Commandline poll

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

Do you want to use a command line to launch Warzone?

Yes, I prefer the command line
32%
No, I prefer double-clicking its icon or other methods
54%
What's a command line?
14%

Total votes: 37

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Commandline poll

Post by Zarel »

Why yes, this is a poll for the sole reason of illustrating a point. :P

On a related note, how do you guys like the fact that you no longer need to use the command-line to use cheats in 2.3?
icefire
Trained
Trained

Re: Commandline poll

Post by icefire »

z0mg i luv ze CLI :(
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I voted for "yes", but I don't use cheats at all, usually I use console for config dir, or --join, & so on...for system commands :ninja:
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

:roll: What will this prove ? Nothing.

Of course, if people have the option of using a command line or not, then, most on windows / mac will say they rather not. Most on linux will laugh at you.
and it ends here.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Buginator wrote::roll: What will this prove ? Nothing.

Of course, if people have the option of using a command line or not, then, most on windows / mac will say they rather not. Most on linux will laugh at you.
I do miss the command line in 3DSMax (I'm much more accostumated to AutoCAD), and have already found myself opening some 3 windows and changing some settings because I've tried to type "extrude", for example :lol2:

But I kind of agree with Buginator on this one, this is rather a question of OS style. I've already heard many times about how most linux types make an awesome usage of command lines, and was always kind of wishful that I will someday have the courage to try using it instead of windows (here it's a real PITA with formats, because 90% of the people use windows, the other 10% are split between linux and mac, therefore you must always save things in windows-compatible formats if you ever plan on sending someone a file).

But really, allowing support for something simple is always a good idea, if it doesn't stand in the way (so that people who want to use it will find it but people who don't, won't see things they've never used, taking space).

I can't really understand what's the origin of this argument, I guess it's from the devs forum? :hmm:

Anyway, in my current state (windows user :ninja: ) I really can't see how I would benefit from being able to run the game via command line. I can even assign a keyboard shortcut (ctrl+shift+W maybe) if I want to open the game really quickly, but I only use command prompt to easily view my IP configurations (ipconfig -all) because I'm used to use the GUI for almost everything, and just because of that. My AutoCAD experience allows me to say that the proper usage of a command line makes any operation some 10 times faster (I can't remember where the heck "flatshot" icon could be, I'd waste some 3 minutes searching for it, but I can simply type "fshot" in the command line or even change it to whatever I wish)

So, command lines are AWESOME, but they must allow you to customize commands in an easy way, and the commands must ALL be composed in a logical, standard manner (AutoCAD commands use the same abbreviation logic to all commands, so it's easy to find a command by typing your guesses in the command line, and it's usually faster than searching the menus). But launching the game requires a simple <logo key>+D and double click on the icon I already know where is, so that would barely benefit from command line access, IMO.

~Olrox
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Olrox wrote:I can't really understand what's the origin of this argument, I guess it's from the devs forum? :hmm:
IRC channel, to be exact. Buggy and stiv want to drop support for autoload folders, forcing command-line for loading mods; I disagreed.

This poll really isn't about that, though. I just wanted to know how many Warzone users used command-lines. So all you detractors can just stop projecting their insecurities onto this poll, please. ;)
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Talking about PITA, having to update the command line with each upgrade of a mod (like DyDo) that is undergoing intensive development is such a thing.

I think the idea of the autoload folder is very good indeed. But maybe, Zarel, your poll should have specified the folder issue. As it stands, it doesn't mean a great deal. In Windoews, anyway, the command line would be used only to modify the basic app. A s'cut icon would be used otherwise as a matter of course.

So, I vote to keep the autoload folder.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zydonk wrote:But maybe, Zarel, your poll should have specified the folder issue.
For like the seventeenth time, this poll is not about that. :(

I made this poll because I wanted to know how many people used the command line. No more, no less. Why I wanted to know that is completely irrelevant for the purposes of answering the question, and knowing it could introduce bias.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

From my point of view, the CMD is somewhat obsolete, at least on windows. It might be fine for development or as interface for launcher applications, but we shouldn't rely on it anymore for anything really game related.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Zarel wrote: IRC channel, to be exact. Buggy and stiv want to drop support for autoload folders, forcing command-line for loading mods; I disagreed.
To be even more exact, the suggestion is to turn off the autoload feature until Zarel can implement it completely. Right now, anytime you copy something in or out of the autoload folder you are breaking your saved games or messing up network play. The goal is to have a working system to manage mods.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

stiv wrote:To be even more exact, the suggestion is to turn off the autoload feature until Zarel can implement it completely. Right now, anytime you copy something in or out of the autoload folder you are breaking your saved games or messing up network play. The goal is to have a working system to manage mods.
To be even more exact than that, I just fixed "breaking your saved games" (#1746) (and you make it sound permanent - you can restore the savegames by reloading your old mods), and I already told you yesterday that I fixed "messing up network play" like two months ago, so I'm not sure what we're arguing about.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I never used to like command lines but I got a neat little utility that lets you run .exe, .bat, .cmd, ect files with a command line by right clicking on them, then choosing "Run with command line" and typing your commands in the resulting dialog box, hence a vote for "Other Methods". :)
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Zarel wrote:so I'm not sure what we're arguing about.
I would ask "Who is arguing?", but the last thing I want is to get into an argument about whether we are arguing or not.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

stiv wrote:
Zarel wrote:so I'm not sure what we're arguing about.
I would ask "Who is arguing?", but the last thing I want is to get into an argument about whether we are arguing or not.
Now that's an argument :hmm:

Nevermind, I guess that the poll already indicates that most users don't want to launch the game using a command line. Some of them aren't even sure about what command line you're talking about 8)

The idea does sound weird, because the operation is just so simple, and I guess that most users have a shortcut for WZ2100 in their desktops in a location they've already memorized.

According to this poll, no other result could be more expected: only 24% of the users have Linux, 4% of those use a Windows/Linux dual boot system. Since Linux is the OS that makes better use of the command line, we could expect that the majority would stick with double clicks or any other methods, which are most frequently used in Windows and MAC. And some Linux users might have the habit of using those same methods by the force of habit.

But I'm still intrigued, because I'm still figuring out how the folder thing is related to launch WZ, even though both things involves using comand line or not, but the purpose of this poll was already (at least partially, but with clear projections) achieved. Anyway, if the devs want to make the decision about the folder thing public, they will create a topic, I think. Discussing about it here is off-topic, and is confusing anyone that isn't informed about the whole thing, IMO :hmm:

~Olrox
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

How about a poll on if people like a blue sky? Image