Flashy Cursors

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Flashy Cursors

Post by Cmdr »

I don't know how many people who played the original WZ on with the right hardware.  But if anyone played the 3DFX version, the cursors were flashy blue and not plain white.

I know there is a lot of serious work to be done, but would it be possible or would it be considered to add the flashy cursors in the near/distant future?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Flashy Cursors

Post by DevUrandom »

If I saw this correctly, then the current cursor is drawn by SDL and is simply 1bit-colored...
I may be wrong, though.
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cmdr »

I could be wrong - my mind may be playing tricks, but I am sure that the target cross hair and build pointer etc were all coloured similarly to the sensor target crosshair.

It has been a while since I had native 3dfx, I could be entirelt wrong.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

for me: all the pointers were always white (that's how they appear in the resource files, too, so it'd have had to be code-specific to the 3dfx renderer for this to have been different). i wouldn't know about 3dfx mode, since i've only ever used opengl, software, and directx with wz. it's possible that all you have to do to make colored cursors is to change the interface resource files ("frontend-something.png", iirc).
Kragen Ironfist
Greenhorn

Post by Kragen Ironfist »

hi just to clear things up I am Cmdr's real life brother whilst he had whatever video card he had in his computer when I used to trounce him at WZ :) I had a Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra coupled with a Voodoo 2  3dFx video card. the cursors were definately not white when using the 3dFX engine - I thought I remembered the cursor's as being green rather than the blue that Cmdr describe but I could be wrong on the colour. I can however state categorically that if WZ was played in conjuction with a Voodoo chipset card then the cursors were not white
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Kragen Ironfist wrote: hi just to clear things up I am Cmdr's real life brother whilst he had whatever video card he had in his computer when I used to trounce him at WZ :) I had a Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra coupled with a Voodoo 2  3dFx video card. the cursors were definately not white when using the 3dFX engine - I thought I remembered the cursor's as being green rather than the blue that Cmdr describe but I could be wrong on the colour. I can however state categorically that if WZ was played in conjuction with a Voodoo chipset card then the cursors were not white
* I can vouch for this as well because I 1st ran WZ on the 3dfx chip-set... and did so for years.

* In fact I still have the HW set-up in my Colorado crib so I can verify when I fly-in for a short stay after I drive up to UT from AZ next week.

- rv :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I was talking about the possibilities in the current code... (Where I don't think we can easily setup colored-cursors.)
Maybe we can do it in some point in the future, but it is definitely not a high-priority task for me. ;) )
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cmdr »

thank you to those of you have proved I was not insane :D

To DevU - thats OK, I knew it would never be high priority.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

you sure they're stored internally with 1-bit color (and the obvious 1-bit alpha)? on disk they're found in the same files as the team-flags you see in the multiplayer lobby and a few other things that definitely have color, so at least the file format stores color.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

You are talking about the intfac files? (eg. http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... ntfac0.png)
I only had a look at http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... /cursors.h and I think that's what currently is used.
Maybe we can revive the old cursors (from intfac) at some time...
Stormkeeper
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stormkeeper »

Cmdr wrote: I don't know how many people who played the original WZ on with the right hardware.  But if anyone played the 3DFX version, the cursors were flashy blue and not plain white.

I know there is a lot of serious work to be done, but would it be possible or would it be considered to add the flashy cursors in the near/distant future?
I remember those. They were quite cool looking  at that time IMHO. If they get spruced, they'd probably look even cooler.
+[Unstoppable]+
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »