A few issues

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

A few issues

Post by GiGaBaNE »

I dont really wanna try set up a trac ticket till ive talked with you lot, but ive seen a few things i dont like and wonder if others are having same issues.

1) I am having a bug where my tanks return to the repair facility. heal up to full then instantly return to 50% health, even after several attempts to repair.

2) Sensor trucks act too much like commanders with regard to attached tanks/artillery. If a sensor truck is within sensor range of enemy models, the attached artillery should automaticly fire, i dont want to sit there babysitting my mobile artillery battery's when there are pther fights to be won on the map, also if said sesor truck is set to patrol the attached artillery still does not fire.

3) AI pathing is most definatly broken on all skirmish/multiplayer games. Im constantly having to deal with lame pathing where one 1 square entrances are readily availible but the vehicle would rather drive across the entire map to find an alternate entrance unless i tease them through the gap with micro clicks =/

4) AI tank stockpiling. Both on normal AI and AIvolution...What good is 50 tanks against me if they are just sat in a great big trafic jam in the enemy base or worse, last night my AIvolution opponent just had a huge mass of them parked up in a field somewhere, no conjestion issues apparent, they just all got out of their tanks and went home or something =(
wz2100_shot_006.png
Attachments
wz2100_shot_007.png
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: A few issues

Post by lav_coyote25 »

gateways are the problem with the shown map. :3 :3 xD and as we all know gateways DO affect pathfinding. :3 :3 xD

http://docs.wz2100.net/map%20tutorials/ ... g_Gateways:

in fact if you read over the entire map making tutorial from start to finish - most all questions concerning a map can be answered. :3 :3 xD even if your not building one - attention to what the ai and your units are doing can usually be explained in short order - will help with bug reporting. :3 :3 xD
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

If you want to know if your pathfinding problem is due to gateways get a nightly build. These do not make use of gateways for pathfinding (they only exist for the benefit of scripts). If your problem disappears, then gateways are the problem.

Regards, Freddie.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

If you have savegames that show obvious problems with the AI and/or path-finding for trunk/2.2/snapshot versions, then please post them as a bug ticket. They are really, really helpful.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

I have yet to get into all this Nightly build business, i play with my kids so as a general rule i only download the lastest official release.
Can i download and run the developer versions without affecting my current install?

I put a lot of hours into the game so i get to see all the nasty bugs, but havnt really got into offering feedback yet so ill have to learn how ;)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

EvilGuru wrote:If you want to know if your pathfinding problem is due to gateways get a nightly build. These do not make use of gateways for pathfinding (they only exist for the benefit of scripts). If your problem disappears, then gateways are the problem.

Regards, Freddie.

so what is being used instead of gateways - just the blocking tiles? or is it a combination of both.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The gateways were used in the original code as a hack to speed up path-finding at the cost of generating really bad paths some of the time. In my testing, I found that reorganizing the path-finding code to use threads was faster than using this hack, at least for modern multi-core computers.

I think some of the path-finding problems we have now is due to the AI scripts not having a function to check whether a unit can go somewhere or not (ie is it capable of moving to position X,Y), leading to very bad behaviour on some maps. This is a somewhat tricky problem since the path-finding API (both now and earlier) is asynchronous.
fulano
Greenhorn

Post by fulano »

GiGaBaNE wrote: 2) Sensor trucks act too much like commanders with regard to attached tanks/artillery. If a sensor truck is within sensor range of enemy models, the attached artillery should automaticly fire, i dont want to sit there babysitting my mobile artillery battery's when there are pther fights to be won on the map, also if said sesor truck is set to patrol the attached artillery still does not fire.
I would like it if the trucks were set to target automatically but they would need to act more like a mobile sensor tower than the way it currently works. I think the sensor trucks would be too powerful if you had them automatically fire currently. I was playing the ziggurat map and noticed my wide spectrum sensor truck could aim at targets on the other side of the map without leaving the top of my base. It had longer range than my artillery that was attached to it. Maybe it's range increases with experience, I'm not sure, but that kind of sensor range is not balanced for automatic firing.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

the wide spectrum sensor array is a special-sensor
it is linked to every other sensor so it does not have to move to target
the range itself, if it has to move to an unexplored the range is not as far as the artillery of course ;)
DarkCheetah
Trained
Trained

Post by DarkCheetah »

looking to the screenshots, i directly recognize a isue that happens alot with normal ai , there production of units is stuck at those yellow boddie's Lancer Scorpion Tracks and Hvy cannon
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

fulano wrote:I would like it if the trucks were set to target automatically but they would need to act more like a mobile sensor tower than the way it currently works. I think the sensor trucks would be too powerful if you had them automatically fire currently. I was playing the ziggurat map and noticed my wide spectrum sensor truck could aim at targets on the other side of the map without leaving the top of my base. It had longer range than my artillery that was attached to it. Maybe it's range increases with experience, I'm not sure, but that kind of sensor range is not balanced for automatic firing.
No, that only happens when you have Satellite Uplink, iirc. We're considering removing that functionality because it's a bit unbalanced, but nothing's happened yet.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

I think the problem with the tanks piling up, is that the AI is trying to send them to an enemy base on the other side of the water, and the tanks have no way to get there, so they just drive out on a peninsular and get confused.

I've only seen that happen on island maps with no "bridges"