New feature: Gates

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Re: New feature: Gates

Post by winsrp »

So Per, do you have plans in putting it in any of the future beta version for 2.3, or should we handle it in the meantime as a mod since seems far away still? This is way too useful feature this game should have.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It is nowhere ready yet. Unlikely to get ready in time for 2.3, unless 2.3 is delayed or someone helps out with it.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

hmmm... I see... well, for now we will keep working on the mod, while you try to do it the real way, since I cannot really help, if someone else can, the please go for it.

We will stick with the 2 objects one horizontal and one vertical, since there is no external way to designate a rotating object that works as the wall, might be a great add on for the buildings file... as in a 0/1 flag, flips according side tile or something like that. Easy to say, I know.

Lets hope this is in the list for future versions, like the ECM this is a change that actually changes the way you play, now with the mod as it is, I actually think where are my entrances going to be other than just, lets blow this wall up and have them go out over here. It changes you!!! O_O
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Per wrote:It is nowhere ready yet. Unlikely to get ready in time for 2.3, unless 2.3 is delayed or someone helps out with it.
I can provide the usual help with art. I just need to be told what I should do, and then I'll be glad to be of use.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Olrox wrote:I can provide the usual help with art. I just need to be told what I should do, and then I'll be glad to be of use.
Awesome. All that is needed is a "wall"-like gate piece that looks good when plunged into the ground, leaving either only a baseplate, or only the top of the model, or both, visible when open. It should also connect neatly to existing walls.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

so you need a base plate model with a door on it, and a baseplate only model, or how was that?

And would it have the same behavior of the current mod? auto closes on enemy close by?

just curious
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Base plate if this looks better than without.

The gate patch makes gates open only when friendly droids want to pass. Otherwise they are closed.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

friendly droids including allies right? just in case you forgot :P
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, lemme see if I can find the wall .pie to reference myself. Or someone quicker than me could give a hint on the height (is it 1?) :rolleyes:

Edit: I've found 12.9 length and 7.8 height, is that true? O_o
Is it more lengthy due to sloped pieces, for the texture not to be too stretched?

Anyway, I'll start working with this right now
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Here is the first, untexturized version. Any objections/opinions about the geometry?

EDIT:
Zarel wrote:Erm, you forgot to attach it. ;)
ah, I was just testing if you were watching! :rolleyes:
Attachments
Unitary gates.
Unitary gates.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, you forgot to attach it. ;)
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

geometry looks appropriate, and actually looks good without textures... lol.

When we get teamcolors I would put the 2 openings in the front of the gate in team color.

But it does looks really good.

Note: we don't have walls with three corners, only cross and straight, but looks good too. ;)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

winsrp wrote: Note: we don't have walls with three corners, only cross and straight, but looks good too. ;)
It is only a question of time! Zarel is working on appropriate codes for corners and T-walls ;)

Thanks for the compliments! I also think that adding team colors on the vertical gaps would look good: Vertical lines would break the continuity of the wall and indicate something that goes up/down, maybe.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

right on.... seems like visual improvements are on their way for this oldie game.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Olrox wrote:Here is the first, untexturized version. Any objections/opinions about the geometry?
Looks great.

I should note Mysteryem's walls are slightly different from yours. I rather Mysteryem's walls, which implement the idea of having teamcolor down the sides a bit; they make the teamcolor easier to see from different angle.

Regardless of where you eventually plan the teamcolor to go, I'd suggest it be striped.
Olrox wrote:It is only a question of time! Zarel is working on appropriate codes for corners and T-walls ;)
"Working on" isn't entirely accurate - maybe more like "intending to eventually implement". If I were actually working on it, I'd probably be done by the time you read this. ;)