Gates

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
andron
Trained
Trained

Gates

Post by andron »

hallo,
please build in a gate mode for gates in the walls in the next version. To be able to build gates would be a big benefit, so i think it should be in the game itself and not only in a mod.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Gates

Post by Zarel »

Gates are pretty useless. There's a reason few other games have them. The only exception I can think of is StarCraft II (which isn't even released yet), because it uses quite a few mechanics that we don't. In Warzone, a gate would be pretty useless, since you'd just destroy it and move on - leaving a gap in the wall would have much the same effect. Heck, putting hardpoints around that gap would have much more of an effect than putting a gate there, and putting both wouldn't be that much better, anyway.

I mean, theoretically, it's nice to be able to go through a wall but not let your enemy go through, but by the time your enemy is close enough, either 1. the enemy is dead or 2. the enemy has already destroyed enough of the wall to make a hole as big or bigger than your gate.

And really, if you're that paranoid of people dashing into your base through the gaps, put a flamer bunker right behind your gaps. They do 90% to 140% damage (iirc) to anything that moves, and they do 130%-140% to anything that moves quickly enough to dash into a base. They're pretty much designed to guard gaps (take the hint from how Team Beta designed their base in Beta 1 ;) ).
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

just get this if you want gates;
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2186
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Gates are really cool. No additional reason to add them are needed, IMHO ;)
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Zarel wrote:Gates are pretty useless. There's a reason few other games have them. The only exception I can think of is StarCraft II (which isn't even released yet), because it uses quite a few mechanics that we don't.
Empire Earth and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun also had gates (I think Red Alert 2 had them too, but I'm not sure. They used the same engine though). I can't remember if Dark Reign or M.A.X. had them.

You do have a point in that gates probably looks more awesome than they are actually useful, but as Per pointed out, maybe they are awesome enough to make it worth it anyway.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

On my opinion on this is we should add gates but have it as a toggle like off or 2100. In the building limit page thingies.
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

RA 2 had gates M.A.X. did not
in M.A.X. I always wanted them to keep infilterators out!
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
ThunderBuns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ThunderBuns »

Gates are very useful, Empire Earth of all games proved this. You could easily wall yourself off in Empire Earth then add a gate to let your army pass. I don't see how people can dub gates "useless."
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

ThunderBuns wrote:Gates are very useful, Empire Earth of all games proved this. You could easily wall yourself off in Empire Earth then add a gate to let your army pass. I don't see how people can dub gates "useless."
I guess it depends on the game. In most games, including Warzone, the average damage rate is high enough that either the gate or the army is going to be destroyed before one of them gets to the other.
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

Zarel wrote: I guess it depends on the game. In most games, including Warzone, the average damage rate is high enough that either the gate or the army is going to be destroyed before one of them gets to the other.

then make the gates and walls a pain to destroy
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, no. This is Warzone, not some other game.
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

Zarel wrote:Erm, no. This is Warzone, not some other game.
just a suggestion :-S
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

As Per said, gates *are* cool. Reason enough.

Any defense can be destroyed. Part of its value is that it takes time to do so. This delays the attacker; this is good.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Electro-gates!

Now where is that forum post... :stare:
and it ends here.