2c-BigDipper

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
zydonk
Trained
Trained

2c-BigDipper

Post by zydonk »

Does anyone know who created the BigDipper map? The wdg is dated August 1999, so it must be one of the first custom maps. Though it is laid out for four bases, it was made available only as a two-hander.

I've played it as a four-hander skirmish for years, but recently created a kind of "test-bench" from it as a way of testing the balance of mods. Some modes - esp those that allow AI teaming - won't work very well, but I've had BP's excellent Ultimate Warfare running for over 20 hours and the four players are still lashing into each other.

This might be of interest to others - esp modders - but I need to get permission in order to release it. (The four hander itself is fun, too.)

ciao
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: 2c-BigDipper

Post by whippersnapper »

zydonk wrote:Does anyone know who created the BigDipper map? The wdg is dated August 1999, so it must be one of the first custom maps. Though it is laid out for four bases, it was made available only as a two-hander.

I've played it as a four-hander skirmish for years, but recently created a kind of "test-bench" from it as a way of testing the balance of mods. Some modes - esp those that allow AI teaming - won't work very well, but I've had BP's excellent Ultimate Warfare running for over 20 hours and the four players are still lashing into each other.

This might be of interest to others - esp modders - but I need to get permission in order to release it. (The four hander itself is fun, too.)

ciao

-- Iso made the map but I don't know how to get in touch with him.

-- Bronco might though or he may even be able to give permission by proxy;

-- You can contact Bronco here: wf_bronco AT strategyplanet.com

-- I do remember that in the first couple months of EWs release over a hundred different peeps
made WZ maps. By my reckoning over 1000 WZ maps have been made since 1999.

- Cheers, whipper. :cool:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

thanks, whippersnapper. I'm contacting Bronco.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any observations on this test-bench idea? Would it be useful to modders, for instance?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

zydonk wrote:
Meanwhile, does anyone have any observations on this test-bench idea? Would it be useful to modders, for instance?
-- It's a good idea, imo. I've heard in the past Modders express how they like to use this or that map to test their work. NiKer has used a map
called "RiverShore" to test BecomePrey for many years - it was actually designed to that end..

-- When I test Ski A.I. I've been using the "Start-up" Map for a while. Or when I test new maps I always end-up using Become Prey as my final bench A.I. With other type Mods I've used several maps but up to now I've favored "Fishnets" and "Trinity" for bench testing...

-- One thing I have observed as well is that initial testing works best on 2-player maps. You have a better chance of catching it all. Then
if your testing for Team Play you shift your bench tests to a 4-player map.

-Cheers, whipper. :)
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand