Big news times 2

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Big news times 2

Post by DevUrandom »

Warzone 2.0.6 finally made it into the public!

We sorted out several bugs since the release of 2.0.5. In addition to that there were not many big changes, but those are:
  • Warzone should save a diagnostic file when crashing.
  • Cutscenes, while still being text only, were improved. They progress faster and should be more readable.
  • You can now see the sky!
A view on the ChangeLog will provide you with more details.

As usual, the files are available on our downloads page.

This time we have something new there, though: For Windows users we provide an updater in addition to the usual installer. This enables people having 2.0.5 installed to download only 5MB to update their existing installation.

More great news come along: WZFlag joint venture (April fool hoax)

The 2.0.6 release of Warzone 2100 was the last of the "classic" RTS/RTT game. The Warzone Resurrection Project has been suffering from a lack of developers from the very beginning, though we are proud of various improvements to the game. To maintain the quality of our releases we will be joining forces with the BZFlag development team. The combined project will be called WZFlag.

The new game will use the proven and extensible Warzone graphics engine, but rely on the stable networking code of BZFlag. This will provide you with the beauty of Warzone while maintaining the fun of BZFlag's high paced online competitions.

You will be using your keyboard to control your tank to fight in close quarter battles, while at the same time building your base and support-units with your mouse. This is of course all in 3rd person perspective so you feel the dust of the fight and get the closest experience.

I can tell you from playing the experimental development version (which we keep on a private SVN server till it is stable enough for the public) that it is really fun and enjoyable.

The new website (http://wzflag.net/) will be online shortly and provide you with more information. For now take a look at these preliminary screenshots.

DevUrandom,
For the WZFlag development team
Last edited by DevUrandom on 02 Apr 2007, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Big news times 2

Post by Kreuvf »

omg, I always suspected you to do this... destroy the whole project!

Well done >.<

German users may want to read "WZFlag? WTFlag!".
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Kreuvf wrote: omg, I always suspected you to do this... destroy the whole project!

Well done >.<

:(
Last edited by gerard_ on 01 Apr 2007, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
rip-e
New user

Post by rip-e »

Thank you for this new version !
2.0.6 works under windows 98 !!! thanks you very much !
Your new project is interessting i will follow it ! :D
gl !
Galaad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Galaad »

WTFlag ? Sure ? :D
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

Galaad wrote: WTFlag ? Sure ? :D
WTFlag ;)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Galaad wrote: WTFlag ? Sure ? :D
Almost right there. No it will really be named WZFlag. Look here for some screenshots
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
maacruz
Greenhorn

Post by maacruz »

Congratulations  :)
kipman725
Trained
Trained

Post by kipman725 »

lol *checks date* phew

although if you rember the playstation version of warzone it has 3rd person tank steering :P

less bugs = good = keep good work up  ;D
Duel Heavy Cannon Python Tracks... gonna roll right over you
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Kreuvf wrote: omg, I always suspected you to do this... destroy the whole project!

Well done >.<

clever title: though google's translation isn't great, i get the distinct feeling that you think warzone is going to go away. i don't know exactly how this merger is going to happen, and i only heard about it upon reading this thread, but it appears to me that the source code from wzflag mostly comes from warzone, given that i saw a few references to base building, and the gfx engine is obviously from warzone. in fact, afaict (i haven't tried wzflag), the only major differences between wz2100 and wzflag are:
  • the ability to directly control vehicles (which we'd already discussed adding with very little negative feedback)
  • tanks that jump
  • possibly simplified gameplay on the strategy side
given that, wzflag pretty much is wz2100 with a few extras and possibly some limits on research/structs (that's something that you can mod -- not something that you need to change the source for).

possibility #1: if this is largely the case, and the devs are nice and add server creation options to toggle off vehicle control and jumping tanks, then with those options off, wzflag would be wz2100.

possibility #2: if the gameplay changes are different enough that they must be incompatible with wz2100, then if the devs are nice, they'll modularize the code tree so that you can build either wz2100 or wzflag, with any developments that aren't game-specific (like gfx or netcode improvements) will automatically apply to both.

although i was also shocked and had similar thoughts when i first read about wzflag, looking at it objectively, if either of the above possibilities are true, there's no way this merger could have a negative effect on any part of warzone as we know it. in the worst case, if they really are abandoning the wz2100 aspect, then it's gpl, and the code is still accessible to everyone, which means all they did was fork (or essentially say they quit, as opposed to doing anything actually destructive to the project). in that case, it's still beneficial to the developers because the wzflag codebase is probably just a modification of the wz2100 codebase, in which case a second set of programmers can quickly move all changes into a seperate "wzflag" branch, at which point, we move back to possibility #2. if the devs are downright mean (or lazy) and instead continue to work on a merged codebase in a way that doesn't allow you to build warzone with general code improvements from the wzflag effort, then given the obvious similarity between codebases, it'd be trivial for the people who want to see wz2100 thriving to backport any architectural improvements from wzflag into wz2100, and probably even set up a script to merge the codebases for all general svn commits (only a major code restructuring would break the automated script).

in all cases, though, i can't see any way in which improvements to wzflag aren't beneficial to wz2100, especially if the devs are interested in maintaining the ability to play wz2100 as we know it (either through config options or a seperate build). i don't know about bzflag, since i haven't played it much, but i'm sure there are many who would like to be able to play bzflag with improved graphics and varied terrain, but without the base building that's said to be in wzflag -- if wzflag has a server creation option that allows you to turn off all base building, than wzflag would pretty much be bzflag. imo, it sounds pretty easy to appease the people who want to play wz2100, the ones who want to bzflag, and the ones who like the new wzflag, all possibly done from the in-game server creation window.

just remember, there was community resistance when we found out the source was being released under the gpl... can anyone here honestly say they think the source code would've done nearly as well, or even anything at all if it were licensed under something more proprietary? one way or another, the wzflag merger will be good for wz2100 just like the gpl was.
bremac
Greenhorn

Post by bremac »

DevUrandom wrote:rely on the stable networking code of BZFlag.
You were quite convincing up until there. Stable it may be, but also a networking model from the early 90's.
Got me for a second due to the local time difference though. :(
Last edited by DevUrandom on 01 Apr 2007, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

For those who did not yet have the chance to see these threads:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10498
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10502

No one will ever know how much of them were true believers...
But reading it was certainly fun. I wonder if kage believed in his own story. ;)
You can calm down again, Kreuvf, thanks for the rant. :)
LevelOneHundred
Greenhorn

Post by LevelOneHundred »

Wat da fak Lag...lol (WTFlag)

Thanks for the new 2.0.6 version!  8)

I hate that bug while loading some save files in 2.0.5 the game crahes. (C++ library error)

What's new in 2.0.6?
fix bug only? no new weapons, tanks etc?

OMG last release....bye developers thanks for everything...
I SHARE WHAT I KNOW AND TRY TO LEARN WHAT I DONT
Friendster Profile
Warzone 2100 Video
3. redo step 1 and 2
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

holy crap. good one. the first thing you should know about me is i never know what the date is -- thought it was still march 20-something. and damn, i thought we were getting a lot more devs.  :o

i don't know about anyone else, but my argument convinced me: wtf, let's merge the projects anyways.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote: ... wtf, let's merge the projects anyways.
well actually this "red cobra" guy here is quite right:
I hate to say it gyes, but come on, do you really believe they are merging the two? Do you know how much code they have too write to do that? That would probably take a year. And what are the chances of them announcing it on April 1st? Games just don't merge like that.
It indeed would be a huge task to actually merge those to codebases.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh