New Models for WZ2100! :)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

New Models for WZ2100! :)

Post by yahodahan »

**Editing Post to Make Better Sense**

I'm working on some higher poly, sexy looking, 3d models for WZ2100, these will be free to use by anyone at all who wants to, of course. I will be posting pics of the models and progress in this thread, hope to hear what yall think. Comments, suggestions, crituques- all good to hear :) Along those lines, if you have a special request, whether for a whole new model or just a different version of one of these, etc, please let me know!

On a side note, I am primarily building these models to be used in my own project, a re-creation of Warzone 2100 using the fantastic next-gen Unity engine, which I have already purchased a license for! I know it is a huge project, and a long shot at best but well worth the effort I believe. If anybody wants to help out, or just some more information on the Unity WZ2100 project, please contact me ASAP! (www.ofgabriel.com)

September 20th
New Model Finished: "Hardcrete Wall"
So here is the first- nothing too fancy, just an updated "hardcrete wall", but I wanted to start small and make sure I'm getting the art direction correct.

Front
Back

I will be recreating a version of this, symmetrical instead of "two sided", for use with the original WZ2100. Will be doing both sides, so two different walls, will put up an alert when those are ready!

September 20th 10pm update
New Model Progress: "Gun Tower"

Working this one out, a lot of great suggestions from people so far. Should be finished fairly soon, but I'm back to the grind at work tomorrow, so maybe not till next weekend. Here are some pics of the progress so far:

I'm really liking how the turret itself is coming along on this one, but if anyone has different thoughts, lemme know :) Also, I will def be widening the stance of the tower itself, per notes by many people.

Also, I understand it will need a LOT of polys cut for use in-game, I usually like to work in high-poly first though. Later!

Thanks everybody for the ton of input so far, really appreciate it (and seriously, special requests will make me move faster, so gimme gimme!)

More material soon :D
Last edited by yahodahan on 21 Sep 2009, 05:43, edited 2 times in total.
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Re: New Models for WZ2100! :)

Post by -Kosh- »

yahodahan wrote: Please let me know what you think, I am also working on several other models at the moment, next in line is a gun tower, and on up the tech tree... I intend to rebuild, as fast as possible, the entire game's model collection, since I am remaking the game in the Unity Engine.

Meanwhile, hope these models find some use in the community here, great work you all are doing!
Love the wall! Best looking wall that I have seen so far. :cool:

You say your remaking the game with the Unity Engine? The one that costs $200/$1500 or is it another Unity Engine?
May I ask just what are your plans for it since I believe you are looking for a return on investment? Do you plan to sell the game after the remake?
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Hey Kosh, thanks! Haha, a wall is only a wall, but good to know it's the best one you've seen! :P

Yep, I bought the $200 version for now, and intend to upgrade to the Pro version ($1400) someday when I have money...haha. Good to see someone else who knows about Unity, it's coming up fast in the game engine world!

As for return on investment- not at all. It would be completely for free, available for complete download anywhere. Would be fun to make, and won't cost all that much, my main issue is just getting dedicated people on the team, so it doesn't take forever. :)

Most importantly, I need programmers...any C +/++/# or javascript programmers out there...? :D
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

How do they look ingame?
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

wari wrote:How do they look ingame?
Those pictures are "in game". As in, I can bake that lighting directly into the object's map, no problem.

The first 2 pictures show it with full Vray realistic lighting, which of course is dependent on the direction the wall is facing, so would be a bit tricky (4 different maps would be needed, and have to be called by the engine. Something I intend to do in the Unity version, but prolly not for the old WZ2100 engine- but that's up the devs here).

The last picture (which is actually a screenshot directly from my 3D app, and got cut off, here is a link to the full image: http://ofgabriel.com/wz2100/concreteWall_unlit.png) is showing it with just basic AO baked in, for a simple look and easy use in-game. It would look exactly like that in WZ2100. :)

Thanks!
heatwave
Trained
Trained

Post by heatwave »

Holy crap, that looks sweet. However, I don't think that there should be a difference between the front and the back side. It should be symmetrical; I believe the devs will agree.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

heatwave wrote:Holy crap, that looks sweet.
Thanks! :D
yahodahan wrote:However, I don't think that there should be a difference between the front and the back side. It should be symmetrical; I believe the devs will agree.
Haha, yes, I expected flak on this one...:P However, it looks SOO much cooler that way! Haha- but, if people like, I can quickly make it into two seperate models, one with the "front" on both sides, and one with the "back" on both sides. People can decide which they like best :) It would literally take all of 2 minutes to do, so, no problem if that is needed.

Oh, and a sneak preview of the upcoming "Gun Tower":

Hoping to finish this one today, also!
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

that wall design is awesome, though as said earlier, needs symetry.

that tower is not so good though, 1/5 shorter & add some buttresses, as it looks really unstable at the moment
44mm(?) guns like that have alot of weight & recoil irl, which a tower like that would not support too well at all.

also, deffo need in-game shots of those structures :)
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

psychopompos wrote:that wall design is awesome, though as said earlier, needs symetry.
np, I'll make a symed version. (booooring) ;)

yahodahan wrote:that tower is not so good though, 1/5 shorter & add some buttresses, as it looks really unstable at the moment
44mm(?) guns like that have alot of weight & recoil irl, which a tower like that would not support too well at all.
Thanks for the input. It's still very much "in development", I'm going by the look of the old gun tower (ie "http://www.caiman.us/freepix/3070-3.jpg"). They were, i geuss, very un-realistic in the original WZ2100. Most the weapons/turrets were though, and I was trying to stick with that style, but a lil more realistic.

I'll work on making the the tower more robust, right now am mostly focusing on making the gun look good :) It has a ways go.
psychopompos wrote:also, deffo need in-game shots of those structures
Yep...about that...I have no idea how to bring them into the WZ engine. Sure it wouldn't be hard, but I'll have to learn it up soon in order to do that. However, again, they will look exactly as posted above, in-game. Well, with less dramatic lighting so they make sense for every situation, of course, :P I'll work on the in-game thing, soon...
qwerty800
Trained
Trained

Post by qwerty800 »

That looks amazing!

But I'm not totally sure if the devs will agree remaking the game with the unity engine because:
-It's propriatary
-It cost a lot
-It's not compatible with Linux, nor with the Pandora (while cross-platforming is one of the main reasons why WZ has been resurrected)
etc.

That's too bad, since your graphics looked astonishing, and that the engine (as I can see on Wikipedia) makes developing much easier... :(
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I've already explained why the Unity engine is unsuitable for our project. You are free to fork it, but you're unlikely to get much help with it. :/

The wall looks very nice. As others have mentioned, though, it needs to be symmetric. What's the polycount, by the way? Walls are used all over the place in Warzone, so it needs to be reasonably low.

The tower looks nice, but all the beams should be thicker (remember, most of the time, the game is played reasonably zoomed out), and so they need to be thicker to be visible at normal zoom. It should also be wider at the bottom than at the time - see the current towers for an example, and a mechanical engineer for an explanation of why.

The turret at the top is a weapon turret, so that should probably be done in a different model.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

qwerty800 wrote:But I'm not totally sure if the devs will agree remaking the game with the unity engine because:
-It's propriatary
-It cost a lot
-It's not compatible with Linux, nor with the Pandora (while cross-platforming is one of the main reasons why WZ has been resurrected)
etc.
Zarel wrote:I've already explained why the Unity engine is unsuitable for our project. You are free to fork it, but you're unlikely to get much help with it. :/
Yep! Didn't mean to say I intend that, I realized a while ago it was silly idea. You guys have so much invested already, and doing very well, so nobody is gonna jump to a different engine. Makes sense :) However, I definitely intend to give it a go myself, already bought the engine, and if anybody wants to toss some help/suggestions my way while I'm at, every little bit is appreciated. My big hope is the Unity project eventually grows to a point that it becomes large and well known on this site...the monetary part is out of the way, only requires time and effort now! (ha..."only"...)
Zarel wrote:The wall looks very nice. As others have mentioned, though, it needs to be symmetric. What's the polycount, by the way? Walls are used all over the place in Warzone, so it needs to be reasonably low.
Thanks Zarel- Polycount is about 170. Easy to knock it down, especially if symmetrical. Might still be a bit high, so I could just make a different version entirely with 50-100, if needed.
Zarel wrote:The tower looks nice, but all the beams should be thicker (remember, most of the time, the game is played reasonably zoomed out), and so they need to be thicker to be visible at normal zoom. It should also be wider at the bottom than at the time - see the current towers for an example, and a mechanical engineer for an explanation of why.
You're right, it's a little "spindly". I'll thicken up the bars, and widen out that base. Simply making it shorter, too, should help out a lot. The pics obviously have a lot of perspective distortion, not really the best for what the use is- i'll get some better ones up soon.

Good idea to make the weapon on Top separate, too. I will need to keep things modular so any weapon can be mounted on the tower as needed, I spose. Although I think the tower weapons should be slightly different than tank/etc mounted weapons, unlike the original.

Thanks!
Last edited by yahodahan on 20 Sep 2009, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

I was also thinking of adding some barbed/razor wire strung across the top, by using a 1 poly plane and an alpha map. Does WZ2100 support this?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yes. (But rather poorly, unfortunately)
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

cool. I'll leave it out for now, not really neccesary.

I'll try to get those walls uploaded today- what format would you like, Zarel? .obj, ASCII, FBX...etc. Whatever is easiest for you to bring into WZ. Or do I need a plugin to export directly as the ".pie"?