Lame ideas from someone who doesn't know how to code...

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Neuralize
Art contributor

Lame ideas from someone who doesn't know how to code...

Post by Neuralize »

Hey, I'm new, but I also bought Warzone 2100 back in the day, and I am so glad that you guys have picked it up and have been slowly patching it back to good health. I may be jumping the gun on these suggestions and some of these may already implemented and I just don't know, anyway, I played a few games of Warzone Resurrection and got to thinking...

Interface:
  • Doubling clicking on one unit should select all units that are the same type of unit.
  • Waypoints (assigned by holding down shift and clicking to assign) should connect with a visible line.
  • When drag selecting a number of units, units with construction turrets should not be selected unless they are the only ones being selected.
  • Scrolling doesn't happen fast enough, too sluggish
  • Fog should be disabled, maybe, zooming out sometimes looks like crap covered in more crap.
  • Minimap should scale all the way out, or at least be resizeable
  • Main view should zoom all the way out and replace units with little icons, like Supreme Commander.
Maybe you guys are not even to this point yet, which is cool. How many people are currently working on the project anyway? This forum needs more stickies with plans! STICKIES WITH PLANS!

This project seems really exciting, due to the fact that so much could be added to already cool rts engine, that said, I've noticed a few things like the game being coded in C. Which seems okay judging from what you've all said.

Additionally: I have done a little programming, probably not enough to account for anything, but if someone wants to take some time and set up a step by step guide that tells me how to compile the Warzone code using opensource software underwindows, that would be cool.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Lame ideas from someone who doesn't know how to code...

Post by lav_coyote25 »

hello there - yep here is the information you requested...

i give the 1 overall link... look in the wiki - for the stuff you need...here!!!

Edit: Giel: add link to wiki
Last edited by Giel on 08 May 2007, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Neuralize
Art contributor

Post by Neuralize »

Few questions. How many people are actively working on this project right now? I would also like to know what people are working on..
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Neuralize wrote: How many people are actively working on this project right now?
Depends on when you call someone active I suppose. But as for the people currently having commit access: https://gna.org/project/memberlist.php?group=warzone from these, the most active people are probably these: http://wz2100.net/team.html
Neuralize wrote: I would also like to know what people are working on..
This differs for each person so I can only talk for myself:
  • school
  • school
  • and yet some more school
  • reimplementing soundsystem (in C++)
  • refactoring current sound system to ease integration of new implementation
  • modifying parts of the resource handling system to read directly from disk rather than an intermediate memory buffer
  • writing a C++ implementation of a lobbyserver (doing that in the breaks during school time), which has to compile cleanly for a mipsel architecture
  • some regular good ol' code cleanups (i.e. turn dirty code into beautiful code, or at least try to do so)
  • some bughunting/squating
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

my todo list:
1.fix the original doubleclick function in 1.xx(pending on patch tracker)
2.the things listed in my signature.(will start a topic asking whether they are desired by the community or not)
3.improve path finding implementation,bump code and obstruction avoidance.
4.expand GUI code a bit by adding some utility/helper functions.
5.finish COMP_ARMOUR and COMP_BRAIN(2 legacy/unfinished features by pumpkin)
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

My Warzone-related TODO list, in order of priority:
  • Fix bugs
  • Improve code quality, readability and maintainability
  • Import/export program for PIE files
  • Improve the 3D engine
  • Rewrite the network code
  • In-game map editor
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

Great ideas, it can make the gameplay easier =)

[Offtopic]
Giel, how old are you?

Btw, my time is like yours =)

School at morning and afternoon 3 times a week, school at saturdays from 8 to 12 a.m, 2~4 tests per week.

In the middletimes i have to train Pump it Up! (National league is in july \o/), do some texture design for warzone and lose my time at msn messenger =) (And also, i have to finish my cosplay to an Event this month =\)

I'll do at least three texpages and show it up this month =]

Later i'll make a WZ website in portuguese, with downloads and how-to-play, attepting to call more brazilian players and, maybe, developers to this forum
krushia
Greenhorn

My dream

Post by krushia »

My todo list:

Get every FOSS RTS team to converge and create a new universal engine that combines the highlights of each project, with an end result that will fix every problem you can think of.  Would bring together a unified group of developers from the Glest, Spring, Warzone, Globulation, Boson, Dark Oberon, ORTS, etc. communities to come up with a solution that everyone will like.  So far the closest thing to this dream is the Command Engine (www.osrts.info) project, but it was started and currently consists of mostly Spring developers - which may mean it is too biased to achieve this goal (but the only way to find out is to join them).
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Kyor wrote: Giel, how old are you?

... and lose my time at msn messenger ...
As for how old I am, I'll leave that as a surprise to your calculator; I was born at the fifteenth of January in the year nineteen-hundred-eighty-eight.

Well I personally dislike most IM software (its just a fast variant of e-mail, which costs more time).
krushia wrote: My todo list:
That's not a TODO list, more of a wish item (not a list, only one item). ;)
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

Giel wrote: As for how old I am, I'll leave that as a surprise to your calculator; I was born at the fifteenth of January in the year nineteen-hundred-eighty-eight.

Well I personally dislike most IM software (its just a fast variant of e-mail, which costs more time).
Well, you're 19 years old but... Aren't you in the university? o.o

Actually i like it because i can talk with my friends without wait for the weekend, but normally i just let it online and get doing another things... i dont catch people to talk with'
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Kyor wrote: Aren't you in the university? o.o
Not yet
krushia
Greenhorn

Post by krushia »

Giel wrote:That's not a TODO list, more of a wish item (not a list, only one item). ;)
You have a point there, but I have a feeling my list is too long already  ::)
mcdebugger
Trained
Trained

Post by mcdebugger »

I would like to see an ingame avaliability to manually choose a game port for NetGame (not only std. 9999  :) ). And it would be great to create a separate WZ application for Netgame serve (server app)
Hardware: MacBook Pro 13 2015
Software: macOS 10.15 Catalina
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

The netcode needs a bigger rewrite. Important is -in my opinion- to change to a P2P like netcode.
This means, if the host (the initiator of the game) leaves the game, to whole game doesn't get canceled.
While playing.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.