ground penetrating projectiles

Warzone 2.2.x series. (Unsupported--read only !)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: ground penetrating projectiles

Post by Zarel »

psychopompos wrote:you mean observing the terraign & taking advantage of it isnt stratagy?
sorry to tell you (well, not really :P ), but dealing with uneven terrain is a central part of strategy ;)
Dealing with visible uneven terrain is a central part of strategy. Terrain subtly uneven that it's impossible to see is not strategy, it's just annoyance.
psychopompos wrote:hold "Z" then hold in "CTRL" at the same time, then release "Z" then release "CTRL"
go replicate it to see what i mean & make tapping Z toggle it, rather then having to hold "Z" for the effect. ;)
that will make obstructing terrain quite easy to see.
its the first key combo i hit when i start a level.
Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot about that. I was going to make that mode the default, but then Per said it took too many resources. He was going to make it toggle, though; I wonder what happened to that.
psychopompos wrote:i remember reading that now.
but does that specifically mean it targets only the bit it can see?
when i was playing, one of my tanks was shooting a tower, it had LOS on the top of the tower (i moved the camera to check), but was aiming dead center, thus firing through the cliff face the tower was above a fer tiles back.
Did it actually fire through the cliff face? Or was it unable to hit? Yeah, I kind of hate the line-of-sight issues caused by raycasting being in a different line than the projectile itself.
psychopompos wrote: :...:
then which version was it where it was working?
i do remember feeling rather impressed when i saw the projectiles actually hitting the ground they where hitting.
Erm, all of them? As far as I know, most of the time, the projectiles do indeed get absorbed by the ground.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

Zarel wrote:Dealing with visible uneven terrain is a central part of strategy. Terrain subtly uneven that it's impossible to see is not strategy, it's just annoyance.
i call that needing to be aware of the environment;P
Zarel wrote:Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot about that. I was going to make that mode the default, but then Per said it took too many resources. He was going to make it toggle, though; I wonder what happened to that.
:rolleyes:
with i knew, would be nice to see.
Zarel wrote:Did it actually fire through the cliff face? Or was it unable to hit? Yeah, I kind of hate the line-of-sight issues caused by raycasting being in a different line than the projectile itself.
consistently
both mg and hvc, tower died before lancer got there though.
Zarel wrote:Erm, all of them? As far as I know, most of the time, the projectiles do indeed get absorbed by the ground.
:-S
they do hit the ground around the target afaik, but not any hills only half way too...
sautedman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sautedman »

Zarel wrote:Well, that's not too annoying. The more annoying part is when tanks shoot at things they can't hit. As I've mentioned before, for balance reasons, I prefer for the projectile to go through the ground than for it to continue to shoot at a target it has zero chances of hitting. If the graphics look too ugly, we might move the projectile slightly above-ground for the rendering phase.
I think there may be a real problem for when weapons are not using their own sensors. Imagine a situation where there is a big ridge running N/S. Your artillery is on the N side, and the target is on the S side. With the current porous ground, units that are tucked right next to the ridge will be targetable by a sensor that flanks them. That is why I think the ground itself needs to be made impervious to shots.

As for units shooting at things they can't hit, it is interesting that buildings can cause the problem you mentioned. I saved a truck from a cannon tank once by wheeling it around to the other side of a factory. The tank continued to target the truck, but the building took all the hits.

Some of these bugs drive me crazy (don't get me started on artillery not corresponding to a commander's retreat levels, commanders' retreat levels resetting to 'do or die', or artillery disassociating from a commander/sensor when it runs into a pathfinding obstacle). I'd like to help, since I don't see them getting addressed, but I don't know where to go to help.