Weird bug.

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Bastet
Greenhorn

Weird bug.

Post by Bastet »

Hey,

Has anyone else had this issue? It's happened with every single play through I've tried and happens with both the 3.2.3 and master builds.

Basically, when I start the (sixth I think) alpha mission to destroy The New Paradigm in the eastern zones, a unit ALWAYS randomly appears in the very bottom right hand corner. It shows physically and on the map. The point in question is just off the map and isn't accessible.

I am assuming it's a vehicle I sent for recycling which might have gotten stuck when I left the zone to do the first few recon and collect missions.

Has it already been reported or fixed?

Attachments
Weird.jpg
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Re: Weird bug.

Post by moltengear »

Because it's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature. :D
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Doesn't look like a bug truck, looks like a viper truck.

Come to think of it, maybe a lot of tickets could be closed that way as not-a-bug.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

I think it's because the truck is at the edge of the map when it isn't supposed to.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Please bring this to the campaign testing thread.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Fairly certain this was fixed and works in master. Happened if the player went on an away mission, manufactured units, and reloaded a save on that same away mission. Such units are given a special invalid coordinate (INVALID_XY) which is then checked for when the mission is won. Only, loading a save would clip them back to a valid coordinate (which would be the maximum value possible: SE corner).

You can reliably use this master for the mean time try and reproduce it. And if you do then drop a save into the thread NoQ linked above.
Bastet
Greenhorn

Post by Bastet »

Thanks for the replies. I'll go to that thread ^^.

I can't use the master version anymore unfortunately. I was using it but every time (on multiple different games) I got to about the six mission it crashed upon loading any and all save files. Happened a few times. That doesn't happen with 3.2.3, only the master version.

I am however using a very cheap £200 2-in-1 laptop tablet to play because I can't seem to find a resolution that doesn't look either ridiculously stretched or that doesn't cut off part of the screen when using my dedicated gaming PC - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14783&p=142466#p142466

I thought perhaps the crashes were caused by the low specs but the 3.2.3 version runs fine apart from not being able to find a resolution that isn't screwed up (apart from 800 x 600 the only one that works and looks ok) and apart from the random lost unit bug from this thread.

I noticed some differences in the master version that I preferred but unfortunately it just won't stop crashing.

I noticed that some audio files or dialogues were included in the original game and master version but which are excluded from 3.2.3 and earlier versions for reasons unknown. One example off the top of my head is when you first start alpha mission 1 and you move east out of your base, the Project lady says 'incoming intelligence report' before a briefing commences about the scavengers. In 3.2.3 the briefing just commences without the intro. Little things like that make me smile. Any idea why they're not in 3.2.3? In this situation I prefer the master version.

I also noticed that in the master version if you build a factory you can produce units immediately. However, in 3.2.3 you need to build a HQ before any units can be built even if you built the factories first. Personally, it makes more sense to me to NEED a HQ before you can do anything else. So in that respect I prefer 3.2.3.

The two have differences, positives and negatives so I like them equally #torn lol.
Last edited by Bastet on 15 Aug 2018, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Bastet
Greenhorn

Post by Bastet »

Also Berserk Cyborg, unfortunately it happened with my master copy last week. Because of the aforementioned crashes I uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled a few times as a troubleshooting step for the load crashes :(
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Bastet wrote:I was using it but every time (on multiple different games) I got to about the six mission it crashed upon loading any and all save files.
Because of all the changes that were made in the current master version you can't load any saved games from 3.2.3. Start a new game with the master version and you will see that you can reload your saves made with master.
Bastet wrote:I also noticed that in the master version if you build a factory you can produce units immediately. However, in 3.2.3 you need to build a HQ before any units can be built even if you built the factories first. Personally, it makes more sense to me to NEED a HQ before you can do anything else. So in that respect I prefer 3.2.3.
That is intended. An HQ is necessary to design new units in the design menu. As long as you have no HQ you will be not able to design any new units. But the mg viper tank and the viper truck are already designed so it makes sense that you can produce units immediately after you build a factory.
Bastet
Greenhorn

Post by Bastet »

Sorry I didn't explain it properly. I couldn't load master version saves in the master version game if I saved it and tried to reload after a break. I kept the two versions separate at all times.

If it's intended to require the HQ in the master version, why is it not in 3.2.3? :-P
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

If it's intended to require the HQ in the master version, why is it not in 3.2.3?
Because it's a regression in 3.2. The original game, as well as all previous versions, did require HQ for designing.

This game rule is in fact pretty weird, but most people seem to agree that it's kinda good to keep because otherwise HQ becomes almost useless and its role needs to be re-designed.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Bastet wrote:Sorry I didn't explain it properly. I couldn't load master version saves in the master version game if I saved it and tried to reload after a break. I kept the two versions separate at all times.
In this case, you run into the bug of ticket #4815. If the patch of pastdue works properly the patch will be implemented into the master version and your problems should be solved.
Bastet
Greenhorn

Post by Bastet »

Tyvm :).