Re-done PIEs

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Re-done PIEs

Post by Watermelon »

Actually I think even CC2 looks better than warzone...despite its isometric nature and pretty aged 2D engine...
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

tiberium sun? seriously? i will definitely say they got the lighting (except for the fact that shadows tend to be in bizarre directions) and colors just right, but...
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

kage wrote: tiberium sun? seriously? i will definitely say they got the lighting (except for the fact that shadows tend to be in bizarre directions) and colors just right, but...
yes their lighting and shadow are some sort of hacks(a static bmp appended to the object),but their special effects are much better than warzone's,warzone's sfx's are somewhat ugly and repetitive,like the cannon/missile/whatever shell ammo explosion(just a 2Dsprite with a very big low resolution flame thing) and the randomly launched components upon droid destruction,also the lack of smaller combatant such as infantry makes the big tanks less formidable and impressive.Even though there are innumerable combinations of different weapon/body/prop,but the large scale battles in warzone still look homogeneous because of the obsoleteness of diversity.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 used voxel.
And the effect just seems to be good, because they are created static.
Means, in C&C was a fixed view, so you could make the FX look very-nice.

Btw: « Reply #91 on: Today at 13:37:02 » *g*
(I don't know why i notice such things...)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

well, yeah, the effects in tiberium sun do look better, but you're talking about, as Kamaze pointed out, a 2d game -- moreover one made by a company with a lot of financial backing and what must be a relatively long list of employed artists, compared to a bleeding-3dge (pun intended) project published by a company (eidos) that probably only funded pumpkin studios just enough to put out the green-lit game and some support before giving it the axe.

interesting note on the use of voxels: i hadn't any idea, and am somewhat intrigued that they were used, given that you are trading memory usage for processor time (compared to generating a set of sprites) when each unit can only face a finite number of directions in those games.
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

These are my Vipers.
Attachments
sshot1.JPG
Sorry for my English:)
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

eikei wrote: These are my Vipers.
Wow, that's awesome! the models don't really fit in the game but put that aside and they're amazing.
Did you create your own textures or are you using the games originals ? Plz post some more screenshots.
Things like this make me happy :)
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

Wow, that's awesome! the models don't really fit in the game but put that aside and they're amazing.
Did you create your own textures or are you using the games originals ? Plz post some more screenshots.
Things like this make me happy
Here are some other screenshots:
Attachments
sshot4.JPG
sshot3.JPG
sshot2.JPG
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

Did you create your own textures or are you using the games originals ?
I created my own textures for the models. Original textures are too small to make a detalized model, so I decided to take different texture for each object. I placed them into the 'Texpages' folder in 'Grim's mod' and added titlse to 'wrf' files.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

eikei wrote: I created my own textures for the models. Original textures are too small to make a detalized model, so I decided to take different texture for each object. I placed them into the 'Texpages' folder in 'Grim's mod' and added titlse to 'wrf' files.
that's amazing. This community could definetly use a great texture artist. i d love  to see you work on some of the original textures.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Hatsjoe wrote: that's amazing. This community could definetly use a great texture artist. i d love  to see you work on some of the original textures.
I totally approve this. :)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Even I didnt expect somethig like that from - eikei :) Big respect !
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

that is unbelievably amazing. now all we need is some way to make those wheels rotate and tilt. if there's anything i can do to help -- file hosting, backup space, whatever, just let me know.

oh, kamaze... i think you have 4 new screenshots.
Computerboy319
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Computerboy319 »

God, I wish I had a texturer on my project...
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Those vipers are awesome!
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."