Warzone 2102: Omega Squadron

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Warzone 2102: Omega Squadron

Post by Tucalipe »

> Before any of you point me to the "Fun with WZ2120 Storyline" thread, let me say this is something different:
> I'm planning to write this story all the way from the start till the end, which I'll post here.

> As I post, you can rate the chapter, suggest storyplot changes, or just enjoy the reading, but I want to make it clear that this is planned to be a complete story with beginning, middle and end. And I hope you like it ^^

Chapter One - Out of the Ashes

"After many long months of struggle, we defeated NEXUS. The war started by Dr. Reed was over. We have recovered many of the technologies we sought. It is now time to use them to rebuild the New World slowly. Out of the ashes, we will rise again."
With these words said over the comm link, Luke opened his commander's tank hatch, and breathed the cold air of the mountains. It was indeed over.
As he brought his tank back to the base, he could see fireworks being shot above the headquarters. Soldiers, technicians, scientists and officers were outside, watching a big screen with news from the remains of Alpha Squadron and Beta Squadron. NEXUS' black units simply powered themselves down, with no one to commandeer them.
– Commander Stevens! Commander Stevens! – an officer approached Luke's tank calling for him.
– Yes? – he replied
– Commander Lowry wants to talk to you. He's on the debriefing room.
– Aye. I'm heading there right now.
– Leave the tank here. I'll have a technician take it in.
Luke stepped out of his tank, and wore his heavy white and blue winter coat, and quickly ran between the partying mob down to the headquarters. There, he proceeded to the debriefing room.
– Commander, we have defeated NEXUS. Reports from Alpha Squadron and Beta Squadron remains confirm NEXUS' units have de-activated. We are ready to send in the Omega Squadron, have you appointed its commander? – Luke overheard the conversation, between The Project Major, and Commander Robert Lowry.
– Commander? Commander Luke Stevens, at your service, sir! – said Luke as he entered the dark debriefing room.
– Major, here he is. I have appointed commander Luke Stevens as Omega Squadron's commander. He has excelled himself ever since we met The Collective. He has been climbing through the ranks, and even when he lost contact with the main headquarters, he kept his soldiers alive and brought them back home. I believe he is up for the job.
– Very well, commander. Commander Stevens, you are now appointed as Omega Squadron's Commanding Officer. Omega will be responsible to protect the rebuilding efforts on Alpha, Beta and Gamma areas. You are to coordinate with their commanding officers. For now, you are required to return to The Project's HQ, from where you will receive further instructions.
– Yes, ma'am. Understood, ma'am.
– Dismissed. – said the Major.
Suddenly, the automated car factory came to life. The droids, started tearing each other apart, as they attached each other's arms to a car body, essentially creating a humanoid looking Frankenstein-like droid. As it became completed, it came to life and started tearing the factory down, with welders and lasers. In less than 12 hours, the car factory, and the adjacent computer system and airplane factories were stripped down, as the humanoid looking droids carried whatever they found away. A few kilometres away, they stopped, and started building what looked an unusual structure, as if it wasn't designed by humans. No windows, no doors, no markings. Only a plain building. Inside, a few computers activated themselves while the droids tapped into power distribution networks.
– Nev-nev-never. Depend on hu-hu-hum-m-man technolog-g-gy to conquer the world.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Warzone 2102: Omega Squadron

Post by Rman Virgil »

Enjoyable & inspiring. :) Interesting touches with the details like, for example, the Major being female. It's very generous of you to be explicitly receptive to sub-plot suggestions. I'll think upon that as you continue to grow the story. It is one of my fundamental tenets that story is the Prime Mover in anything that manifests as tangible reality.

This story, even just in its beginning, is suggestive of how to proceed with a sequel to the original campaign....

In the original a Nexus special ability was self-repair, here you are going down the road of self-assemblage from bits and pieces found in the environment. The father of Cybernetics was the genius John von Neumann and he also postulated this ability in the 1940s and called it Self-Replicating Automata. This would also factor into creating distinct Faction MP game play...

Very promising start, Tucalipe. :D

Regards, RV 8)

JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

YEEHAW! It's time to rock and roll, boys :twisted:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Chapter 2 - Proceed South

The transport landed with a thwomp sound, and Luke exited it, towards the main HQ. Things have changed a lot since the last time he was there… The landing pads were replaced by automated rearming and refueling pads, which were now assisting the recently landed transport. Barracks were built, as now more and more have joined the Project's lines, either as a scientist, or a soldier.
Nearby, he saw many stormbringer defenses unmanned, as all efforts were now dedicated to restoring the mankind to its full glory.
As Luke walked down the now paved path leading to the main HQ, officers and high level scientists congratulated him for his promotion. Becoming a squadron commanding officer wasn't an easy task. One must excel himself to catch a commander's eye. Proceeding into the HQ, instead of climbing down the stairs leading to the basement facilities, he was directed to get the elevator to the top most floor, as the debriefing room was now there, as there was no fear of nuclear attacks anymore. Entering the debriefing room, Luke could see the major's chair, occupied. However, she had her back to him, so he couldn't see her face.
– Commander Luke Stevens, at your service, ma'am.
– At ease, commander. – she said, and she turned herself to Luke. Finally her face was illuminated by the rooms lighting. – Please pay attention to the holograms. – and as she said that, a hologram of USA west coast appeared before them. – You are to focus your efforts mainly on Alpha and Beta previous HQ locations. Since they were destroyed, we'll need all the manpower available to rebuild them to a minimal state. You have free use of whatever unit available on this base to achieve your mission. I'll assign a transport for your squadron, but for now, you are free to use Alpha and Beta transports. Please take care, as Alpha transport vessel is on an experimental stage, since the last one was downed by The Collective. We have replaced the turbolift technology with the jet VTOL tech, and our experiments adapting the VTOL technology to ships larger than a Dragon VTOL bomber weren't as successful as I'd appreciate them to be. Still, make free use of them.
– Understood, ma'am.
– Dismissed.
Luke left the debriefing room and proceeded to the strategic planning room, a dimmed-lit room with satellite maps, as well comm links to local factories, hangars and other squadrons' HQ's. After assigning his task force, comprised of a few cyborg engineers, and a handful of assault guns, he joined them on Beta transport, while Alpha took oil drums and an the newly developed hydrogen fuel cells.
After quite a while, the replicator's door opened. A dark green metallic body was then grabbed by an android with much ease, while it would take a human a great effort to even lift the body from the ground. The android carefully laid the body and connected a cable to the back of its head. A few seconds later
– Aaaarghh!!! – screamed NEXUS as he melded with his new body. Apparently the process was somewhat painful, as he still struggled for several minutes. His body vocal adapters started replicating his voice, which echoed through the dark and empty replicating factory. After a few moments, NEXUS sat and stood up. He looked at his hands. His body was flawless. No joints, no welds. Perfect. The dark green metallic compound has several photo-emitters/receivers that served as NEXUS' radar. From the outside, the emitters worked in such a way that the radar pulses skimmed through the body's surface via neural adapters, which made them look like blood veins.
– Ah! It's is good to feel alive once again. I shall now proceed to the next step to conquer this world. – he said. And as NEXUS left the replicating factory and walked outside, he could see his new black transports, that shared the same photo-emitting layer feature his new body had, loading unmanned units, trucks and tanks, paired with VTOL's. The transport's AI ran then the first script programmed into it: "Procceed south. Take all replicable matter. Establish NEXUS base."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks! I like tending to details as I think they're most of a story core. Otherwise it becomes a bland documentary :P
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Oh, the first encounter after the war. Can't wait to read the next chapter..
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Oh, the first encounter after the war. Can't wait to read the next chapter..
Me too. I look forward your intense action sequences. :)

But also, as the saying goes in engineering or design - "God's in the details.... so is the devil.."

2 details - on the Project side, "newly developed hydrogen fuel cells" and on the Nexus side, "Take all replicable matter..."

These are what I would call major game changers - & mean that in a most positive way. That is to say categorically, if ever a sequel campaign were to be created it would need something along these lines to re-invent game play a natural step beyond the original in ways strikingly fresh and compelling.

This too, I look forward to seeing how you handle - integrate into your battle sequences, for one.

- RV :ninja:
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

excellent story ^_^ it's great to see some more posted up, maybe i can bump into you with my story? hahaha jks
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Jan 14th, 2012
- Commander, our satellites are detecting unusual radiation levels near Texas.
- Of course, soldier. Texas was one of NEXUS' main targets of his nuke attacks. It's bound to be some radiation left there. Why?
- Sir, sorry, sir, but the radiation levels are higher than they should be. It's interfering with our sensors. We can't scout the area from high orbit.
- Very well… I'll assign a scout force. You are dismissed. – and as Luke said those words, his fellow soldier left the briefing room. Luke resumed evaluating his reports on Gamma and Alpha rebuilding plans. After a moment, though, he went to the nearby window, and looked outside. He saw, down there, the city, already brimming with life. Trucks brought in supplies from the city's outskirts. People leaving their apartments to their workplaces, the traffic down below was almost hidden by the VTOL taxis. New Manhattan was striving. They were doing quite well for a country's capital. At a distance, he could see the palace plaza. There, a statue was erected, depicting a soldier holding NEXUS' head on a symbolic gesture. The human race went on undefeated by Dr. Reed's avatar.
He then sat back on his desk and reviewed the new bodies' plans. Although he didn't test Dagger and Spear himself, he was very fond of Lance, as his experience with the Python body as a commander allowed him to point out enhancements and systems that should be focused on. After assigning a small scout force of the new bodies, he just sat back on his chair, and watched the news on a small TV screen.
- Alright boys, take care out there. The new Spear bodies are radioactive protected, but if you get a pressure failure, radioactive atmosphere might get in. This radiation is blocking my communications with New Manhattan, I'll get clear of the interference and be back by 1200 hours.
- Understood - replied the tank's driver. - Thanks for the ferrying. - and as he said that, the transport took off and flew away, leaving the scout force by themselves. - Check your systems, and let's chart this area. Command wants us to locate the radioactive source.
- Aye sir!
And they went into the sandy, foggy, radioactive atmosphere, with searchlights on, and eyes wide open.
- Scout force Kappa, come in! Kappa, come in! - said the transport's pilot, over the comm link. She then landed the transport, and left the cabin to strech her legs. Walking on the transports' small passages surrounding the cargo hold, she could see nothing outside the windows but fog. Even with the searchlights on, there was nothing out there to be seen. Until, over the comm link, the transport's computer warned "Attention. Manhattan standard distress call detected. Source is closing in. Enable IFF-aimed machineguns, and prepare to open bay doors is suggested. Engage?"
- Yes. Prep everything for their arrival.
A few moments later, Kappa scout force tanks entered the cargo hold, but they gave no response to the transport pilot.
- Hey guys? Are you there? - she said as she approached the tanks, covered in sand. She then climbed the group leader's tank, and tried to open the hatch. However, before she even managed to do so, the transport's computer warned "Attention. Unidentified comp…" but the voice then slowed down until a halt. The previous voice was then replaced by a male, metallic and threatening voice: "You know… I wouldn't open that, if I were you…".
- NEXUS!? - she screamed, and as she did so, the tanks hatch popped open, revealing a thin grey cloud, and no driver. She fell down from the tank to the floor while the mist left the tanks cabin and hovered on her direction. As the mist engulfed her, she could smell orange… It was very weird… A few seconds later, she started coughing. Then she coughed blood. She felt an acute pain on her chest, as if her lungs were being torn apart. She ran to the cabin, trying to activate the ship's self destruct sequence. Running became harder and painful as she felt her muscles lose strength. Her legs were bleeding, as well her arms. When she got to the cabin, she tried to send a distress call, but she couldn't feel the tip of her fingers. She had no fingertips to type with anymore. She barely could stand on her feet. With the last strength she had, she crawled to a red lever nearby the pilot's chair. The lever was taped "Self Destruct - 1 minute".
The transport started taking off, and the map started showing as the final destination "New Manhattan". "Aha! So there's where you are, commander!"
A minute later, the explosion could be seen from only a few meters due to the heavy fog. And the radioactivity denied New Manhattan's knowledge of what happened there.
Many kilometres south,
- Test successful, NEXUS. Awaiting further scripts and instructions.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Continue. Please.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

That's getting really interesting and attractive, keep up the great storyline, can't wait for the next one :3

Regards BP
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

Excellent, poor pilot, she tried ^_^
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Chapter 3: Omega Sector.

– No response from the transport ma'am . – reported Luke
– Very well, commander Stevens. I think it's time to expand our territory down there. You are to establish a forward base, explore for possible lost technologies, and ultimately, eradicate the radioactive source. How to accomplish this mission is up to you. You are to report each advance on the mission directly to me. Understood?
– Yes, ma'am.
– Very well. Dismissed.

With that said, Luke left the briefing room, and proceeded back to his own office. After assigning a few of the new trucks and engineers, as well some tanks, he gathered all the units, information and power cells needed and boarded the Omega transport due south.

Arriving at the location, Luke stayed on the transport's flight cabin while the trucks raised new building, including the Mark 4 forward HQ. It was a very impressive advance on the technology of sensory monitoring, command offices and officer's quarters. New Manhattan's technicians managed to gather the best features from the previous HQ models they had encountered during the NEXUS war and designed this new building. As for the other buildings, little had changed, as the main difference now was that the new factories were now able to manufacture the New Manhattan's bodies with ease, and more importantly, quickly.

As Luke ordered the first defenses to be raised, more units to be manufactured and power sources found, he sent a one-way message reporting the successful establishment of Omega base on that sector. Then he went to a nearby window to oversee his military base. Unlike New Manhattan's military base he was used to, surrounded by a metropolis, Omega base was a spot of technology on the middle of a barren land. At the distance, all he could see was dust. Nothing else. Although Luke was safe there, he couldn't stop remembering Alpha base… Although closer to what some would call civilization, Alpha was as barren as Omega.
Of course, Alpha was now a blooming city, dedicated to resource extraction and sea exploration. Maybe Omega could become something more than a simple military base as well?

– NEXUS module 3 reports: Bombards are ready for deployment.
– NEXUS module 7 reports: Jet bombers are ready for deployment.
– Good! Execute… – and as NEXUS gave that order, its driverless units proceeded toward Omega base.

(I know this chapter is quite "empty", but the next one will be good enough for both chapters :P)
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Very captivating! I most certainly will keep an eye on this thread :)

Thank you Tucalipe
-- Ambrose Bierce
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

its picking up it seems, im very interested in this, i love this story and the potential it has, please for the love of god post more ^_^
jimmyfluore
New user

Post by jimmyfluore »

what ever the story goes.... i ll try translate it into chinese. i love SFs. wz2100 story attracted me much.