2.2.4 is released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

2.2.4 is released!

Post by Buginator »

The developer staff brings you the release of Warzone 2100 2.2.4.

This release is network incompatible with previous versions. (You cannot play multiplayer games with previous versions of Warzone.)

We squashed some more bugs, some balance changes, and other numerous things.

For a complete list see the Changelog.

As always: Please report all bugs, without them, we can't fix them!
Since there is some confusion on how to handle bug reports, I have decided to post the bug reporting guidelines here:

Bug Reporting
Bugs are different kinds of errors and glitches that sometimes can even lead to crashes. Due to the limited resources of the Warzone 2100 Project not everything can be tested prior to release. In order to be able to fix those bugs we need you to report those bugs. For the bug reports to be the most helpful we put up this page as a guide to writing good bug reports.

How to report bugs
  • Use the search to find out, if your bug has not been reported yet.
  • If you did find it there and you have more information than was provided by the original reporter, add your information.
  • If you did not find it, submit a new bug report
  • Write something meaningful into the summary. Not just "I found a bug", but instead write "Crash when building units" (for example).
  • Give a very detailed description of the bug and how to reproduce it. This is the most important information!
  • If you are using the trunk version from Subversion, be sure to add the used revision, too.
  • If you are using a version from a package repository, be sure to add information on the package.
  • State which operating system and version of it you are running. This includes the service pack under Windows and the distribution on Linux.
  • Information about the game options you chose and the drivers (video/audio) you use and your hardware is very useful to us.
  • Additionally you could provide backtraces, logfiles, screenshots and other additional information you can get as an attachment. (Backtraces in pastebins ("nopaste") or on upload sites are NOT useful.)
  • Savegames that can reproduce the issue are very much welcomed! Package the savegamename.gam, savegamename.es (if exists), and everything in the savegamename folder as well in a zip file.
  • If you can, please attach the crash mini dump file to your bug report. If you are using an executable you compiled yourself, please attach the executable as well, so that the developers can use it to extract information from the dump file.
  • On Windows, you can find stderr.txt & warzone2100.RPT (crash dump file) in the same directory as warzone2100.exe is in.
  • On Linux, you can find the crash dump in /tmp.
Now that you know all this, use http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket to create a bug report!
Thanks!

As always, download from http://wz2100.net/download

Change Log

2009-10-11: Version 2.2.4
* General:
* Fix: Indirect fire weapons can no longer use sensors to fire at targets the sensor cannot see. (r8177)
* Fix: Improved error handling in some cases - try to avoid crashing (ticket:962)
* Fix: Bug in map renderer that would cause non-power of two maps to display wrongly. (r8208)
* Fix: Added support for ATI-specific two-sided stencil extension. Will decrease CPU usage on ATI cards. (r8185)
* Fix: Correctly handle savegame names (ticket:981, r8227, r8246)
* Campaign:
* Fix: Improve anti-air and make it more like the original by making AA shots homing like in skirmish (r8258)
* Multiplayer:
* Change: Data integrity check is added. This will break network connectivity with 2.2.3. (r8205, ticket:961)
* Balancing - skirmish (r8262):
* Most projectiles 1.5x faster to reduce sync problems
* Mini-Rocket Artillery renamed Mini-Rocket Array
* MRL Emplacement renamed Mini-Rocket Battery
* Angel Missile renamed Seraph Missile Array
* Angel Missile Battery renamed Short-Range Missile Battery
* Hurricane splash increased 10 -> 30
* Cyclone splash increased 40 -> 60
* Whirlwind splash increased 30 -> 50
* Avenger and Vindicator damage increased 320 -> 350, accuracy increased 60%-70% -> 70%-80%
* Stormbringer damage increased 140 -> 180
* All lasers now have 80%-80% accuracy
* Plasmite Bomb weight increased 8000 -> 12000
* Mini-pod can hit air targets
* Decrease Pulse Laser and Heavy Laser ROF, increase corresponding damage
* Decrease VTOL MG damage, increase VTOL MG shots-per-rearm
* Artillery to hover multiplier decreased from 110% to 100%
* Artillery to tracks multiplier decreased from 65% to 50%
* Artillery to half-tracks multiplier decreased from 80% to 70%
* Artillery to wheels multiplier decreased from 95% to 90%
* Anti-tank to hover multiplier decreased from 100% to 90%
* AP to hard multiplier increased from 45% to 50%
* Seraph Missile Array range increased from 5-11 to 5-14
* Command Center must be built before MG tower can be researched
* Truck HP decreased 50 -> 25
* Truck weight increased 600 -> 800
* Inferno bunker research price 150 -> 125
* Plasmite bunker research price 150 -> 125
* Plasma Cannon radius increased from 1 to 3.5 and range from 5.5 to 6
and it ends here.
Delphinio
Art contributor

Re: 2.2.4 is released!

Post by Delphinio »

good that you made 2.2.4 and not 2.3...
there are still many bugs in 2.2.
i know, its hard to fix all (and maybe not realy possible) but the main bugs need to be fixed.
and then 2.3 can come... thats what i think.

EDIT: original 1.10 balance mod is added to this release. hope a few old schooler will play it : ).
if not, then our (mainly my) work was for nothing.
Jimmbob
Trained
Trained

Post by Jimmbob »

Thanks Guys! Keep up the good work!
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Why it doesn't include the teamcolor's patch by I-Nod?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2156&start=30#p35309
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MaNGusT wrote:Why it doesn't include the teamcolor's patch by I-Nod?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2156&start=30#p35309
Last I heard there was some disagreement as to how it should work. Take a look at #851 and add your opinion.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

and of course you guys will also update the research tree and info on the user guide right? to avoid confusions.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:Last I heard there was some disagreement as to how it should work. Take a look at #851 and add your opinion.
I like how it works... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2156&start=45#p35791 :-S
It's really what I require to make the AR mod (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3677&start=135#p38718) better...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:Last I heard there was some disagreement as to how it should work. Take a look at #851 and add your opinion.
No, there isn't. :/ I relented ages ago.

By the way, I've uploaded Mac binaries. Now that I'm the new Mac release maintainer, except significantly faster Mac releases. ^_^
heatwave
Trained
Trained

Post by heatwave »

Buginator wrote:The developer staff brings you the release of Warzone 2100 2.2.4.
:stare:
*checks*
oh, oh my! it actually is! Huzzah! :suprised:
Zarel wrote:expect significantly faster Mac releases.
WZWanderer
Greenhorn

Post by WZWanderer »

Delphinio wrote:EDIT: original 1.10 balance mod is added to this release. hope a few old schooler will play it : ).
if not, then our (mainly my) work was for nothing.
Well, I appreciate all the hard work that has been done to bring this sweet game back to life, but I will make a special point of being grateful for stuff like this! (So thanks!!) Because with all the "shiny, new" going on, I know the "old, classic" can easily be swept aside, under the reasoning that "nobody cares about it any more because the new is better ... and new!" etc.

The new is fun, no doubt about that! :D Is it "better"...?? I'm not positive, because frankly it's been so long since I've played the original, that I am having a hard time keeping track of what all has changed. In 2.2.3, though, I was like "what is up with these angel missles?! I knew something was modded there (range, at least, right?) -- I mean, the first time I built emplacements, I was like "are these things broke?" Now, reading changelog, it looks like someone realized they overdid it a little with the range reduction ;). (And forgive me if I'm totally wrong here, but I have only read the last couple changelogs, not the whole project history. But I'm fairly sure these angels were toned way down.)

Anyway, it's actually kind of a relief to see that I am not the only one concerned with keeping the classic alive.

And as for "the new", I suspect that the reason for these balance changes is for human vs. human play, because some techs do tend to be a little unstoppable if you are the first to get them. It seems like it's heading in the direction of a "pro mode" mod, kinda like CPM Q3... where things are actually balanced, for players that are extremely experienced with the game. But, for me, it's still fun to beat up on the AI with techs that might feel "unbalanced" in a humans-only game.

I hope "classic" mode stays alive in some form for as long as this project does. Now, one concern I see already is "how is one supposed to run 'classic balance' as a tech mod, as well as running an AI mod like BP?", but I would think this can be addressed in the future. (For that matter, I'm curious if the 'classic mod' has the classic AI as well. I would just like to play it again for some perspective on how far that has come!)

Sincere thanks to everyone for all the hard work! :thumbsup:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

WZWanderer wrote:The new is fun, no doubt about that! :D Is it "better"...?? I'm not positive, because frankly it's been so long since I've played the original, that I am having a hard time keeping track of what all has changed.
Yes, new is better. <_<

Jokes aside, the main improvement the new version has over the original is that it makes a lot of the weaker weapons more powerful, encouraging depth of strategy. In addition, it makes lancer slightly weaker, so it's not the overpowered weapon it was in the original.

As many people will tell you, the development of Warzone is gradual. If you don't like the newer versions, why stop at 1.10? Why not go back to 1.00? It'll really be the retail, out-of-the-box game, then. (It also won't have anything above T1).
WZWanderer wrote:In 2.2.3, though, I was like "what is up with these angel missles?! I knew something was modded there (range, at least, right?) -- I mean, the first time I built emplacements, I was like "are these things broke?"
It wasn't so much "modded" so much as "replaced with a completely different weapon", with significantly lower range, higher damage, fewer research prerequisites, etc. The rename to "Seraph Missile Array" is intended to make that more obvious.
WZWanderer wrote:Now, reading changelog, it looks like someone realized they overdid it a little with the range reduction ;).
;)
WZWanderer wrote:And as for "the new", I suspect that the reason for these balance changes is for human vs. human play, because some techs do tend to be a little unstoppable if you are the first to get them. It seems like it's heading in the direction of a "pro mode" mod, kinda like CPM Q3... where things are actually balanced, for players that are extremely experienced with the game. But, for me, it's still fun to beat up on the AI with techs that might feel "unbalanced" in a humans-only game.
Yes, it is kind of going in that direction, but my hope is that the game will still be fun against the AI, as well. Has anyone complained about the AI's waves of aircraft being too hard to defeat? This will make it easier. ;) Especially since many T3 weapons, including Stormbringer, the rail guns, Avenger, etc, are easier to get to now.
WZWanderer wrote:I hope "classic" mode stays alive in some form for as long as this project does. Now, one concern I see already is "how is one supposed to run 'classic balance' as a tech mod, as well as running an AI mod like BP?", but I would think this can be addressed in the future. (For that matter, I'm curious if the 'classic mod' has the classic AI as well. I would just like to play it again for some perspective on how far that has come!)
As far as I know, you can run BP in conjunction with Original 1.10 Mod. I haven't tested it myself, though, so if you try it, be sure to report how well that works.
ALiEN987
Greenhorn

Post by ALiEN987 »

HATE IT!
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

"EDIT: original 1.10 balance mod is added to this release. hope a few old schooler will play it : ).
if not, then our (mainly my) work was for nothing."

I haven´t seen a option to switch to the 1.10 balance mod in the Mac version. Can you explain how I can get it? :)
Andreas XXL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Andreas XXL »

Great: Good work, I like it!
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

MaNGusT wrote:Why it doesn't include the teamcolor's patch by I-Nod?
Per wrote:Last I heard there was some disagreement as to how it should work.
IIRC it was never planned for 2.2 branch...