Challenge: King Of The Hill

For challenge discussions and reports
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Challenge: King Of The Hill

Post by BlueMaxima »

I made a simple challenge. Down the bottom of the hill is an unstoppable enemy defense (at least, until you can beat Assault Guns). You're at the top of the hill, and you need to hold out for as long as you can, or attack and destroy the enemy.

I've only tested this to make sure it loads properly, so don't be surprised if the challenge isn't well made :P

Enjoy!
2c-KothChall.wz
Stick it in the usual place. Contains the map and the challenge.
(8.88 KiB) Downloaded 1086 times
Bring back...ducks!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Challenge: King Of The Hill

Post by NoQ »

unstoppable enemy defense
:lol2:
I remember one history lesson when one pupil said that 'french army has counterretreated' XD
(it sounds pretty close to 'counterattacked' in my language)

P.S. i've put it to ~/.warzone2100-2.3/challenges, but don't see it in the menu anyway. Need some help. :?
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

You need to stick it in your 'maps' directory, mate.
Bring back...ducks!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Sounds interesting. Will test.
Blue Maxima's signture wrote:*cough* nothing to see here *cough*
You should remove that now...
Btw, I still remember :D
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Offfff course you do :P
Bring back...ducks!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Very bad.
Oil is on the borders of the map and can't be built on.

Ofc I do :P
5carhaloface
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5carhaloface »

uh kuky i wanted to ask well im fairly new to this and i wanted to ask if there is a way to edit maps in warzone???
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

No, not in warzone. But there are a HOST of programs available to use. My personal fav is flaME it is for windows however I am trying to port it to mac and emdek is working on porting it to a qt gui. You can get it here http://guide.wz2100.net/files/flail13/f ... Ev1-03.zip

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4630

Should link him direct to the topic, macuser ;)
Bring back...ducks!
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Despite the lack of oil, I was able to win this one. I made a T1, Simple Bases start, which meant that the enemy didn't start
with his line of assault guns. (With no oil, there was no way I was going to be able to take that on). By being very strategic about what I researched, using mostly cyborgs and only the trucks I started with, and making maximal use of a well located repair center,
I was able to take out an AI that clearly either started with vastly more energy than I did, or was cheating to beat the band.
Final statistics - I had 26 units built total, killed something like 150 units, lost 9 of my own; built 6 structures, destroyed 21.
A lot of those structures were 3 module factory and VTOL factories - once I saw the enemy base and knowing that it had no access to oil, the cheating was apparent - stock Warzone AI, set to the middle of the slider.
I did have trucks roaming the map to try to spot oil barrels as they popped up.

Keith
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Heh, crap on a cracker. Probably need to rewrite the whole thing. I originally wanted the AI to be unstoppable :/

But the concept is sound?
Bring back...ducks!
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

I played it through just to see if I could, and it did look a bit rough in the middle there. At one point, my command tank had lost all of it's defensive units, and was holding off a few enemy cyborgs by itself and limping back home while it took near-forever for reinforcments to arrive. Fortunately, it did make it, as I would not have been able to afford to replace it.

At the most abstract level, the concept is ok, but I would think that you would want something of a timer for the player to "win" if they have been able to hold out for so long; not sure if or how you can implement that in this sort of a setting. I'm not sure if the stock AI will do a good job of launching mass attacks - usually what I see is scattered groups of small # of units cruising through to pull off an attack. Dydo-ai might do better. You can lock down the starting settings (bases, power, AI strength) via a .ini file (as was done for the 3 included challenges) but that's probably not called for until it's a bit more playable.

Map: I think the map is probably too large in the vertical dimension; it makes for very long supply lines and I don't think the stock AI does well with that. The map is featureless in the middle, which is a bit boring. If the oil in base was buildable, it probably wouldn't be that hard to hold out for near-indefinite time periods. I would suggest less in-base oil, with perhaps some outside base oil near the AI players defensive line. A more pronounced hill might be a bit nice as well, maybe with cliff edges?
That way the human player has a natural advantage of the hill for defense, but the AI player starts with a superior position and
base defenses.

I think it will take more playtesting to really get this one down.

Keith
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Admittedly it will take some time, I wasn't expecting it to come out even close to 100% ready.
Bring back...ducks!
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

who look at the preview of this map is easy to think that he, the enemy has several strong defenses!
F8R
New user

Post by F8R »

This quite fun challange, I finish this at 39 minutes on Wz 2.3.9.
Attachments
King of The Hill
King of The Hill