Friendly fire = ON

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Friendly fire = ON

Post by winsrp »

So does this game handles friendly fire?

I mean, its kind of annoying when the other player comes full of flamers and starts flaming the crap out of everyone... including them but they don't die. my rockets fly right thru my walls O_o im defending my base and my own bullets go thru my building to hit enemies, but enemies can't defend since they hit the building?

Maybe some FF = ON would be nice, maybe as a menu option.
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Re: Friendly fire = ON

Post by Powzone »

Could cause alot of trouble when you have heavy artillery mounted. Imagine your units in a close fight with enemy units and your own artillery destroying your enemy AND your units...
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well, thats the hole point of FF=ON in a warfare game... kill the enemies without killing you own men.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

winsrp wrote:So does this game handles friendly fire?

I mean, its kind of annoying when the other player comes full of flamers and starts flaming the crap out of everyone... including them but they don't die. my rockets fly right thru my walls O_o im defending my base and my own bullets go thru my building to hit enemies, but enemies can't defend since they hit the building?

Maybe some FF = ON would be nice, maybe as a menu option.
there is a general problem with projectiles going through walls, units, entire f***ing mountains etc.
if i knew what i was doing id copy the hit system fix from an earlier release, & hack it in to the new one as a patch...
but i dont even know where to even begin to look in the code to do that :stare: :|

though i do agree friendly damage should be in the game.
problem is, people used it to abuse the unit levelling system & rank up their units.
maybe have friendly fire removing/lowering exp would fix that?
Powzone wrote:Could cause alot of trouble when you have heavy artillery mounted. Imagine your units in a close fight with enemy units and your own artillery destroying your enemy AND your units...
realism is a good thing, players own fault for being so dumb with their arties as to get them THAT close to the enemy in the first place.
irl military doctrine = keep your arties away from direct assault weapons or they get killed.
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Considering the game is about Real Time Strategy, friendly fire is going to be on. I'm not going to willingly send in my tanks itno an area i am currently bombarding with artillery or VTOL strikes. Hell the game helps to encourage more of the strategy aspect most games lack.
Last edited by Revelo on 25 Aug 2009, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Read my review of Warzone 2100 here!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.115500
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well from the experience side of the game, yes, killing you own units should reduce your experience points, since you don't have to be dumb enough to kills you own units, or at least, not give you any exp at all, but negative experience should be the best IMHO.

since as Revelo said,
Revelo wrote:Considering the game is about Real time Strategy
FF should be ON to make it more challenging, interesting, strategic, and overall less stupid.

I dont think this should be such a HUGE change on code, since there should be a flag that says if units are different than mine do damage... remove that, and there you have it!! kick ass game.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Well , my indirect fire already screws my walls and vehicles if enemy gets hit near them.Lets say a few enemy tanks advance on your bunkers,the fight starts and some of your units ge involved, they go for the enemy and get between bunkers and them,in the crossfire your units wont last long since bunkers will still fire like madman.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
drex
New user

Post by drex »

winsrp wrote: FF should be ON to make it more challenging, interesting, strategic, and overall less stupid.
Not with the auto firing defences. Artillery will hit your own units and we can't do anything to stop that :gonk:
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

Well yes that might be problem, that could have 2 potential solutions

1. add a stop firing button that can be set on any tower, and when set applies to all tower at the same time
2. add the same options for tanks that tells them to fire at max, min and close range, so you could set your towers (all at the same time again), to only shoot at max range, so you will have your long distance cover, and at the same time, you can be doing close range fights with your tanks...