The Quit Screen

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

What do you think about the quit screen? (with the Warzone, Pumpkin and Eidos logos)

I like it, keep it!
21%
It can stay but will need a serious overhaul.
27%
It annoys me, please remove it.
52%

Total votes: 33

gerard_
Trained
Trained

The Quit Screen

Post by gerard_ »

I myself like "Quit Game" do do exactly that: return me to my desktop as quickly as possible. Currently however, we are first shown a screen containing the Warzone, Eidos and Pumpkin logos. How do you like it?
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Re: The Quit Screen

Post by fisk0 »

I'm not sure. They do deserve a lot of credit for the original game, but yes, it is somewhat annoying that it won't quit until after it has showed that screen. Maybe it could be moved to some "About Warzone" thing with a credits scroll?
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Well, you could put the exit screen as an option...
"Relativity applies to Physics, not Ethics." - Albert Einstein
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

HolyDragoon wrote:Well, you could put the exit screen as an option...
Sure we could, but that means more code, thus more code in which we can have bugs. The entire reason for setting up this poll is that we prefer to remove the quit screen altogether (if most people don't object).
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

It annoys you that you have to click one more time to get back to the desktop?

You guys are seriously messed up.
Jimmbob
Trained
Trained

Post by Jimmbob »

i like it! :P its nice to see the work gone into the game acknowledged, although that obviously goes without saying :)
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Giel wrote:
HolyDragoon wrote:Well, you could put the exit screen as an option...
Sure we could, but that means more code, thus more code in which we can have bugs. The entire reason for setting up this poll is that we prefer to remove the quit screen altogether (if most people don't object).
Yeah, the code is the problem... it isn't just a few lines, like in simple programs...
"Relativity applies to Physics, not Ethics." - Albert Einstein
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

......They do deserve a lot of credit for the original game........
absolutely they do. especially when you take into account that wz 2100 MP game play in 2008 is substantively
the SAME as wz 2100 in 1999. and of course the campaign is exactly the same and it is the main
draw for newbs - the campaign that it.... IMO, the greatest GPM changes between 1999 and 2008 are
still in MODs and New Skirmish A.I.s .... the original game play mechanics still petrified like a fly in amber quartz as
created by Pumpkin Studios...

or better yet - this....

...but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

(from Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5)

Last edited by whippersnapper on 10 Nov 2008, 21:28, edited 2 times in total.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

nah i don't like it, a special credits screen is better
i know who made warzone and they did and do a great job
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

Well, pumpkin did bring about this game, but I believe that credits are already shown when you first begin the game, and when your on the main menu. So…showing them again when you quit is sort of pointless. Not that they don’t deserve credit, there will be times when a person is in a hurry and needs to shutdown the computer ASAP. I say sack it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Show it on first load, or something. Showing such a screen repeatedly isn't going to make anyone appreciate Pumpkin more, and it just wastes time and everything. Few other games do it these days, for good reason.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

are we really talking about 4-SECONDS approx ? Oh lord, what a monumental waste of time ! scandalous...
outrageous, even... unbelievable. an infamous situation that must be rectified at all costs !. bring
out the big guns. this definitely should get more attention than any efforts at balance, netcode, mods, maps, EW,
widgets, PF, testing, etc.. :rolleyes:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Yes, I think people have gone insane if the extra click to exit a game is causing them grief.
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Chojun wrote:It annoys you that you have to click one more time to get back to the desktop?

You guys are seriously messed up.
Well, thanks for that. Like Giel said, code which isn't there can not contain any bugs. In the long run it will save us a lot of time to remove a small feature like this. And most of you might start and quit the game only once a day, I do it once every five minutes when fixing bugs.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

I wouldn't mind the screen so much if we actually did something with it.

However, while it is important to acknowledge the work of Pumpkin and Eidos it is also, equally important, to acknowledge and recognise the work of everyone else. If you do the math it works out that over the last 3 or so years around 350,000 lines of source code have been modified, or approximately 1.5x that of the game itself.

I am for a credits screen, with the company logos/names of everyone who has contributed, testers and all. If we're going to keep the screen, lets do it because we like the artwork (there were several proposals for alternative images a while back, maybe we could cycle through them), but doing it out of respect for Pumpkin or Eidos is not the right reason.

A scrolling widget will be possible with betawidget so maybe when I come around to redesigning the front-end I'll look into it some more.

Regards, Freddie.