Mech Prototypes WIP

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Mech Prototypes WIP

Post by XANAX »

Edit by Zarel - the mechs can be downloaded here: download/file.php?id=5437

Is there anyone out there up for the challenge of make this workable? ;)

Light_mech001

Light_With_Plating_mech002
only two legs, possible medium body
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/ ... APRIME.png
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs47/f/2009/ ... APRIME.png
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/ ... APRIME.png

Super_Heavy_Body_mech001
http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/ ... APRIME.png

I think this would be cool on it

DOWNLOAD

Light/Medium
http://www.deviantart.com/download/1296 ... APRIME.3ds

Heavy/Super heavy
http://www.deviantart.com/download/1296 ... APRIME.3ds
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: Mech Prototypes WIP

Post by whippersnapper »

Don't wanna rain on anybody's parade... but here's the scoop....

WZ Mechs were done almost 8 years ago but never released because, while they looked neat as in-game screen caps, WZ's primitive
"animation" scheme made them look way, way, unsatisfactory when they walked. Just take a close look at walking cyborg legs and magnify.
The animation is still the same. Improvements to it are on the development road map but they are linch-pinned to the implementation of a new
GFX format dubbed ..wzm which you can read about HERE I'm gonna go out on the limb here and say that implementation of the .WZM format is not on the immediate horizon. Thus someone is left to dup the unsatisfactory results of some 8 years ago. (I know who did the original work and they are still around but I strongly doubt he will have changed his mind.... & that's assuming he didn't trash his source files years ago in disgust.)

'Course your mech art could still be used down the road if it is archived in the development repository as a future asset.

Regards, whipper :)
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

whippersnapper wrote:.
Don't wanna rain on anybody's parade... but here's the scoop....

WZ Mechs were done almost 8 years ago but never released because, while they looked neat as in-game screen caps, WZ's primitive
"animation" scheme made them look way, way, unsatisfactory when they walked.
unsatisfactory = progress xD

Just take a close look at walking cyborg legs and magnify.
The animation is still the same. Improvements to it are on the development road map but they are linch-pinned to the implementation of a new
GFX format dubbed ..wzm which you can read about HERE I'm gonna go out on the limb here and say that implementation of the .WZM format is not on the immediate horizon. Thus someone is left to dup the unsatisfactory results of some 8 years ago. (I know who did the original work and they are still around but I strongly doubt he will have changed his mind.... & that's assuming he didn't trash his source files years ago in disgust.)

'Course your mech art could still be used down the road if it is archived in the development repository as a future asset.

Regards, whipper :)

as you wish, the development repository it is :3
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

unsatisfactory = progress
Hah... I can appreciate that.

Reminds me of Buckminster “Bucky” Fuller's definition of "pollution":
"Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value."

(Here's a nifty article on "Bucky" if you're not familiar with his bio...

A concept I've even used in my interpretation of WZ's back story going forward...

Regards, whipper :cool:
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

whippersnapper wrote:.

Hah... I can appreciate that.
My friends said it, it sometimes gets me through the day xD

Reminds me of Buckminster “Bucky” Fuller's definition of "pollution":

A concept I've even used in my interpretation of WZ's back story going forward...

Regards, whipper :cool:

ah I see ;)
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

Wait!!!!
arent we forgetting something the ORIGINAL Mech/ Walker
thatll show the puny project how it's done... xD

on a seperate note it would be so cool to have a war of the worlds mod i.e. scavs with naval capability and unique tech tree Vs Tripod Mechs with heat rays(looks like the beam of command turret burns like a plasmite flamer also with kinetic damage :D) and for all those who have read the book/ actually Listened to the musical i know the beam was invisible but it needs some visual representation anyway.
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

new paradigm leader wrote:Wait!!!!
arent we forgetting something the ORIGINAL Mech/ Walker
thatll show the puny project how it's done... xD

on a seperate note it would be so cool to have a war of the worlds mod i.e. scavs with naval capability and unique tech tree Vs Tripod Mechs with heat rays(looks like the beam of command turret burns like a plasmite flamer also with kinetic damage :D) and for all those who have read the book/ actually Listened to the musical i know the beam was invisible but it needs some visual representation anyway.
oh, another fan of the musical? I loved the book, the musical, the live DVD and even the buggy 1998 RTS/TBS hybrid video game.
A War of the Worlds mod would be awesome, the original work is public domain nowadays, isn't it? Though I guess you'd have to create original designs (based on the descriptions from the book), since the one on the image you posted is based on the artwork for the jeff wayne album in 1978, so I guess that's still copyrighted.

I suppose: Humans would be late 19th century tech, possibly up to early WWI tech late in the tech tree. Air units would be ballons and zeppelins. I guess the top of their tech tree would involve biowarfare as bomb bays and artillery (in the book, the martians died by bacteria).
Martians would have an advantage in strength and firepower, but a major disadvantage in costs and possibly income (they're new on the planet and not effective in using the earth's resources, or something). Their VTOL's would appear later in the tech trees than the more primitive human balloons (there are martian aircraft mentioned in the book, but they never get used in the war since the martians die before they get them out of prototype phase), and I suppose they would mainly have 3 or 4 weapons (heat ray, "black smoke gas tubes" and something else) but with several variations each, and a lot of range, rof and damage upgrades.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

fisk0 wrote:
oh, another fan of the musical? I loved the book, the musical, the live DVD and even the buggy 1998 RTS/TBS hybrid video game.
A War of the Worlds mod would be awesome, the original work is public domain nowadays, isn't it? Though I guess you'd have to create original designs (based on the descriptions from the book), since the one on the image you posted is based on the artwork for the jeff wayne album in 1978, so I guess that's still copyrighted.
Me too. :) Jeff Wayne album... wow, that brings back memories. Cool stuff.

"War of the Worlds" H.G. Wells novel is not copyrighted in the US and is available at Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/36

There is also an AUDIO version of the novel that is not copyrighted in the US:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26291

New Paradigm Leader you raise a good point I never thought of before about the Martian Mechs of HG Wells.

As for the first instance of a Mech in the Western Tradition... that honor goes to the ancient Greek god of metallurgy, Hephaestus who
created the giant Mech Talus that he gave Minos, the legendary king of Crete, to patrol the shores of his island kingdom. Hephaestus
also had Mech helpers in his forge-workshop on the island of Lemnos This all dates to pre 350 B.C...

Regards, whip :cool:
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

damn i was wrong... anyway i dont think the images are licenced otherwise google and so many site would be paying a fortune so maybe these are viable however they as you say are not true their description in the media of the story. also i like the musical and book the movies are so very disappointing though no thunderchild but then a modern encounter would = massive win for humans as our artillery which is substantially more accurate than it was even with imperial british technology in 1898 (massive empire fan here) because lets face it they were very inaccurate we would call their "cannon" bombards or mortars or howitzers with a stretch. cannon of today have more then enough power direct fire and accuracy to eliminate the threat posed so maybe WW2 technology at most
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

but mine are cooler than talus :P lol
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

new paradigm leader wrote:but mine are cooler than talus :P lol
yes but, mines better than yours xD
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

depends... could three of yours successfully conquer imperial london at the dawn of the 20th century?
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

new paradigm leader wrote:depends... could three of yours successfully conquer imperial london at the dawn of the 20th century?
the Super heavies
yes
one of them are like a all terrain weapons plate; kinda like the scarab from halo 2
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

mine however have functions yours do not, for 1 high intensity heat ray :D
for 2. gas weapon for any infantry or vehicles
and of course 3 the fact weapons are not fixed to the chassis in the tripods true form (described in the book as a large box like object akin to a camera or in the musical as a funnel) they are carried. not to mention naval units would have us both at a disadvantage as wading is slower than even rowing boats.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

very nice stuff xanax!

but unfortunately the renderer is not able to do it good enough (afaik it's only texture animation (except the oil derrick which is )
how would you like to license your work? (GPL or CreativeCommons for example) i'll add it to the 'originals' repository

regards
elio