Maybe an old new GFX problem (Blue menus)

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Maybe an old new GFX problem (Blue menus)

Post by Powzone »

I start a new thread, because this problem is not exactly like the "empty blue boxes bug".

So here's maybe a new problem. It looks a bit similar to the empty menu boxes bug. In 2.0.10 the background GFX in the menus are scrambled and the letters are replaced by blue boxes.
Scrambled GFX in 2.0.10
Scrambled GFX in 2.0.10
Something similar but not the same is happening in 2.1 beta 2, but instead of the blue boxes the chars get "scanlined".
Scrambled GFX in 2.1 beta 2
Scrambled GFX in 2.1 beta 2
I got the problem at any resolution windowed and fullscreen. I tried the shadow switches also.

In 2.0.10 the ingame looks like this:
Scrambled ingame GFX 2.0.10
Scrambled ingame GFX 2.0.10
The funny thing is, that the menus and the textures ingame get fixed after "Alt+Tabbing" out and back into the game.

In 2.1 beta 2 I don't even get ingame. :(

I know I have a problem with OpenGL. When playing "Quake 3 Arena" I have big problems and crashes also. I use the "newest" original S3 driver available with the "tw5333.inf" (seems to be the most important file in the driver setup) dated 01.10.2003.

Anyway, here are my system specs:

Acer Aspire 1300 (Laptop)
CPU: mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ , MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
RAM: 512MB RAM
GFX: S3 Graphics Twister K (16MB shared)*

OS: Windows XP SP3 (I had the same problems on XP SP2 also)

Hopefully somebody can help. I did not use any commandline parameters except for the resolution of 1024x768 and fullscreen when the screenshots were taken.

*It is possible to switch the GFX RAM to 32MB in Windows, but after a forced restart the BIOS sets it back again to 16MB. If some know how to fix it, send me a PM please. Thanks in advance!
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Re: Maybe an old new GFX problem (Blue menus)

Post by Powzone »

Well after trying out a lot of different GFX-driver versions provided by Acer and S3, it seems, that there is no way to fix this problem on my system. It even gets worse by crashing as soon as I start WZ or Q3A with the same "blue screen" error message. I will hipefully get a new rig soon. Thanks for the help on IRC!
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

Uh... sorry for bumpage, but it seemed better than to start a new thread.

I swear I saw this somewhere else, but the menus on the later SVN builds and beta 4 aren't displaying any text. Am I missing a font or something?
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

I got my OpenGL problem fixed and everything is running fine on 2.0.10 and Beta 2. Even Q3A runs without problems. This time it seems like a bug with the textures like this:
Zuschneiden.jpg
Weird, huh? :D
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Not so weird actually. The terrain textures were not loaded, that's why you just see the white "background".
Did you already try reducing the tile texture sizes? Entry "textureSize" in the config. (Has a menu entry too, though I dont remember it at the moment.)
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

Hmm... I tried the following texture sizes: 8, 16, 32, 64, 256 Nothing changed. After that I tried them all again including the default 128 in 16bbp and that didn't work either. :(

And I have still the scrambeled/streched text everywhere like in the 2.1 beta 2 screenshot. I forgot to mention that before...
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Looks like video driver bugs too me. :(

File a bug report with S3.
Maybe, just maybe they will fix it.

You may also want to allocate more memory to the video device, that may help.