Campaign with lua

For AI and campaign script related discussions and questions
Samowar
Trained
Trained

Re: Campaign with lua

Post by Samowar »

Per wrote:If you look at the lua code converted from VLO files, they use zero-indexed arrays (which are legal in lua, but not exactly encouraged or recommended) but at great cost to code readability. So we should probably change this.
OK, I think I formulated it wrong. The problem in Alpha6 was that the SLO file initialized two arrays of two groups each. Now the first error was that these became Array() in Lua. When I changed them to {Group(), Group()} each, they became indices 1 and 2 instead of the 0 and 1 the rest of the scripts expect. Now I don't know what is easier: Changing the initialization (so the arrays are explicitly initialized as Strike1[0]=Group() and Strike1[1]=Group()) or changing all code that deals with these arrays. And I don't know (hence my question) if it's feasible to tweak the converter script so it deals with this matters or if the current version is as good as it gets and whatever errors still remain are to be fixed by hand.
Samowar
Trained
Trained

Post by Samowar »

Samowar wrote:And I don't know (hence my question) if it's feasible to tweak the converter script so it deals with this matters or if the current version is as good as it gets and whatever errors still remain are to be fixed by hand.
Hello? Is there still any interest in developing the lua branch? If yes, I see two possible roads:

1. Someone writes a better converter which fixes the faults I've posted here. That someone won't be me; however, I'd be ready to test the results.

2. Someone takes the scripts as they are produced by the current converter and fixes them manually. I'm ready to be that someone (at least for the campaign scripts). However, in that case, life would be much easier if the lua scripts were under version control so I could easily produce svn-diffs and post them in trac.

I think the decision is up to the devs.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Samowar wrote:
Samowar wrote:And I don't know (hence my question) if it's feasible to tweak the converter script so it deals with this matters or if the current version is as good as it gets and whatever errors still remain are to be fixed by hand.
Hello? Is there still any interest in developing the lua branch? If yes, I see two possible roads:

1. Someone writes a better converter which fixes the faults I've posted here. That someone won't be me; however, I'd be ready to test the results.

2. Someone takes the scripts as they are produced by the current converter and fixes them manually. I'm ready to be that someone (at least for the campaign scripts). However, in that case, life would be much easier if the lua scripts were under version control so I could easily produce svn-diffs and post them in trac.

Can you post a diff of what you have done so far?
I also don't think the devs are around, except for Zarel.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Samowar wrote:Hello? Is there still any interest in developing the lua branch? If yes, I see two possible roads:

Since the main lua dev is not around at the moment, I suppose we could go ahead with committing the script results to the lua branch, and improve them by hand. I do not think anyone, including its author, wants to modify the conversion script further. I will look into it once I am back from Easter vacation.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

I thought there was something the script needs to be adapted for? Don't remember what that was, though... Anyway, committing the scripts might be nice, since it helps making the branch run on other platforms. But wasn't the plan to have the converter script for old mods? So if the script isn't doing all the work itself, we also need a guide on how to fix stuff later...
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
dmkp wrote:What's "lua"?

http://www.lua.org/about.html

It's interesting, I've started to learn about lua some days ago, I think I have to raise a little the rythm for being able to give a hand. :)
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I recently made some modifications to the wz2lua.py script at Per's request. More work is certainly possible. I have not been following the lua branch closely so hints and suggestions are welcome.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Samowar wrote:

I don't see any changes in point 1.
For point 2, I don't understand the reason for not doing this? Everything should be under version control, should it not?
How can you produce svn-diffs on something that isn't in version control? O_o
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

An off-topic conversation was split to What Lua is
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

For what it is worth, I think the plan will be to commit the generated scripts into SVN, then we can go from there.

Sorry for the delay.
and it ends here.