So, what should we do for music?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
michaelb
Rookie
Rookie

So, what should we do for music?

Post by michaelb »

Hey!

So, has there been any decisions as to a default play list yet? As in, is bundled music still on the menu? I generally think the lack of soundtrack is still quite an issue with the game, so it would be good to soon start bundling music. We really should start moving this along... and if we can't agree on a play list, maybe a poll for the developers on play list suggestions would be in order?

I just thought I'd make a new thread, to show that I'm still alive and interested (and still think Warzone 2100 is possibly the best open source game out there), and because the other thread is quite old by now.

On a side note, my opinion is that it would still be good to additionally release a version of the game that does not have the music pre-bundled, as the download size currently is so slim and sexy.

To sum up the old thread...
My music and Chojun's music can still be found here: http://wiki.wz2100.net/Music_proposals
karmazilla had the suggestion (taken from old thread):

Code: Select all

[game]
path=.
shuffle=yes
Shaovin.mp3
tonaldiscrepancy-grindstone.ogg
tonaldiscrepancy-bufferzone.ogg
tonaldiscrepancy-reconn.ogg

[menu]
path=.
Collective.mp3
Collective2.mp3
I think that looks pretty good to me -- although non-transcoded oggs would be nice.

I didn't see any other suggestions that only included free music.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Re: So, what should we do for music?

Post by ratarf »

The soundtracks in the wiki sound nice.

But a small suggestion: It would be so great if the music adapted to the gameplay. I would really like some heavy guitars when I start attacking. Off course,  it's harder to implement. But I think it's doable. A 'guitars fade in' trigger when you destroy some (lets say 5) enemy structures or units, and a fade out trigger when there was nog combat for a while.
Most of the current music in the wiki would be great for the game in general.

P.S: I like the guitar in 'Shaovin.mp3' about 2/3 into the song.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

michaelb wrote: Hey!

So, has there been any decisions as to a default play list yet? As in, is bundled music still on the menu? I generally think the lack of soundtrack is still quite an issue with the game, so it would be good to soon start bundling music. We really should start moving this along... and if we can't agree on a play list, maybe a poll for the developers on play list suggestions would be in order?

I just thought I'd make a new thread, to show that I'm still alive and interested (and still think Warzone 2100 is possibly the best open source game out there), and because the other thread is quite old by now.

On a side note, my opinion is that it would still be good to additionally release a version of the game that does not have the music pre-bundled, as the download size currently is so slim and sexy.

To sum up the old thread...
My music and Chojun's music can still be found here: http://wiki.wz2100.net/Music_proposals
karmazilla had the suggestion (taken from old thread):
All the past warzones (pre GNA) did have music AFAIK, it is only that this version doesn't.
It would indeed be nice to have some stuff included in the next release.
and it ends here.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

-------->

* @ ratarf: I know what you mean 'bout heavy guitars when your attacking.

* The opening of THIS tune fits that bill for me.

- RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
suicideidiot123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by suicideidiot123 »

i would love to hear this ingame myself, as it brings memories of the original soundtrack

however i need to find a way to play ogg files without screwin windows media player with bad codex(happened last time, couldnt access library)

really great music though  ;D ;D
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

get the k-lite codec pack.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

Rman Virgil wrote: -------->
The opening of THIS tune fits that bill for me.
That sounds really nice.
I'm trying to compose something too. More info soon!
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Chojun wrote: get the k-lite codec pack.
I prefer the Combined Community Codec Pack (short CCCP) and the Media Player Classic Homecinema.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

Rman Virgil wrote: -------->

* @ ratarf: I know what you mean 'bout heavy guitars when your attacking.

* The opening of THIS tune fits that bill for me.

- RV :)
Dude this is damn creapy  :o . It sounds like in "old school" dances. No... This soundtrack is not good choice.
WZ is a little bit mystic game (Nexus and other...), so, music can be hard and slow. No damn guitars or other punks stuff.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

He was referring to the intro of the song, and I liked the guitars there. Although, the rest of the song sounds a little too happy indeed.
But what do you mean by "music can be hard and slow. No damn guitar or others punks stuff"? You mean guitars can't be hard and slow?
Wait till you hear my soundtrack!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

ratarf wrote:
Wait till you hear my soundtrack!
* I'd like to. :)

* You may already have a place to host your music but I'll still recommend "MP3crib.com"... Free hosting of course & very generous too. Plus the Play Lists you create are contained in a streaming MP3 player you can even imbed in a post like this. Very kwel service.

- Regards, RV :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

A4tech wrote:
Dude this is damn creapy  :o . It sounds like in "old school" dances. No... This soundtrack is not good choice. WZ is a little bit mystic game (Nexus and other...), so, music can be hard and slow. No damn guitars or other punks stuff.
* Well dude the thing is your "gospel" PoV doesn't have to be my choice. I (or anyone else) can listen to whatever music we like when we play WZ - even "creepy" stuff. It's a very personal thing. I have absolutely no interest in an "official" playlist for my gaming.... I make my own playlists up and the music that goes into 'em too boot...

* And btw, I was NOT suggesting the linked tune be a part of any "packaged soundtrack" for your consumption... I was merely relating to what struck me as a parallel shared taste in a certain situation of playing with ratarf's comments. It was very much in a fun spirit so far removed from any dogma that it never occured to me that my post would be taken as some elitist edict.

* "Old school dances" ? Dude that ain't dance music, compositional speaking, though of course if your in an ecstatic state you can "dance" to anything because it's more what you hear in your head than through your ears.. Them's have been called brothers & sister's from another planet and such ;)

* Maybe for you WZ is a bit of a "mystic" game, and that's fine if it floats your boat but for me WZ is about blowing other peeps chit-up in a variety of clever ways in a SciFi fiction inspired game world.

* ".... So, music can be hard & slow. No damn guitars or other punks stuff..."

* Dude a guitar can be as versatile an instrument as a grand piano, able to create an endless universe of sound - both "hard and soft", in whatever tempo suites ya. (I know from 1st hand experience.)

* Dude, I can't imagine Segovia as a "punk". Actually it conjures a mystical and absurdly fanatical picture in my mind's eye (and not  just of some quasi punked-out Segovia).

* This has been amusing..... sorta.

- RV ;)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

So here's a little preview of what I'm working on.
Please keep in mind that this is in no way a full song. In fact, it's just meant to show the style of music I would like during battle.

Have fun: http://users.skynet.be/ratarf/Battle.mp3

P.S: if you think this sounds like 'oldschool dances', check your ears  8)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

ratarf wrote: So here's a little preview of what I'm working on.
Please keep in mind that this is in no way a full song. In fact, it's just meant to show the style of music I would like during battle.

P.S: if you think this sounds like 'oldschool dances', check your ears  8)

* Wow... I like it lots. :) Definitely going in my playlist.

* Keep to it, bro... seriously, IMO, I think it's coming along real good and is, to my ear and tastes, absolutely perfect for battle sequences. There's also a subtle sinister quality about it that I like too that fits how imagine the Nexus faction (for example)... of course that is a very subjective interpretation.

- RV :D

* EDIT:

* I hope it's OK with you ratarf - I put your link up on the WZ 2200 HP NEWS because I'd like everyone in our neck of the woods to hear what your creating. :)

* If for whatever reason you want me to take it down just tell me and I will. (I don't know what limits you might be working with on your host TP / streaming..)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 09 Apr 2008, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

ratarf wrote: So here's a little preview of what I'm working on.

I think it is very good. Maybe leaning a little on the heavy instrumental side, which can become tiresome if you loop it endlessly during a game. Try listening to the original game soundtracks for an idea of how to make a soundtrack that can loop forever.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."