An issue with including URL's into the text

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

An issue with including URL's into the text

Post by alfred007 »

In my post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&p=143573#p143561 I included two links using the form [ url=link]text... (an unnecessary space is included to show the form)
When I'm logged in these two links are working correctly but for other users, they are misleading.

The two posts they are should link to are the following:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&start=15#p143417
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&start=15#p143423

Edit: I tested the links and they are all misleading
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Re: An issue with including URL's into the text

Post by alfred007 »

It's strange. The first link of my post above is leading to the right post, the other two not. I will check some links from other users, maybe it's just a problem with these two posts.

Edit: Now I checked some other links from other users and they are all working correctly. I have no idea what's going on.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

there is also an issue when doing quotes, the spacing at the top of the quote tag is missing so you need to do a double line brake if you don't this is what happens
test
even though i hit return to insert a line brake between the end of the first paragraph and the start of the quotation when this is actually posted the line brake is missing my guess is that that you added bottom margin but forgot to add the same amount of top margin

here is a screen capture of what this post should look like

untitled.PNG

Note the missing line brake between the end of the first paragraph and the top of the quote, the same issue occurs when you insert an image in line only this time i have to add a double line brake on the top and the bottom before a line brake will actually be rendered when the message is posted.

I know this is a really minor and pernickety detail but it is kind of irritating so I'd appreciate if someone could sort it out.

Oh one other thing when i come to the forum from the main page (https://wz2100.net/) it sends me to

http://forums.wz2100.net/

when it should be sending me to

https://forums.wz2100.net/

so someone needs to correct the link and they need to set a redirect so if the person tried to go to the none encrypted login page they will automagically be redirected to the encrypted version.

Login pages should always be encrypted !!! and it should never be possible for a visitor to get to a none encrypted login page.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

alfred007 wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 18:01 In my post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&p=143573#p143561 I included two links using the form [ url=link]text... (an unnecessary space is included to show the form)
When I'm logged in these two links are working correctly but for other users, they are misleading.

The two posts they are should link to are the following:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&start=15#p143417
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&start=15#p143423

Edit: I tested the links and they are all misleading
That isn't how you specify a specify post... For example, for your second post in this thread, I would do:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15094#p143576

or click me

So, seems it is working fine?

As for the redirects, that is correct, it is HTTP, not HTTPS, until we get a wildcard certificate which is supposed to be sometime in 2019, don't know when.

For the spacing stuff, no idea, could be theme related or not.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

@vexed

What I did was copying the URL with the right mouse menu and including it into the post. As long as I was logged in the link was working correctly. But not after I logged out. Then it was misleading. If I want to check what went wrong I would have to create a lot of useless posts and test the links if they are still not working after I logged out. That makes no sense in my eyes. I saw that links from other users are working so I think the problem is somewhere on my side but I don't know where. We'll see when I again try to include an URL into the test what happens.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

As for the redirects, that is correct, it is HTTP, not HTTPS, until we get a wildcard certificate which is supposed to be sometime in 2019, don't know when.
i assume that the forum is running on Apache, if so why not just force https there are various ways to do it for example using .htaccess or via a slightly more complicated method like mod_rewrite.