A little something positive...

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Rider
Trained
Trained

A little something positive...

Post by Rider »

Instead of all the "This is b0rked" and "This crashes the game" threads that are abundant here I decided to do something a little more positive.

I played a game of WZ2100 the other day, with a friend against 2 AI's, and everything worked perfectly! Oh sure, on 1 (count 'em, one!) occasion a unit wasn't synced, but it wasn't anything mayor anyway. The game ran fine, we played for 2 and a half hours and when we won, we both won. I love it!

So there, something positive. Great work guys :)
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Re: A little something positive...

Post by A4tech »

You play throw lobby, hamachi, LAN?  ;D
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Rider wrote: Instead of all the "This is b0rked" and "This crashes the game" threads that are abundant here I decided to do something a little more positive.

I played a game of WZ2100 the other day, with a friend against 2 AI's, and everything worked perfectly! Oh sure, on 1 (count 'em, one!) occasion a unit wasn't synced, but it wasn't anything mayor anyway. The game ran fine, we played for 2 and a half hours and when we won, we both won. I love it!

So there, something positive. Great work guys :)
Not to downgrade your positive post, but unless you know what to look for, then everything seems fine.

The game is pretty playable right now.

So I will end with that positive remark.  ;D
and it ends here.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I tried some online gaming too. I've played three-four games via LAN with some friend (3 humans and 3 cpus) and it all worked fine. Online multiplayer seems to have some problem though, like when the games thinks you have won - while your enemies are still there.
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

Yeah... a little packet loss seems to ruin games
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Ursa wrote: Yeah... a little packet loss seems to ruin games
No such thing as packet loss :)

We use TCP which guarantees that all packets will arrive and arrive in order. Therefore any problems with the netcode are not due to packet loss.

1.10, however, used UDP. This was highly susceptible to packet loss. The advantage was slightly lower response times (so lower pings).

Regards, Freddie.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Ursa wrote: Yeah... a little packet loss seems to ruin games
As EvilGuru pointed out, we don't really have packet loss.

We just have units doing different things on different machines, and while it isn't noticeable all the time for people playing over the net, if you play on a LAN, or you use teamspeak or something like that to see if the units are doing the same thing, then you will see the issue.

There is a fix for this, but it is at the expense of bandwidth.
and it ends here.
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

Average user have at least 1Mbit/s connection. It's not bad that WZ "eats" 256kB/s or 512kB/s. Connections can handle this  ;D . Specialy mine (10Mbit/s).
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

Buginator wrote:We just have units doing different things on different machines, and while it isn't noticeable all the time for people playing over the net, if you play on a LAN, or you use teamspeak or something like that to see if the units are doing the same thing, then you will see the issue.
Actually me and my friend played over LAN and I was able to look at his screen all the time. There weren't any noticeable cases of desynchronization (except the one I mentioned) which is a big step up from the previous release :)
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I was able to look at his screen all the time.
Oh, very useful. Not only for that i mean  :D

By the way, i had some other game via LAN and everything worked perfectly, i played sometimes online too and had only a bug (not me, the other player). The bug is the one which causes the game to force a win screen even if the game has just started.
MetalBeast
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalBeast »

Buginator wrote: The game is pretty playable right now.
Not for everyone ;) Since Beta2 the skirmisch mode is unplayable for me, because of the "stutter" - problem.
After 1-2 hours of playing the game is mutating to slide-show ;) >>> unplayable.
In Beta 1, I had this problem only in AIvolution mode.

So I switched back to 2.0.10 (with the landingpad bug) :(
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

MetalBeast wrote: Not for everyone ;) Since Beta2 the skirmisch mode is unplayable for me, because of the "stutter" - problem.
After 1-2 hours of playing the game is mutating to slide-show ;) >>> unplayable.
In Beta 1, I had this problem only in AIvolution mode.

So I switched back to 2.0.10 (with the landingpad bug) :(

Have you tried trunk yet, or if you wait, Beta 3...
and it ends here.
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

EvilGuru wrote: No such thing as packet loss :)

We use TCP which guarantees that all packets will arrive and arrive in order. Therefore any problems with the netcode are not due to packet loss.

1.10, however, used UDP. This was highly susceptible to packet loss. The advantage was slightly lower response times (so lower pings).

Regards, Freddie.
Why do my games suddenly end and the computers stop communicating then.

I thought it was just because of missing packets... my connections reliable otherwise
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Ursa wrote: Why do my games suddenly end and the computers stop communicating then.

I thought it was just because of missing packets... my connections reliable otherwise
What do you mean by "games suddenly end and the computers stop communicating" ?

It locks up? It drops connection?

Need some details.
and it ends here.
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

Both players are told they've won, and their enemies base blows up (from their prespectives)