directx? error on running of worldeditor 32

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: directx? error on running of worldeditor 32

Post by Buginator »

Rman Virgil wrote: * .PCX is the original source. We move ONLY from the original source. .pcx > ?.... NOT .pcx > .png > ?. Make sense ?

- Regards, RV :)
Well, at the time the game was made, it sorta made sense to use pcx.
But, I wouldn't use that format for >256 colors.  The pcx format doesn't have a alpha channel, so it would be practically useless if you are doing stuff with alpha.  Yeah, there are ways around it, but why bother when another format will suffice.

So there is no issue with using dds?  Hmm.  Looks like something else to add to my TODO list. :)

sorry for getting so OT from a error message to a format question--but maybe someone learned something from all this.  ;D
and it ends here.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

DDS usually uses lossy compression (for good reason), and requires that artists use rather specific software to edit them. That is why it makes sense to keep the originals in PNG, but bake DDS texture maps for distribution and installation. Once we get the infrastructure to make it easy to bake and unbake data in and out of a .wz file, I would not mind adding DDS support.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

I know just the application ;)

Regards, Freddie.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Rman Virgil wrote: * The 3rd version of EW that I'm useing was built outta the Pumpkin Source by Remus. This version supports a 32bit Desk Top and uses 24 bit .pcx instead of 24bit .pngs (there were very good reasons for moving away from .pngs that I'm not gonna get into here). This is the version of EW were I encountered the PAL (DX) issue with my card on my Toshiba SAT duo-core Centrino LT (w/integrated Intel GFX accelerator). That problem was eliminated when Remus made the changes I described to the new EW .exe he coded. I no longer have the prob and can run all versions of EW flawlessly. Right now I am only useing Remus's EW because I'm working on the new Campaign maps for 2200 which run our data set and binary.

- Cheers, RV :)
And you thought you were done with this thread... ;)
For the last part of your statement, is the output .wdg, or .wz (aka zip) or something else?
and it ends here.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Buginator wrote: And you thought you were done with this thread... ;)
For the last part of your statement, is the output .wdg, or .wz (aka zip) or something else?
* Funny guy.... yep, thought I was done. ;)

* .zip  it is.

* Now could ya do me a favor... if ya see Sput(Sputnick) on #warzone2100 could ya tell him where to find me. Would appreciate. :)  (I'll also try him @ http://quassel-irc.org now that I know what he's been up to of late.. been outta touch for awhile but we go back to 04/1999... last I heard he was makin' robots.)

- Thanks, Rman :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Rman Virgil wrote: * Funny guy.... yep, thought I was done. ;)

* .zip  it is.

* Now could ya do me a favor... if ya see Sput(Sputnick) on #warzone2100 could ya tell him where to find me. Would appreciate. :)  (I'll also try him @ http://quassel-irc.org now that I know what he's been up to of late.. been outta touch for awhile but we go back to 04/1999... last I heard he was makin' robots.)

- Thanks, Rman :D
Ok, I sent him your way...
and it ends here.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

-------------->

* Thanks Bug. :) Amazing after almost 10 years we still find this game facinating (esp its yet to be fulfilled promise - which no other RTS to date has achieved) and also that folks we met when the game was new left us with such a favorable impression we still recall them fondly all this time later.

- Regards, RV :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo