The proper way to add new tilesets into the game

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

The proper way to add new tilesets into the game

Post by MIH-XTC »

I need to add tilesets to the game and there's 2 ways to do this. Make a completely new set - tertilesc4hw which requires modifying source and this is a little bit beyond my scope.

The other way is to simply append the tiles to an existing set but I can't get them imported into FlaMe. FlaMe doesn't see the new tiles, presumably because the .ttp file needs regeneration or something.

In the screenshot below it shows tiles 80+ not showing in FlaMe for the Urban tile set and I added many tiles after 80+

I have no problems replacing existing tilesets (that's how I made custom maps before) but I could never figure out how to get additional tiles to appear correctly in FlaMe. Anyone know how to solve this?

I'll make a custom campaign 4 with various new tilesets if someone can figure out the best way of adding new tilesets. I already have the tilesets, I just need to figure out if we should make a tertilesc4hw or append to existing. Are there any limits on the number of tiles per set? What if Arizona had 200 tiles? What are the implications.

EDIT: I got the tiles to appear correctly up to 95 but I don't understand where this 95 limit is defined. It's not in the .radar file or .ttp. So where is it?
Attachments
test_data.zip
Urban tileset containing 126 tiles
(2 MiB) Downloaded 286 times
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: The proper way to add new tilesets into the game

Post by Berg »

It might be hard coded in flame?
I can add new textures to warzone without code change.
I also think you might be better to look at a new tile set maybe it can be added easier then adding more tiles to existing tile sets.
/data/base/tileset see the text files
/data/base/wrf see vidmem#.wrf
just some places to look for adding textures
Fore structure texture the wrf defines was deleted by per a long time back now each texture is define in the pie files.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

I think this limit is hardcoded in FlaME. I use 1.28. I've long sought to figure out this limit because I can't make additional tilesets without it. I can only replace existing tiles but not add them.

Adding a new tileset is not as easy as just creating a tertilesc4hw folder. A search of "tertilesc3hw" shows that it's referenced in map.cpp and qtscript so it requires recompiling. Also there is only 3 options in FlaMe for texture types, arizona, rocky and urban. There wouldn't even be a way to select a 4th tileset in Flame.

But does anyone know what is the preferred method of adding a new tileset? Add more tiles to an existing set or create a tertilesc4hw? I don't know the performance and memory implications so I don't know which is preferred. I'd much rather just append to existing tilesets, seems like a lot less hassle.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I'm pretty sure i managed to make use of the black tiles successfully on some of my map-mods, eg. Berg's wide roads on Academy and Inversion. See also the wiki.

As for tileset4, i guess i'd rather have someone finish my now-old work on the "new map format" (plan and an unfinished attempt on implementation in #4291).
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

NoQ wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 19:46 I'm pretty sure i managed to make use of the black tiles successfully on some of my map-mods, eg. Berg's wide roads on Academy and Inversion. See also the wiki.

As for tileset4, i guess i'd rather have someone finish my now-old work on the "new map format" (plan and an unfinished attempt on implementation in #4291).
Unfortunately those maps you linked only go up to tiles 93. FlaMe has a limit of 95 (see my screenshot). :( :augh:

This is a blocker for making a new campaign/tile set until someone knows how to load more than 95 tiles in FlaMe.

I have attached a sample tileset in the OP containing 120 tiles if anyone wants to try :)

I'm not interested in working on new map stuff so I guess we'll leave this discussion here.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Apparently it's read from the .ttp files? Don't know, Flame is a bewildering piece of work, nor do I know Visual Basic (or want to). I'd try sharpflame if only it had a installer still on github.

At worst you'll have to release the new campaign as an addendum mod to your EB-mod.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Cant you have the new campaign without mods?
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Is there any way to rename a folder and reload a mod from within a WZ script?

We could have tileset folders 4, 5, 6, 7 etc... and then have a function that renames/swaps tilesets 1-3 with some other set.

From within a campaign script we could call swapTileset(existing, new)

swapTileset(1,5);

or maybe just activeTilesets(1,5,3);

I'll leave the idea here.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Heh, I was thinking something similar but it was very convoluted. Berg was right though and it's not as hard as we thought. One should be able to create a campaign 4 by doing these steps:

- Add tertilesc4hw- folders, and radar file, into the base/texpages directory.
- Create a vidmem4.wrf and cam4.wrf file in the wrf directory.
- Append more data into gamedesc.lev.
- Make a new campaign JSON file in base/campaigns.
- Create new files for base/tileset.
- Account for the new tileset in mapLoadGroundTypes() and init_tileNames() and define a new tileset name in map.cpp (which rules.js will then need to be updated for).

The result is below (I copied gamma-1 and note the mission name: cam-4a). Then it should be a matter of adding new data into a wrf/camX. I'd create a small test map first if you want to attempt this.

cam4test.jpeg
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 07:08 Berg was right though and it's not as hard as we thought.
I like being right.
I do note you have not defined the edge tiles also make sure you have the text file for edge tiles.
See you cliff tiles Sharpe edges
Well done Berserk Cyborg.