Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Re: Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Post by Bethrezen »

Why don't you upgrade?
Short answer money, i just don't have like £200 to get a new copy of windows, not to mention the fact that i don't really trust windows 10 or Microsofts telemetry BS which as far as I'm concerned is spyware I know that this is more rumor then fact at this point but the fact that microsoft have gone to such lengths to stop people removing it, blocking it or turning it off and given that everything is encrypted so that people can't see what data they are actually collecting makes me highly suspicious then of course you have those licence terms all of which is enough for me to give windows 10 the boot because I refuse to be spied on.

windows 8 is a crap and is clearly designed for mobile computing and not desktop computers, Vista is a resources hog and is widely regarded as one of the worst OSs that Microsoft ever made

which only really leaves windows 7 as an alternative the problem there is that windows 7 will be coming to the end of support shortly as well according to wikipedia extended support for windows 7 will end on January 14, 2020 making a windows 7 upgrade a waste of money.

as for linux I tried that before and was never able to find a distro I like not to mention the fact that all my software is for xp or older and wont run on linux I know that I could run my software through wine but that that just adds a lot of messing about and frankly software never runs as well in emulation as they do in the native environment they where designed for.

I've been keeping my eye on ReactOS which looks promising but to the best of my knowledge that's not really in a usable state at the moment its getting better all the time but so far as I'm aware its still in beta
I moved it back recently. Of course, that means a selected unit will have the leftmost part of the console text obscured again.
Can you not move the console down or just make its width narrower so that it will fit in-between the clock and the call reinforcements button.
masaki11
New user

Post by masaki11 »

Error occurred. I need to save frequently. But it is a fun game.  thanks.
When I played this game for the first time in a while, I enjoyed it because I almost forgot the scenario.

Alpha 9: 
warzone2100-master-20180214-001803-98dd559.exe
Windows7_64bit
Alpha9
Alpha9
20180215_Warzone2100.RPT
RPT file
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

masaki11 wrote:Error occurred. I need to save frequently. But it is a fun game.  thanks.
When I played this game for the first time in a while, I enjoyed it because I almost forgot the scenario.
Ah, yet another visibility issue. Do you have a savegame that I can use to reproduce the crash?
Quenton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Quenton »

Per wrote:I'm not sure where that requirement crept in, but I see that Qt stopped supporting XP in version 5.7 (https://wiki.qt.io/PlatformSupport), and we are now using 5.10. Microsoft stopped supporting XP in 2014 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... of-support), including security updates, and the software libraries that we rely on are now dropping XP support, just like everyone else these days. It would be increasingly difficult for us to retain support for XP. Why don't you upgrade?
why not downgrade QT to 5.7 then?
Bethrezen is one of the main testers of this thread and shutting them out is silly
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Quenton wrote:why not downgrade QT to 5.7 then?
Downgrading QT to 5.7 may not be sufficient (it isn't officially compatible with Windows XP, although supposed re-compilation workarounds - for 5.7.1 at least - exist). QT 5.6.x is the last release that officially supports Windows XP.

In any case, I've opened a ticket (#4735) to explore the options here. The situation is more complicated because buildbot uses mxe to cross-compile for Windows, so if you find any other possibilities for how to compile mxe with a fixed (earlier) version of QT, please add them to that ticket.
masaki11
New user

Post by masaki11 »

Per wrote:
masaki11 wrote:Error occurred. I need to save frequently. But it is a fun game.  thanks.
Ah, yet another visibility issue. Do you have a savegame that I can use to reproduce the crash?
I did not save it from 005 (Alpha 8 ) and proceeded by preparing equipment on Alpha 9.
And it happened when I go little by little with useless play.
I restarted from 005 and finished Alpha 8.
After that, 006 was saved just before transportation after Alpha 9 preparation.
It worked fine from 006.  ARmod_beta1.wz was put in later than 006.
Since that MOD occasionally gives an error, it starts without it.
Attachments
005_006.zip
Campaign Alpha8-9 saved files
(167.44 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Pushed 8ff55033187ca7fd413756040a576bc5f576b01d and 749af07f8c4b4b093d03d136370cb64ceef7773a to hopefully stop fpath errors in Beta/Gamma when the AI uses VTOLs.

308bccdfc3352550b22310b754133fc65bd2074f for some minor map changes to cam2-8.

Specifically, this tile which was rotated wrong:
tile.JPG
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Berserk Cyborg, could you investigate ticket #3772?
Quenton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Quenton »

pastdue wrote:
Quenton wrote:why not downgrade QT to 5.7 then?
Downgrading QT to 5.7 may not be sufficient (it isn't officially compatible with Windows XP, although supposed re-compilation workarounds - for 5.7.1 at least - exist). QT 5.6.x is the last release that officially supports Windows XP.

In any case, I've opened a ticket (#4735) to explore the options here. The situation is more complicated because buildbot uses mxe to cross-compile for Windows, so if you find any other possibilities for how to compile mxe with a fixed (earlier) version of QT, please add them to that ticket.
Downgrade to 5.6 then.
I don't see why a newer version of qt is needed if 5.6 worked?
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Quenton wrote:Downgrade to 5.6 then.
- The Windows builds are currently cross-compiled on a Linux server.
- To do this requires a build toolchain called "mxe", which I linked to in my post above.
- That build toolchain needed to be updated for non-QT reasons, and the new version of that toolchain includes a newer version of QT.
- We can't simply downgrade the whole mxe toolchain to the prior (very old) version of mxe we were using (which includes an older version of QT), because we need updated non-QT components in the new toolchain.
- We instead have to create a workaround so we can use the new mxe toolchain, but with an old version of QT. This is not supported out-of-the-box, so it requires work (and solving various problems).

So yes, on a high level we need to use an older version of QT to enable Windows XP support. But it's not simple, and we don't know exactly *how* to do it yet with the new version of mxe (which we need).
Quenton
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Quenton »

pastdue wrote:
Quenton wrote:Downgrade to 5.6 then.
- The Windows builds are currently cross-compiled on a Linux server.
- To do this requires a build toolchain called "mxe", which I linked to in my post above.
- That build toolchain needed to be updated for non-QT reasons, and the new version of that toolchain includes a newer version of QT.
- We can't simply downgrade the whole mxe toolchain to the prior (very old) version of mxe we were using (which includes an older version of QT), because we need updated non-QT components in the new toolchain.
- We instead have to create a workaround so we can use the new mxe toolchain, but with an old version of QT. This is not supported out-of-the-box, so it requires work (and solving various problems).

So yes, on a high level we need to use an older version of QT to enable Windows XP support. But it's not simple, and we don't know exactly *how* to do it yet with the new version of mxe (which we need).
use this https://github.com/mxe/mxe/blob/master/ ... de-install and https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/1980
Freezing Qt5 version

This plugin demonstrates freezing a version of Qt5 in a local plugin, possibly for Win XP support (see #1827, #1734). It's possible to simply stay on a git checkout, but then other toolchain features are also frozen. This example uses 5.7.1, but 5.6 is an LTS release and probably a better option.

N.B. This is unsupported and exists solely as an example of how one might maintain a local version.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

The trac ticket I linked earlier (#4735) already mentions this.

Please contribute any suggestions or tips to that ticket. Especially ideal is if you've successfully built the latest mxe using that plugin on Linux, any modifications you had to make, and whether you were then able to successfully cross-compile Warzone for Windows and run it on Windows XP. Thanks!
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Forgon wrote:Berserk Cyborg, could you investigate ticket #3772?
It's only a very steep hill. I smoothed the tiles around that one so it goes from a ~70 degree slope to one that is ~48 at the most.

Start Beta and enter into chat "ascend sub-2-8s" and then go offworld.
Edit: In 8cc67d0c5ed0ed4b38d582fbb2a64abd3f95a2b6.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I made the AI group tactics avoid getting distracted by player objects that are on hills (when they are moving towards something else) or whatever when they are passing by some area. Such as the ones in the final home base missions in Gamma.

Also, I found unit distribution for the AI transporter in Beta 1 to be... weird. I have it split between a group consisting of cyborgs/Panther heavy machine-guns, and a more tougher load of medium-heavy cannons with bombards and a sensor. Previously, it was all a mix of everything.
Updated-Campaign.wz
Not sure what to do with the below yet so I will document this for the moment:

Droids that must rotate (indirect) to attack will move and shuffle towards targets constantly when given orders (does not matter if it is attacking or scouting) despite having a valid target to attack before the order. This mostly affects scavenger people or the mortar line of weapon simply because they need to get closer than the more powerful variants, in the case of the latter. The former eventually becomes useless because they can't seem to hit a still target within several tiles.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

could this be caused by the fact that say mortars for example are trying to move and fire at the same time ?

if it is then you could split that in to a 2 step procedure so when a valid target is given check range if target is to far away move in to range then commence firing if target is already in range then simply open fire this is how artillery usually works in other games