Using event chains

For AI and campaign script related discussions and questions
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Using event chains

Post by Per »

The AI scripts are based on events that are called based on defined triggers. This gives basically three ways to get any piece of code run. The first is the classic Pumpkin approach of repeat triggers, where you define that an event should be called every N seconds. Then you define lots of these with varying degrees of delay, for all kinds of tasks. Soon after this project started, support was added for ordinary subroutines, which meant that you could reuse code between events by calling functions. This is the second approach.

However, both the above approaches have significant drawbacks. The repeat trigger approach gives delays between the AI objects being done with a task, and a repeat trigger giving them something new to do. If you set the repeat interval very low, the delay also becomes low but at the cost of quite significant CPU consumption and possible frame rate stutter. The subroutine approach also has the problem of frame rate stutter, as the scripting engine relies on each call into it being quite quick, because the whole game freezes and does nothing while the scripts execute.

There is a third approach that solves both these problems. Instead of calling subroutines, you can trigger events from inside other events. I call this event chaining. You can utilize the game specified triggers to know when your AI objects are likely done with tasks, and fire off an event to check on them the next script frame with a (wait, 1) trigger. This has the advantage of pretty much immediate reaction, but without clogging up the frames. I have been implementing this approach in the current AI, and the results have been quite good so far, with significant improvements to AI reaction times.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Using event chains

Post by Zarel »

Hrm. What about receiving gifted units? Can the AI handle that?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote:Hrm. What about receiving gifted units? Can the AI handle that?
There should be no problem handling that. It is just another trigger. I can check. I know that the AI won't use units given by cheating, but that should be easy to fix.
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

I don't understand how you can test AI changes if it is nondeterministic.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Per wrote: You can utilize the game specified triggers to know when your AI objects are likely done with tasks, and fire off an event to check on them the next script frame with a (wait, 1) trigger.
Can you provide an example of how to do this because I do not understand it. Usually to check if AI objects are done I check their order status with droid.order=something
Per wrote: There is a third approach that solves both these problems. Instead of calling subroutines, you can trigger events from inside other events. I call this event chaining.
You mean replacing the current:

Code: Select all

event doSomething (every,50)
{
...code
doSomeTask();
...code
}
function void doSomeTask()
{
...code
}
with:

event doSomething (every,50)
{
...code
setEventTrigger(doSomeTask,waitAlmostZeroTr ); //where waitAlmostZeroTr = (wait,1)
...code
}
event doSomeTask (inactive)
{
...code
}
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Yes, precisely.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

What about functions which returns some values and which accept parameters?

function BASEOBJ objStrTargetInRange(int _xCoord,int _yCoord, int _Range)
{
  local BASEOBJ _objTarget;
  local int _x,_y,_x1,_y1;
  local int _xx, _yy, _targetPlayer;

_objTarget = NULLOBJECT;
  _Range =  _Range/2 ;

_xx = (mapWidth*128)-(128*2);
  _yy = (mapHeight*128)-(128*2);

_x  = min( _xCoord + _Range , _xx );
  _y  = min( _yCoord + _Range , _yy );
  _x1 = max( _xCoord - _Range , 256);
  _y1 = max( _yCoord - _Range , 256);

_targetPlayer = 0;
  while ( _targetPlayer < MAX_PLAYERS and _objTarget == NULLOBJECT){
    if ( _targetPlayer != player and !friendlyPlayer(_targetPlayer) )
    {
      _objTarget = structTargetInArea(_targetPlayer, player, _x, _y, _x1, _y1);
      if (_objTarget != NULLOBJECT)
      {
        //displayMsg("objStrTargetInRange: dist("& distBetweenTwoPoints(_xCoord, _yCoord, _objTarget.x, _objTarget.y)/TILE &") range ("& _Range/TILE &") - ("& _xCoord/TILE &") ("& _yCoord/TILE &")  ");
        if ( distBetweenTwoPoints(_xCoord, _yCoord, _objTarget.x, _objTarget.y) > _Range ) 
        {
          _objTarget = NULLOBJECT;
        }
      }
    }
    _targetPlayer++;
  }
  return _objTarget;
}

This function return a BASEOBJ within a range in the given coordinates
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I am not saying never to use functions, just be careful not to suck up too much CPU time in one event.

It would also be nice if we could pass parameters to events from within scripts as well, but I am not going to touch the script interpreter code to add that.
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

Per wrote:I am not saying never to use functions, just be careful not to suck up too much CPU time in one event.

It would also be nice if we could pass parameters to events from within scripts as well, but I am not going to touch the script interpreter code to add that.
how can you tell how much CPU time it uses?
what happens if you go over that time limit?
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

crux wrote:
Per wrote:I am not saying never to use functions, just be careful not to suck up too much CPU time in one event.

how can you tell how much CPU time it uses?
it just needs more time to jump here and there to search what to do next
what happens if the cpu only has to search what to do, but can't find anything else than "jump to"?
nothing, or in other words: it freezes!
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

I got the point. I replace all functions which returns nothing with an event and try to follow your advice.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

crux wrote:how can you tell how much CPU time it uses?
You can't easily tell exactly, but you will notice that on slower systems or when you get lots of objects that the AI controls, that framerates drop or become uneven, and things like scrolling become jerky rather than smooth.
Thyranim wrote: it just needs more time to jump here and there to search what to do next
what happens if the cpu only has to search what to do, but can't find anything else than "jump to"?
nothing, or in other words: it freezes!
I am not sure what you are talking about here. It will not freeze.
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

Per wrote: You can't easily tell exactly, but you will notice that on slower systems or when you get lots of objects that the AI controls, that framerates drop or become uneven, and things like scrolling become jerky rather than smooth.
is there a rough estimate how big or complex the scripts can get?
is there any limitation on their size?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

crux wrote:is there a rough estimate how big or complex the scripts can get?
is there any limitation on their size?
I don't think so. I know that some scripts (eg Aivolution) are very large (16k+ lines of code each), and yet worked fine.