Tower Defence

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: Tower Defence

Post by Terminator »

DOTA - in warzone - how about that ? :D
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

Terminator wrote:DOTA - in warzone - how about that ? :D
hm.. nah.. too much work to implement something like dota and the balancing is so heavy... just stick to dota or some other games in this genre (HoN, LoL, Avalon Heroes...)
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

I played the one from Madcow Interactive last night and I have to say, that I never played TD-Games before!! Anyway I like the idea and I think it would be agreat addition to the "Challenges". Maybe not putting another point to the menu. They fit nicely in the challenges. ;) ...and as we got only 3 set, since they got built in, they should go there... :D
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
banson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by banson »

a wz td game be awesome. think of how it be with assault cannons and lancers firing. or wach your artilery have fun with flamers burning them up
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

hehe ya, thats a nice td game ^^.
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

...is there something in the making? :)
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Nah...
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

You can make your own tower defense, 7 ai enemies, cheat for all research in skirmish, then build your towers as the ai form a constant stream of attack.

That was not a serious idea.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Id rather devs would make defense towers just like units,put together from components i want and then saved, i still dont see how it would be bad.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Aftermath
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aftermath »

Thankyou for directing me to this threas m1ndgames, its good to know i was not alone in spotting the similarites between warzone and tower defence games.

From what i've been thinking, the issues to overcome are:-

AI spawning :- they can be brought in by transports just like they do in the campaign (the mission where the New Para assault Alpha base).

AI dont use weapons! :- AI 'creeps' in TD games dont usually fight back, they simply charge towards the intended target and blow up kamakazi style. You would need to have the AI on 'hold fire' stance at all times. The creeps/drones would have turrets they just wouldnt use them (maybe you could use the turret as away of demonstrating the difficulty of the creep or as a visual way of showing an escalation in difficulty level. You would then have to have it blow up when it reached the the players base structure and take of damage.

Path :- in a typical TD game the player cannot use his towers to completely block a path, the creeps would always need a route through. Offcourse bottlenecks and choke points are part of the strategy but a complete blockade is a no no. All i can think of is the script that prevents base structures from being built side to side, that ensures you always leave a 1 tile gap. Maybe this could be set on defences.

Types of creeps :- Fast but low health (light bodies, light weapons), average speed, average health (medium bodies, medium weapons), slow, high health (heavy bodies/heavy weapons). Same applies to Vtols (yes TD games can have air units!). Offcourse you would also have supercreep versions that act as a boss every 10 waves or so.

Upgrades :- Simple way is to demolish and replace old models with new as you research better weapons like you would in a normal WZ game. Another way would be to upgrade like for like turrets on hard points etc. So MG upgrades to TMG then HMG then AG then DAG etc. this would be v.useful in the vanilla game actually, the fact it isnt in probably means this would take a lot of work to implement.

End Game :- There isnt one, unless you die!!! TD games keep going until the creeps overwhelm you by becomeing too tough/too numerous to destroy.

Finally, Balancing :- lots of testing to ensure the creep difficulty increases at an appropriate rate inline with research times and oil gain.
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

i made a quick testTD map to play around with, i dont know anything about the games scripting language, or lua (is the branch stable and up2date?)... but i know there are some ppl here who created great mods and maybe could help to solve those points.. but 1st a question: For single player TD's, maps must be compiled as campaign map.. what type should i set and how do they differ? (i used type 1 for the testmap)

ToDo:

Generall:
- Whole map discovered... (Could be simulated by adding the Satelite Uplink feature to the Command Centre)

Ai:
- Should spawn enemies at Collective Command Centre in waves, e.g every X seconds...
- Shouldnt build any Buildings.
- Can only move on Dirt. (VTOLS too!)
- Should walk to Players Command Centre.
- Enemie waves should get harder by every sequence.. the balancing could be done over the amount of $ you get per kill.

Player:
- Has X lifes at the start. The Command Centre is invincible.
- Loses a life when a enemie unit damages the command centre, the unit destroy itself after 1 attack.
- Has lost when Life-Count reaches 0.
- Can only build defensive structures.
- Gets $ with every Unit he kills + a small bonus for every wave he cleares.

Anything to add/change?

How can we help more? :)
Attachments
testTD.7z
testTD sample Map
(447.22 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
icyflames
Trained
Trained

Post by icyflames »

wz towerdefence would be amazing thanks.
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

Mysteryem wrote:Ah, yes, I remember when Gerard was working on tower defence as part of the lua branch. He had me create a simple mock up map for him to test it on. (I've got it somewhere if you want it)

- Mysteryem
I would like this, do you still got it?
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Most of what your talking about would be simple with scripting. You may want to wait until JavaScript works because working with wzscript is pure torture :annoyed: One thing you couldn't do is restrict vtol movement, but with carefuly placed cliffs that wouldn't be a problem.

I could do a simple test map with scripts but I don't have time to do more what with cam 4 and all. :wink:
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I have most of the script done should have a playable POC in a few days/weeks :wink:
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual