naval propulsion for heavy bodies

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: naval propulsion for heavy bodies

Post by Per »

elio, can you post the latest 3ds model with texture?
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

unfortunately i've upgraded my pc to ubuntu 8.04 which broked my wine+cinema4d thing, so i've to set up a working enviroment on my windows partition (invested about 4 hours in wine+cinema4d: no success :evil: ) i'll look tomorrow.
next step is to implement teamcolors
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

kage wrote:ack. another day, another minute i wish i had to spend on redoing the blender pie plugin... errors aside, for the foreseeable future, the 3ds2pie exporter is going to be the way to go, and from everything i've seen, it's very robust in its own right.
hmm would you like to redo your blender plugin? the level-feature (.. teamcolors) is very practical i would like it if it works :ninja:

so if you have time to do so, blender file and textures attached

here are some ingame screenshots, currently exported from blender to obj to pie (not the blender-pie plugin)
some tweaking and then it's finished i think
Attachments
ingame 11
ingame 11
ingame 10
ingame 10
ingame 9
ingame 9
ingame 8
ingame 8
ingame 7
ingame 7
ingame 6
ingame 6
ingame 5
ingame 5
ingame 4
ingame 4
ingame 3
ingame 3
ingame 2
ingame 2
ingame 1
ingame 1
propulsion.tar.gz
model: blender->obj 3ds pie; texture: xcf->png
(677.18 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

WOOOOOOOOW!This is simply GREAT!
Xfire-->chris37killer
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

looking good, but do they behave the same way a hover?
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

but do they behave the same way a hover?
no, ships cannot drive on land

@devs: is it possible to lower the body without make changes to the body pie-files?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

elio wrote:thanks :)
@devs: is it possible to lower the body without make changes to the body pie-files?
You mean make it dip into the water? Yes, I was going to do that once I had a model to test it on :cool:

The only thing I am afraid of, is that people will expect ripples in the water! :stressed:
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

:stressed:
shaders shaders hurrai hurrai :ninja:
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

looks neat.
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

-------------------->

* I have a simple question which I believe relevant and in no way stupid.

* In what way(s) is this naval propulsion an advantage over using hover propulsion ?

* To my way of thinking hover can travel over land and water and carry the same munitions. For Naval Propulsion to be useful it has to have a clear advantage over hover. For example - this Naval Prop has more armor and can thus sustain more HPs than hover prop and that diff is quite noticeable in combat. Or this Naval prop comes a fair bit sooner on the Tech Tree than Hover Prop (which would bring to the fore the rationale for Heavy Body exclusivity) .... Stuff like that.

- Regards, Rman.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

I would imagine naval propulsion would be like an armored battleship, slower than hover but with more overall power.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Rman Virgil wrote: * I have a simple question which I believe relevant and in no way stupid.

* In what way(s) is this naval propulsion an advantage over using hover propulsion ?

* To my way of thinking hover can travel over land and water and carry the same munitions. For Naval Propulsion to be useful it has to have a clear advantage over hover. For example - this Naval Prop has more armor and can thus sustain more HPs than hover prop and that diff is quite noticeable in combat. Or this Naval prop comes a fair bit sooner on the Tech Tree than Hover Prop (which would bring to the fore the rationale for Heavy Body exclusivity) .... Stuff like that.
Those are definitely relevant questions. I do not really have the answers, though I think it would be quite natural that naval units are quite heavy in armour and body points, and capable of transporting very heavy weaponry without much (or any) speed penalty.
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

i think it will better use if boat are unit transport.

If we have naval unit, we must have naval building.
Naval repair center.
mortar boat. lol
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Per wrote:Those are definitely relevant questions. I do not really have the answers, though I think it would be quite natural that naval units are quite heavy in armour and body points, and capable of transporting very heavy weaponry without much (or any) speed penalty.
I think the most obvious point that was missed is that naval units would be limited to water whereas hovercraft are amphibious. A factory would have to be built near (if not right next to) the water.

Naval units must be field repaired or recycled since they can't go to repair facilities.

Naval units should incur a speed penalty by their very nature, this not taking into account their bodies or weapons. I suspect naval units would be hardy but slow.

Naval units can sit in water. Hovercraft would have to be changed so that they cannot sit in water, but can cross it (or fight on it). This important distinction would allow the naval units to have a role that is a little more mutually exclusive with the hovercraft role.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

this is the final (you know what final means xD, it's never final) model

i'll tweak it a bit to fit with the other bodies and with
it'll look good i think :)

could we leave this info _not_ hardcoded? and different values for each body.. because nexus heavy body fits nice, but python looks too high
-> but first i'm happy with lower everything quiet a bit :)
Attachments
prhnaval1.zip
model: blender, pie texture: xcf, png
beware zip-bomb
(674.14 KiB) Downloaded 265 times