Blue Building Beam

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Swagmaster Bandit
Greenhorn

Blue Building Beam

Post by Swagmaster Bandit »

I'm completely new to modding Warzone 2100, and I quickly just wanted to know if there is any way to remove the Blue Building Beam that the truck make when building/repairing stuff, it triggers seizures in my friend. No idea how to do it itself, as we will be playing Ultimate Scavenger mod this weekend.

Thanks since now.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Re: Blue Building Beam

Post by Cyp »

If you compile the game yourself, then maybe by removing the contents of renderConstructionEffect() in src/effects.cpp. Haven't tested, so not completely sure it's the right function.
Swagmaster Bandit
Greenhorn

Yeah, I have no idea how to do absolutely none of that, I'm literaly just trying to remove the building beam just so that my friend can get a taste of Warzone 2100 since he loves RTS games. How would I compile the game myself even? No clue how I would do that. Wish there was just an option to disable that thing. :p
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

My equally random guess is addConstructionLine(). It mentions beam colors.
Swagmaster Bandit
Greenhorn

Apologies, but you're speaking greek with me there. I have no clue how to compile stuff. I may even be able to deal with whatever you guys are talking, but I don't even know how to start, trying to get it done for this weekend. Still, thanks for this info.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

NoQ wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 21:15 My equally random guess is addConstructionLine(). It mentions beam colors.
Tried both. Commenting this one out removed the beam. Not sure what renderConstructionEffect() does since I don't see any difference with or without it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Swagmaster Bandit wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 21:22 Apologies, but you're speaking greek with me there. I have no clue how to compile stuff. I may even be able to deal with whatever you guys are talking, but I don't even know how to start, trying to get it done for this weekend. Still, thanks for this info.
What we're saying is "Unfortunately, this cannot be done by modifying game data via mods. You need to modify the game itself, i.e., a program, i.e., an executable, i.e. do programming, in order to change the beam." This isn't hard but requires some effort if you didn't do this sort of stuff before. The official guide is at http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/CompileGuide

Somebody may find time to implement disabling the beam as an accessibility option or expose the beam to mods, but you'd have to wait for that. I also wonder if our new buildbots are capable of releasing modified game versions from branches easily enough to encourage somebody to try this out.
xShadow421x
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xShadow421x »

As long as you're playing a relatively new version of Warzone (anything after 3.1.5), the beam was given editable hexadecimal color data which you can see in data/base/palette.txt.
As far as I can tell, the Alpha channel didn't seem to have any effect on it's opacity, but setting the RGB channels to zero basically rendered it as invisible.
So as an easier solution if it works for you, just do that for both the blue-constructor beam AND the red-demolish beam, then pack that file as a mod for you & your friend.
ImageImageImageImage
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Swagmaster Bandit wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 21:22 Apologies, but you're speaking greek with me there. I have no clue how to compile stuff. I may even be able to deal with whatever you guys are talking, but I don't even know how to start, trying to get it done for this weekend. Still, thanks for this info.
Bit late for that weekend, but maybe it will work better now, if trying a recent build (or beta2 if/when that comes out). At least, it shouldn't be flickering at 60 Hz anymore.

I can't find Windows builds that used to be at http://buildbot.wz2100.net/files/CI/master/ but maybe someone else knows where they went.

Edit: Think it's at https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Warzone ... /artifacts
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

This has given me a random idea, Building Beam matching to the player colour?