2.3 Beta 4 is out!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

2.3 Beta 4 is out!

Post by Buginator »

The developer staff brings you the release of Warzone 2100 2.3 Beta 4.

This release has squashed some more bugs from beta 3, and a few new things were added as well.

Most importantly, we note that ".message" is now an easy way to send "message" to all your allies. No need to mess with broadcast settings anymore.

NOTE, old skirmish savegames will NOT work with this release. Single Player savegames should still work!

Also we would like to welcome artist Mysteryem to the staff. :)

The main point of these beta releases is to get as much feedback as we can for the newer netcode, and we need to see how much better this code is compared to the older code.

Call for help with testing!
We need everyone to test multiplayer games, we just don't have enough devs to play full 8 player games!
We need to know about sync issues, and everything else multiplayer related, as well as any other issues in campaign games.
Help us make the 2.3.0 release better!

***NOTE: 2.3 games can't play with 2.2.x games!
Everyone must use the same version to play. So update today! :3

For a complete list see the Changelog.

As always: Please report all bugs, without them, we can't fix them!
Since there is some confusion on how to handle bug reports, I have decided to post the bug reporting guidelines here:

Bug Reporting
Bugs are different kinds of errors and glitches that sometimes can even lead to crashes. Due to the limited resources of the Warzone 2100 Project not everything can be tested prior to release. In order to be able to fix those bugs we need you to report those bugs. For the bug reports to be the most helpful we put up this page as a guide to writing good bug reports.

How to report bugs
  • Use the search to find out, if your bug has not been reported yet.
  • If you did find it there and you have more information than was provided by the original reporter, add your information.
  • If you did not find it, submit a new bug report
  • Write something meaningful into the summary. Not just "I found a bug", but instead write "Crash when building units" (for example).
  • Give a very detailed description of the bug and how to reproduce it. This is the most important information!
  • If you are using the trunk version from Subversion, be sure to add the used revision, too.
  • If you are using a version from a package repository, be sure to add information on the package.
  • State which operating system and version of it you are running. This includes the service pack under Windows and the distribution on Linux.
  • Information about the game options you chose and the drivers (video/audio) you use and your hardware is very useful to us.
  • Additionally you could provide backtraces, logfiles, screenshots and other additional information you can get as an attachment. (Backtraces in pastebins ("nopaste") or on upload sites are NOT useful.)
  • Savegames that can reproduce the issue are very much welcomed! Package the savegamename.gam, savegamename.es (if exists), and everything in the savegamename folder as well in a zip file.
  • If you can, please attach the crash mini dump file to your bug report. If you are using an executable you compiled yourself, please attach the executable as well, so that the developers can use it to extract information from the dump file.
  • On Windows, you can find stderr.txt & warzone2100.RPT (crash dump file) in the same directory as warzone2100.exe is in.
  • On Linux, you can find the crash dump in /tmp.
Now that you know all this, use http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket to create a bug report!
Thanks!

As always, download from http://wz2100.net/download

2009-12-13: Version 2.3.0 beta 4
* General:
* New: For windows people only, show a popup window for errors. (r8652)
* New: Add config variable 'UPnP' to enable/disable UPnP detection / routines. 1=on, 0=off, default is ON. (r8651)
* Change: Don't add UPnP redirects in singe player skirmish (r8649)
* Fix: Loading savegames would sometimes make you the wrong player - this breaks all skirmish savegames - campaign savegames are fine (r8626)
* Fix: Fixed endianness issues - PowerPC Macs can now play with others (r8593)
* Fix: Hardware-accelerated cursors work correctly in Mac OS X (r8611)
* Fix: Some crashes (r8596, r8636, r8677)
* Multiplayer:
* New: ".message" sends message to allies (r8640)
* Change: "5message" appears as "(private to Blue) message" instead of "(private) 5message" (r8640)
* Fix: "5message" now sends message to player in position 5 instead of ID 5 (r8640)
* Fix: Game setup screen updates now happen instantly, instead of every 2 seconds (r8603)
* Fix: AI difficulty slider can now be dragged continuously (r8601)
* Fix: Map download progress doesn't clear chat screen anymore (r8603)
* Fix: Map transfers should no longer crash. r8667
* Gameplay:
* New: Multiplayer alliances menu now appears in Intelligence screen (r8638)
* Change: Show proximity blips again for oil resources, but they do not blink on map (r8587)
* Fix: Multiplayer alliances menu sorted by position again (r8638)
* Fix: Bug that caused transporter not to disembark when auto-repairing and allow order to be queued (r8624)
* Fix: Don't allow players to control the transport in single-player campaign. (r8666, r8670)
* Scripting:
* New: Function droidCanReach() allows checking if droid destinations are possible (r8644)
* AI:
* Change: AI will set all its droids to 'do or die' and no longer build repair centers (r8681)
* Fix: Make AIs go for closest oil first (ticket:1166, r8632)
* Graphics:
* Change: New wall models for the player in campaign and in multiplay (r8665)
* Translations:
* Updated: French (r8614), Italian (r8661), German (r8662)
and it ends here.
Althalus
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 2.3 Beta 4 is out!

Post by Althalus »

The link to the source code on the download page gives the windows executable.
The source code for beta4 is available on warzone's sourceforge page, though.
I'll try it when I get some time.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Fixed, thanks for the hint.
ralfralfevil
Greenhorn

Post by ralfralfevil »

:( i cant finish 1 campaign because the crash is still there
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

does any of the changes mean changes to the multiplay/skirmish/player0 etc... files?
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

from the svn log:

r8681
2.3: Based on suggestion from player acidjnk, set all AI droids to 'do or die',
and stop AI from building repair centers. This should make AI harder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

r8669
2.3: Make AI build lancer towers instead of non-existent lancer bunkers.
yamar
Trained
Trained

Post by yamar »

yay! I am downloading it now, and will report back once I test it.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

stiv wrote: 2.3: Based on suggestion from player acidjnk, set all AI droids to 'do or die',
and stop AI from building repair centers. This should make AI harder.
I am not sure this will make AI stronger. On small-medium maps the AI should repair droids. AI should also always recall for repairing the droids in the defend teams as they are near the base.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

DylanDog wrote:I am not sure this will make AI stronger. On small-medium maps the AI should repair droids. AI should also always recall for repairing the droids in the defend teams as they are near the base.
It will make it even weaker. And we all know how weak current one is.
Units should only be set to do or die when being sent to attack enemy base, in other cases they should be set to repair at heavy damage.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

13KukYNexus666 wrote:It will make it even weaker. And we all know how weak current one is.
Units should only be set to do or die when being sent to attack enemy base, in other cases they should be set to repair at heavy damage.
Erm, what does the AI use units for, if not attacking enemy bases?

How's about you actually try it before criticizing it? We have tested this change, and we know it makes the AI stronger.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well, I have tested the AI in a single map, and the only thing the AI does, is build a power station, and send the trucks to the farthest away oil thing possible, and by the time i have medium body tanks the Ai does not even has a command center. just trucks stuck in a oil well they cant reach...

this is the map i have tried.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4202
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

winsrp wrote:well, I have tested the AI in a single map, and the only thing the AI does, is build a power station, and send the trucks to the farthest away oil thing possible, and by the time i have medium body tanks the Ai does not even has a command center. just trucks stuck in a oil well they cant reach...

this is the map i have tried.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4202
hrm. That's weird. Are you sure you're using 2.3 beta 4 with either the default AI or Per's new AI?
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

2.3 beta 4 default AI.... played skirmish 4 vs 4 in locked teams. I start in position 3.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

I saw you made the frustration thing or what ever you call it, but I think it wont work in this case since the AI only has trucks... no a single attack unit. So how would it get unstuck by shooting if it can't shoot.

The default AI should definitely start by doing the power module, the closest oil, the factory and the HQ before going scouting for more money. Maybe even a research facility too. Just a thought.
Straider
Greenhorn

Post by Straider »

My friend complained to me that "--cheat" doesnt work.
Is this true?