Rough Naval Unit

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Re: Rough Naval Unit

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Carme Taika wrote:What makes you think saying "Naval unit" without the Littoral part attached to it;
Thus it's likely it's more or less a hovercraft that is not committed to the sea;

Means WW2 style Behemoths?
Dude, living in Washington state you should be able to sling together a proper english sentence. If I get your babbling right, you think littoral combat vessels to be some kind of hover or otherwise amphibious unit. This is not the case. They are purely naval vehicles optimized for maximum speed in coastal waters but may also operate on the high seas. Among them are hydrofoils, swath ships, trimarans and hydroplanes (that have nothing to do with flying but glide over the water surface rather than cut through it). We're not discussing how naval units in WZ could be constructed, since it's commonly agreed long since they would use the same modular system as other vehicles and probably the same bodies and weapons. It's all about the artistic aspects of how the ship hulls should look like.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

I see;
Well as to my English, I just let it flow out, I'm no so good at trimming run-on sentences...
Anyhow, yes, Naval units right... err... Trimarans? why that? are Catamarans out dated now?
Gotta have triple hulls now to be "in" ?

I did know what a Hydroplane was, also I'm a regular to the internet,
so I know to look up anything I don't understand :)

What I'm getting from this discussion then, is that people do infact want Naval units, BUT they should have a different art direction than WW2-like ships/Ocean-liners and stuff of the present age...?

Well err I just threw together something here, umm... Trimarans then... like this?

Here's an attachment of my mesh so you can explore it in 3D: ( .blend = Blender 3D)

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

I checked on those, but well, they're nice, I still think naval units are a good idea to pursue...
Eventually this community will take the time to make a whole new engine for the game;
Sure, it hasn't happened in over 5 years so far,
but remember as an example: Team Fortress Classic to Team Fortress 2 from ValVe took at least as long.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Carme Taika wrote:err... Trimarans? why that? are Catamarans out dated now?
Gotta have triple hulls now to be "in" ?
Not necessarily. I just listed what designs have up to now been been used in the construction of real life littoral combat vessels. General Dynamics employed the trimaran design mainly or it offering the broad deck of a catamaran combined with the large central hull of a monohull ship. The first is needed for heliports, the latter to incorporate a well-deck. Plus, as I know from my on experience from sports sailing, a catamaran is anything but seaworthy. There are some examples of catamarans used as ferries though, but these shut down operation as soon as there is more then light swell.
Your trimaran is interesting to work with. For the sake of poly-count, though, I suggest to skip the guard rail. In-game, the unit will appear to small to take much notice of it anyway and I'm sure Olrox would argue you can fool people into thinking it was there by textures. If I was you, I would place the booms level with the main hull. True, in sail-driven trimarans they exhibit a raised position, but this is to allow for heel when sailing close to the wind. It's not needed on motor-driven craft. With those, the booms should be level to stabilize the vessel close to zero inclination. And you should raise the bow a bit, the current design will be prone to slice in rough sea. Not that WZ had weather conditions, the model would just look more believable. Sorry I can't sketch up a blender model by myself, but I got enough trouble getting to terms with the software I need for my job already.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

I'll revise on that then, but then, throwing that aside, what's everyone's opinion on my MGun turret?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

looks good. and in answer to your trimaran question.... yes , yes it does need to have three hulls to be considered "in". xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Carme Taika wrote:I'll revise on that then, but then, throwing that aside, what's everyone's opinion on my MGun turret?
From what I can see, I didn't like it. Makes no sense using a triangular prism for barrel and leaving a single flat face looking upwards, IMO. You should at least leave of it's 2 faces upwards, because that's the usual position the players see it.

And I couldn't notice any real improvement from the original turret.

Is that an actual hole in the barrel (made as geometry)?

Remember that pie files have limitations on the minimum distance between points. There's info about that on Colditz's Structure Improvements topic.

~Olrox
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

Yes, for untextured display reasons, the barrel is infact made in mesh geometry.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Carme Taika wrote:Yes, for untextured display reasons, the barrel is infact made in mesh geometry.
Oh, I see. It's cuz another member, thelion, made some turret model some time ago, and he made the barrel holes in geometry - effectively adding 72 unnecessary polygons to the model. That's about half than what a whole normal turret should have (in my personal judgement of good-sense, with base on other suggested limits before) :P

Remember that normal mapping (sort of a 3d bump map if you didn't know already) is going to be supported, so that's another way to avoid unecessary geometry detail. The arguably best way to make those maps is having a high-poly verison of your model done & baked as normal map, so you can use high-poly models indirectly for the game.

Just for clarifying ;)

~Olrox
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

huh?? ok here it is...one makes something and the other makes the same thing but different... so when i look at it - what am i going to see... i will see whatever it is supposed to be. ok?? design and keep with in the limits of the engine. when / if it changes - then go and do whatever you need to do to getrdone. k? kthnksbai. xD