Questions about cheat mode

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Lurker
New user

Questions about cheat mode

Post by Lurker »

Hi,

I don't play online, mostly skirmish. I wanted to save an ongoing game on a random map that I really like, so tried out cheat mode for a first time. I just wanted to get some breathing room, but cheats really don't help?

Alt+K or "kill" only works on selected units. Cannot select enemy units or buildings, so absolutely useless.
"biffer baker" cannot be disabled (or I don't understand how), so doesn't help either.
"get off my land" is an instant (unwanted) win, because it doesn't kill just enemy units, but everything.

I don't understand how to change players with the debug mode console, but "Y" seems to work (contrary to the wiki@Atlassian claims). So I first need to change players before I'm able to kill "my" units.

Also, cheat keyboard shortcuts often conflict with my custom keymap. I'd prefer if cheats override user keymap temporarily while activated.

I'm missing a simple switchable invulnerability cheat for a situation like this.

If I sound frustrated, that is because I currently am. :augh: :D
Lurker
New user

Re: Questions about cheat mode

Post by Lurker »

Okay, so I was able to figure out how to change players and use Alt+K / "kill" to solve my problem, shortly after my frustration-inspired rant. I'm used to heavily (ab-)using game speed control (turning the game more into like a real-time-with-pause experience), and cheats or debug mode take some time to apply. Ironically, the wiki was right, and changing player slots via debug mode is (or seems to be) more reliable compared to using "Y".

I also am very amused about how easy it is to remove the "cheated" flag from a savegame with a simple text editor. :oops: