Hi-Res textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Hi-Res textures

Post by i-NoD »

Hi All,

After playing for some time in WZ2100 (trunk version) with the new terrain renderer and poorly textured structures in addition to so-called 'features' I thought I'll be a good idea to update old textures in hi-res. While creating new hi-poly structures probably will take some time, redrawing textures isn't so hard.

To start with I'd like to propose a new version of page-7-barbarians-arizona.png texture.
Here is an in-game preview:
page-7-barbarians-arizona_preview.png
Guess which side is with an old texture... xD
There is another good texture available in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2902

Also I want to update nano-trucks with those pixelated coal chambers :( with some more post-nuclear, but it's not so easy
truck_preview.png
Attachments
page-7-barbarians.zip
(335.45 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Last edited by i-NoD on 17 Jul 2009, 02:11, edited 3 times in total.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Hi-Res textures

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:Guess which side is with an old texture... xD
I like the idea, but I think you made them too thin and too dark (and there's not very much contrast on the wood platforms - I like the higher contrast of the old ones). Can you make it more like the original?

Oh, and, I liked the old generator spikes better. :/
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

I like the old structures designs better also. Impressive but i would like to see them look a bit more like the originals but high res. (like the top of the towers being a diff color)
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Ok, how about this:
page-7-barbarians-arizona_preview_2.png
Probably left is for 'arizona' texture set and right side is for 'urban' one.

Red Power Generator spike is just a mod from Black Project, you can see it here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2959. It's not related to my texture update.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Neat. I like 'em and would use 'em in the stuff I'm doing - with your permission and with all due credit, natch. :)

Regards, whip :cool:
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Great work! I've been thinking of trying to do something about the urban features for a while, but never got around to it (couldn't think of a good way to do them), good to see someone else is doing it. :)
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Here are the textures:
page-7-barbarians-arizona.png
page-7-barbarians-urban.png
Of course they are free for any use ;)
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Sweet...

Was wondering if you had changes in mind for the rocky mountain aka "barbarian-kevlar" page 7 ?

Regards, whip :cool:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Just leave page 17 alone - I think that's the one I'm working on.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Zarel wrote:Just leave page 17 alone - I think that's the one I'm working on.
Will you share your vision with us? :ninja:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:Will you share your vision with us? :ninja:
When I get home...
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

i-NoD wrote:Of course they are free for any use ;)
Short licensing nitpicking: Since the original textures are under the GPL, any modified versions are automatically GPL as well.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:Short licensing nitpicking: Since the original textures are under the GPL, any modified versions are automatically GPL as well.
Not necessarily. You can say "This is GPL, but the modifications are public domain", which is what I often do. Keeps in the spirit of "as free as possible".
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

whippersnapper wrote:Was wondering if you had changes in mind for the rocky mountain aka "barbarian-kevlar" page 7 ?
There is a problem with a 'kevlar' variant: it's used both in 'cam1c' (late arizona missions) and 'cam3' (all rocky missions)...
Of course, sand colored towers will not look good on snow terrain, so it's better to choose 'kevlar' variant similar to urban one. Or simply add 'rockies' variant of page-7 to wrf files, thus allowing to make a snow variant for this page. Also, 'kevlar' is not used for 'rockies' maps in skirmish... 'arizona' version is used :-S
I've attached an archive to the first post which contains all versions.
Now it's time to update a school bus...
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

i-NoD wrote: There is a problem with a 'kevlar' variant: it's used both in 'cam1c' (late arizona missions) and 'cam3' (all rocky missions)...
Of course, sand colored towers will not look good on snow terrain, so it's better to choose 'kevlar' variant similar to urban one. Or simply add 'rockies' variant of page-7 to wrf files, thus allowing to make a snow variant for this page. Also, 'kevlar' is not used for 'rockies' maps in skirmish... 'arizona' version is used :-S
I've attached an archive to the first post which contains all versions.
Now it's time to update a school bus...
Hmmm... when I looked at the base.wz I only saw the three page 7's and none were named "rockies" so I just assumed. Thanks for the explanation and the art. :)

Here's a screen of some of your work on my "War School" map-mod wip, using the v.2.2.1 binary (I know you made specifically for the new terrain render in trunk but I'm not running it right now.). I am using the "Rocky" tertile set but am not using any of the snow tiles or features with snow on 'em. I like the way your features "pop" here - though I'm sure there will be those who feel otherwise and would prefer the "Urban" features which would blend considerably more but what can I say - my tastes can be a decidedly contrarian... ;)

Regards, whipper :ninja: