Trouble compiling game on MacOSX

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
TSCxNightmare
Greenhorn

Trouble compiling game on MacOSX

Post by TSCxNightmare »

Ive been warzone player for years and appreciate everything the community does to keep it running. a little over a year ago i switched to a mac computer and lost the ability to download the game despite its claims to being compatible. however recently i found these installation instructions and figured id try to instal the game once again.

http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/CompileGuideMac/3.2

first i downloaded the files from the website which dowloaded as a .tar.xz file. i used the Unarchiver app to convert it into usable files.
I then installed Macports and Xcode as the page instructs and ran all the required script commands "sudo port install gettext" and "sudo port install asciidoc"
Finally i installed BasicTeX from the MacTex package to complete all the required prerequisites

Its now when it becomes time to build the game that i run into problems.
the first step is "cd into the macosx folder" which confused me because there is no "cd" file in the source files i downloaded and certainly not in the macosxfolder. my misunderstanding of this step may be the whole problem because i don't know what it wants. but then the second step is to run the command
"xcodebuild -project Warzone.xcodeproj -target Warzone -configuration Release"

however upon doing so i receive the error that Warzone.xcodeproj doesn't exist. but it does... it installed as part of the file i downloaded from the website and i can see it and access it. as shown in the attached image.

the other option provided is to open the Xcode project and build the warzone scheme. but every time i attempt this Xcode simply says "build failed"

i know no one on the warzone2100 team directly uses a mac. but could anyone who has successfully set up the game tell me what I'm doing wrong? ive tried everything i can think of and would really enjoy getting back into the game.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 9.27.30 PM.png
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Trouble compiling game on MacOSX

Post by Forgon »

TSCxNightmare wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 05:32 [...] however recently i found these installation instructions and figured id try to instal the game once again.

http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/CompileGuideMac/3.2 [...]
Do not install version 3.2, which is an infamously poor release.
Instead, I highly recommend that you play our latest developer version.
Among its advantages are improved MacOS builds, which are explained in the file "./macosx/README.md".
TSCxNightmare wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 05:32 Its now when it becomes time to build the game that i run into problems.
the first step is "cd into the macosx folder" which confused me because there is no "cd" file in the source files i downloaded and certainly not in the macosxfolder. [...]
You misunderstand what "cd" refers to. It is a command which can be executed in a terminal to change the working directory, and not a file inside our source code directories.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

If you're trying to compile 3.2.x for macOS, I'm afraid it will not work. The 3.2.x versions were broken on macOS.

As Forgon mentioned, the latest development builds have been fixed (and the upcoming 3.3.0 release will support macOS again).
TSCxNightmare
Greenhorn

Post by TSCxNightmare »

thank you so much! the link you provided worked so much better! im not sure why it downloaded 3.2 when i downloaded the game but i appreciate you catching that.
TSCxNightmare
Greenhorn

Post by TSCxNightmare »

update: i was able to download the developer version of the game without issue. after playing a bit of the campaign to remember all the controls i decided to try my hand at multiplayer again. However it tells me that my game mode isn't supported and that i need to download version 3.2.3. am i correct in assuming that this means i can not play multiplayer on MacOSX right now and that i will have to wait until version 3.3.0 is released?
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

TSCxNightmare wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 05:58 update: i was able to download the developer version of the game without issue. after playing a bit of the campaign to remember all the controls i decided to try my hand at multiplayer again. However it tells me that my game mode isn't supported and that i need to download version 3.2.3. am i correct in assuming that this means i can not play multiplayer on MacOSX right now and that i will have to wait until version 3.3.0 is released?
The message you received is wrong and has been reported as a bug (read ticket #4721 for more information).

You can play multiplayer games with developer versions.
But there are very few people who do so (statistics are available here), so that it is difficult to find someone to play with.
We have organized some online games to test developer versions in this thread, yet they remain rare events.

Therefore, you will likely have to wait until version 3.3.0 is released before you can play online regularly.