wip - old one actually... fortress2009

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

wip - old one actually... fortress2009

Post by lav_coyote25 »

old fortress was 128 by 128. this one is a wonderful 250 by 250. 8player. the original was done by ( i think troman) but if i am wrong i know whipper will correct me... having gone to 250 by 250 it does make for some interesting times... just try to keep your resources...you might survive. xD
fortress2009.zip
(118.17 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
fortress2009.png
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: wip - old one actually... fortress2009

Post by whippersnapper »

Yep.... Well before Troman made himself into a master A.I. scriptor he was a great WZ map maker and "Fortress" was his masterpiece, IMHO.

The original "Fortress" uses a custom tertile set that makes use of the technique first introduced by another WZ master mapmaker, HB, in his "Ariza" maps (HB also made great maps for "Total Annihilation" in addition to programming the WZ utility "T-M Linker" for the original EW and making the Ariza tertiles themselves). The precision involved in making these maps is absolutely breath-taking and so time-consuming that only 2 other quality maps were ever made using this technique. 4 Maps total in 10 years. I wish I had more time to make Troman's "Fortress" compatible with the current binary so new WZ map makers could see what a masterpiece it is and why NO random map generator in existence could ever create anything remotely resembling it.. But the thought of going thru making Mip-Maps of the custom tertile set like I had to do with Grim's tertiles, which are simple in comparison and still a PITA, is enough to make me think twice about doing it - at least at this point in time. Maybe I'll tackle it when I'm further along with "War School"...

Anyway - I look forward to checking out your 8-player version, Lav, over the next few days. :)

Regards, whip :ninja:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

And Ariza. Man, I remember Ariza was pretty much the best map, ever, in terms of how detailed and beautiful it was. Sadly, it didn't work well with the engine (it was way too big for the pathfinding engine to handle) and it was too large for 4 players to have much fun, and it had a bit too much oil... :/

It had so much potential, though.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Zarel wrote:And Ariza. Man, I remember Ariza was pretty much the best map, ever, in terms of how detailed and beautiful it was. Sadly, it didn't work well with the engine (it was way too big for the pathfinding engine to handle) and it was too large for 4 players to have much fun, and it had a bit too much oil... :/

Quick Aside Lav:

Well I can make those changes to Ariza and properly license it as well for release but here's what the situation entails.

I have the original custom tertiles that Troman used for "Fortress" and HB used for "Ariza" and I would need to first make them .png (the originals are .pcx) and then be able to make the Mip-Map sets for each.

The main hurdle though, besides finding the time, is that I only have the .wdgs and not the .lnds so I would have to try using Rodzilla's (?) .wdg > .lnd converter before I could do anything and I don't have it. Maybe there's another converter I am not aware of as well.

Anyway..... Back to Lav's artistic re-interpretation of "Fortress" from 4-player to 8-player among other changes-variants for 2009 fun gaming. :) I still have to do some more focused play-testing to provide useful feedback. That is after I do likewise with your other new map release wip "ForestFires" which I'm enjoying presently.

MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I found old maps on my hard drive. I don't know where i downloaded them. "N.E.W.S.T." was alive at that time. If you want you may convert them.

http://rapidshare.com/files/280093755/Maps.rar.html
praefectus
Trained
Trained

Post by praefectus »

Thanks!
I'm always hungry for new 8 player maps ! :D
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

MaNGusT wrote:I found old maps on my hard drive. I don't know where i downloaded them. "N.E.W.S.T." was alive at that time. If you want you may convert them.

http://rapidshare.com/files/280093755/Maps.rar.html
That's very generous of you to offer and set up.

However, I have all that stuff since before it was ever released in the first place and I pretty sure Lav has all those files as well.

But more to the point.

All the NEWST-Pumpkin2-RTS.net maps that could be readily migrated to the WRP binary where done so a while back and released as part of a Map Pack in the official distro.

The special-case maps that have NOT made the migration like the orginal "Fortress", "Ariza" maps, the "Citadel" Maps, "Boot Camp", "Red Dawn"..... have not done so because they involve custom tertiles, trick mapping techniques and/or have embedded A.I. scripting, stat text editing and custom GFX models / texture pages / weapon effects and even custom SFX.

These special case maps will likely NEVER make the migration. WHY ? Because there is just way too much work involved to get the job done only to have the results obsolesced with the new Terrain Renderer. At least I'm not willing to make the investment and I love these special case maps & was involved in the creation of most 'em in the first place. Maybe someone else is willing.

Lav of course is in his own creative way migrating Fortress through his re-envisioning or re-imagining as an 8 player map so the community can be enjoying that for years to come and that's a terrific accomplishment in it's own right. :D

But enough of this developer related discussion here in Lav's "Fortress 2009" map thread. We have carried forward that discussion in much greater detail in the following thread if your interested in learning a thing or 2 about WZ nuts 'n bolts now and into the future: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3757

whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote:.

Yep.... Well before Troman made himself into a master A.I. scriptor he was a great WZ map maker and "Fortress" was his masterpiece, IMHO.

The original "Fortress" uses a custom tertile set that makes use of the technique first introduced by another WZ master mapmaker, HB, in his "Ariza" maps (HB also made great maps for "Total Annihilation" in addition to programming the WZ utility "T-M Linker" for the original EW and making the Ariza tertiles themselves). The precision involved in making these maps is absolutely breath-taking and so time-consuming that only 2 other quality maps were ever made using this technique. 4 Maps total in 10 years. I wish I had more time to make Troman's "Fortress" compatible with the current binary so new WZ map makers could see what a masterpiece it is and why NO random map generator in existence could ever create anything remotely resembling it.. But the thought of going thru making Mip-Maps of the custom tertile set like I had to do with Grim's tertiles, which are simple in comparison and still a PITA, is enough to make me think twice about doing it - at least at this point in time. Maybe I'll tackle it when I'm further along with "War School"...

Anyway - I look forward to checking out your 8-player version, Lav, over the next few days. :)

Zarel wrote:And Ariza. Man, I remember Ariza was pretty much the best map, ever, in terms of how detailed and beautiful it was. Sadly, it didn't work well with the engine (it was way too big for the pathfinding engine to handle) and it was too large for 4 players to have much fun, and it had a bit too much oil... :/

whippersnapper wrote:
Well I can make those changes to Ariza and properly license it as well for release but here's what the situation entails.

I have the original custom tertiles that Troman used for "Fortress" and HB used for "Ariza" and I would need to first make them .png (the originals are .pcx) and then be able to make the Mip-Map sets for each.

The main hurdle though, besides finding the time, is that I only have the .wdgs and not the .lnds so I would have to try using Rodzilla's (?) .wdg > .lnd converter before I could do anything and I don't have it. Maybe there's another converter I am not aware of as well.

Anyway..... Back to Lav's artistic re-interpretation of "Fortress" from 4-player to 8-player among other changes-variants for 2009 fun gaming. :) I still have to do some more focused play-testing to provide useful feedback. That is after I do likewise with your other new map release wip "ForestFires" which I'm enjoying presently.

@ Zarel and Lav_Coyote:

Member Terminator has just done a fine job of converting and making compatible with the current game binary HB's Custom Tertiles and both his Aurora and Ariza Maps.. :D

You can download his conversions of HB's master works HERE:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1347&p=37834#p37834

This also means that NEW Maps can now be made with HB's Tertiles in 32EW and they will run no prob in the current series of game binaries-datasets thanks to Terminator's efforts. Also.... those suggested modifications to Ariza can also be done.