The Gamma 9 Struggle and VTOL Strike Turrets

For porting of the campaign to javascript discussions
Blujay777
Greenhorn

The Gamma 9 Struggle and VTOL Strike Turrets

Post by Blujay777 »

Okay, if I'm just wimping out because I can't beat it, tell me now. Otherwise, it might be a bug error.

I've been working on Gamma 9 for almost a week now, and I keep running into the same unavoidable and almost impossible problem: the moment I get detected by a VTOL Strike turret, EVERY SINGLE STINKIN' NUCLEAR WARHEAD EAST OF NEVADA BLOWS UP MY TROOPS FASTER THAN A SNAP FROM THE INFINITY GAUNTLET! (That's a dramatic way of saying that every that every time a VTOL Strike Turret detects me, every battery on the map shoots at my position and wipes out half my units with no way of being able to fight back, regardless of how armored they are or how many repair units I have to heal them). Are VTOL Strike Turrets are supposed to do that? I always thought they were only supposed to coordinate VTOL attacks, as the name implies? If not, the name should be changed to a "Gamma Sensor" or a "Assault Sensor" so it's less misleading, that way the game mechanic of coordinating both artillery and VTOL attacks still works and the player knows it.

Sorry, just frustrated because I've been working on this for a VERY long time, and I'm going crazy because I'm running out of strategies. CB Turrets don't work because THEY have CB's as well. Using my own sensors is very difficult as I feel like there's no way to keep up with building that many sensors while trying to eliminate their sensors while being bombarded by both massive amounts of VTOL attacks and artillery strikes, as well as the massive influx of cyborgs and standard tanks that assault the LZ nonstop. I mean, I MIGHT be able to pull it off if I had more than 50000 power... but even that might not work.

So, like I said, it might be a bug with the VTOL Strike Turret. Otherwise, I'm wimping out because I can't find a way to properly beat the game.

Someone please help. Am I going crazy and just need to rethink my strategy? Or is there a bug that needs fixing?

- Blujay
Last edited by Blujay777 on 13 Jun 2019, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: The Gamma 9 Struggle and VTOL Strike Turrets

Post by Forgon »

Could you attach a savegame or describe your problem in greater detail?

Countless campaign bugs have been fixed in version 3.3.0 Beta 1.
Please try this release if you don't have it installed.
Blujay777
Greenhorn

Post by Blujay777 »

Check out edited post. I accidentally posted too early!

It might be my version, I'll try that out. Thank you!
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

You can find some tips on beating Gamma 9 in this forum thread.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Yes, for whatever reason, VTOL Strike sensors also act as a longer ranged sensor (and calls in artillery). It's a pretty good trick to know about. If that does get changed someday, then we need to make sure the Beta/Gamma maps adapt (placed sensor towers and AI factory templates) which encouraged their use like this. #1588 first reported this, but it seems few cared. That or it's an actual design decision as some of the campaign maps would imply.

Forgon already linked to my tips which helped someone else beat this mission. In short, the most important thing to do is to survive the first couple assaults of artillery and units (especially those scourge VTOLs) and keep building CB towers and long ranged artillery until Nexus runs out of archangel missile artillery.

Edit: Don't know what version you were using but it's likely saves might not be stable, or work, if jumping from 3.2 -> 3.3.
Blujay777
Greenhorn

Post by Blujay777 »

Ugh, that's frustrating! Thank you for your help -- I'll keep chipping away at it.

- Blujay
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

wait, someone found a use for the VTOL strike turret???

They've never been used in the history of WZ.

As far as I know, they don't provide any additional benefits from controlling VTOL's manually. In fact, they are vastly inferior to controlling things manually.

Why or how would anyone use a VTOL strike turret? Normally people select all VTOL's and then click on the target. Nobody selects a VTOL strike droid and attacks with that. Especially because all the VTOL's only attack one target whereas with manual control they can shoot on sight anything in their path.

They should never be placed in a base either because then your VTOL's fly away without your control. If your enemy has AA droids outside of the base, they can easily bait all your VTOL's without your control. The VTOL strike turret is a major liability that will get all of your VTOL's killed.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

MIH-XTC wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 14:13 wait, someone found a use for the VTOL strike turret???

The campaign AI uses them, just not in the sense of controlling VTOLs. It actually uses them as a regular sensor, and becuase it has a longer range that the plain sensor, it can see you before you can see it. The AI player will need artillery to make use of them though.

Once you reach Gamma-9 you'll understand how powerful the campaign archangels are and, paired with the AI's mobile VTOL strike units, will reveal a deadly combination never seen anywhere else in Warzone. To the point a lot of times the first volley gives the bot the win or makes the player reload a save if they are poorly prepared.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 17:56
MIH-XTC wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 14:13 wait, someone found a use for the VTOL strike turret???

The campaign AI uses them, just not in the sense of controlling VTOLs. It actually uses them as a regular sensor, and becuase it has a longer range that the plain sensor, it can see you before you can see it. The AI player will need artillery to make use of them though.

Once you reach Gamma-9 you'll understand how powerful the campaign archangels are and, paired with the AI's mobile VTOL strike units, will reveal a deadly combination never seen anywhere else in Warzone. To the point a lot of times the first volley gives the bot the win or makes the player reload a save if they are poorly prepared.
Admittedly I've never played Gamma so I don't know but I will soon. I'll check it out when I get there. I'm going to start revising the campaign in chronological order starting with Alpha using EB mod stats and ultimate scavengers.

It would be ideal to have the AI use VTOL strike turrets (and all turrets for that matter) but it's better to have the VTOL's shoot on sight and then have a trigger to periodically move towards the human's HQ. I forget the DORDER to have VTOLs shoot on sight but it's one of the secondary orders + DORDER_SCOUT (or patrol? I forget the DORDERs) movement gets SoS behavior. That's a much better way of controlling VTOLs until the VTOL strike turret can offer some kind of advantage. Try to compare the two methods to see which delivers a more lethal blow. This is especially true for bombs because the bombs will cover a larger area whereas with the strike turret all the bombs will land in the same spot.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

MIH-XTC wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 18:46
Berserk Cyborg wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 17:56 The campaign AI uses them, just not in the sense of controlling VTOLs. It actually uses them as a regular sensor, and becuase it has a longer range that the plain sensor, it can see you before you can see it. The AI player will need artillery to make use of them though.

Admittedly I've never played Gamma so I don't know but I will soon. I'll check it out when I get there. I'm going to start revising the campaign in chronological order starting with Alpha using EB mod stats and ultimate scavengers.
So are you making a custom campaign or testing it with the regular campaign?
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

WZ2100ModsFAn wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 19:16
I'll make a custom campaign but I just found out moments ago that FlaMe still uses .txt/.csv stats, not .json so custom campaign is not possible until that's fixed.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

MIH-XTC wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 19:21
WZ2100ModsFAn wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 19:16
I'll make a custom campaign but I just found out moments ago that FlaMe still uses .txt/.csv stats, not .json so custom campaign is not possible until that's fixed.
Good news is you can convert csv to json.
The bad is that it will still be incompatible cause of unsupported code for 3.3
So you'll have extra code to remove to make it work.
https://www.csvjson.com/csv2json
this means if the code is not removed the game is going to crash.