2d map editing removed!!!!!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

2d map editing removed!!!!!

Post by lav_coyote25 »

no please. ;D

it is needed to do the gate way placement...

# [Thu 03:50:44pm] per * r1501 /trunk/ (19 files in 2 dirs):
# [Thu 03:50:44pm] Remove the unused 2D map editing code. We are never going there... Notice
# [Thu 03:50:44pm] that files are removed, so rerun your build systems!
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: 2d map editing removed!!!!!

Post by DevUrandom »

You place gateways ingame?
And I could bet that Per did not remove what was accessible somehow. (Means: The functions of edit2d were probably used nowhere.)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

i dunno... is it possible?    ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

In-game 2D map editing was apparently removed long before the original release, but the code for it was (in a very non-functional form) still preserved inside the sources. I do not know when they removed it, but if I were a betting man, I would bet it was before they made the external map editor. In any case, I do not quite see why you need a 2D map editor in the first place. What it is you cannot edit properly within a 3D map editor?

It would have been a gigantic effort to have salvaged the original in-game 2D map editor, and I stopped believing it was worth the effort, or that it could teach us anything toward making a better in-game 3D map editor.

How do you place gateways in the external editor? I've never used it.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

read about the 3d and 2d screens here - and scroll down to the placement of gateways.

you can do almost all in the 3d screen - but not the placing of gateways.   gateways need to be anywhere from 2 to 6 tiles in length - placed in positions that take advantage of the terrain.  on flat maps - put a cross of at least 6 tiles per arm... it works.

like this:

Code: Select all

-
      -
      -
      -
      -
      -
------ ------
      -
      -
      -
      -
      -
      -
but i see now that the in game version of the editor isnt a particularly good idea....  the standalone version ( even at the state it is in ) is a much better way to design maps.

//DevU: Used fixed with font.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 16 Jun 2007, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.