We've tried this. Turns out there is no "we" in "branches".Lord_Kane wrote:No offense, but can we implement and test a new accuracy system in a new branch maybe after this release?
Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
You bring up a good point - is short range accuracy actually needed.Per wrote: But the most important question is - does short range accuracy actually add anything useful to the game?
As long as accuracy changes with the distance of the target then that should be all that matters - short hit is not needed for that, only long hit. Although I don't think anyone would even notice if accuracy mechanics were changed. I have never experimented with long/short hit values because it's a minor detail compared to other outstanding balance issues. Also because it's a lot of work to implement for little return. It's best to remove short hit for now.
On a different note, it's hard for me to let go of the short/medium/long range options on the unit menu. I want to try to make them worthwhile but I'm not sure that creating "accuracy profiles" for the weapon lines makes sense because IRL accuracy deceases with range on all weapons (physics). No such weapon becomes more accurate at longer ranges. Therefore it's not an opportunity to strategically distinguish the weapon lines but rather just another trivial step needed to implement them. Attempting to get closer to your opponent as a strategy has a cancelling effect because it equally benefits your opponent...
I can't think of a use case where I would want to get closer to my opponent for the sake of reaping accuracy benefits.
There would have to be big differences in long/short hit values to make short range worth pursuing but that means there is low accuracy at long range and it's too much time to balance all of that.
That's good to know, I wondered if wz worked like that or not. I thought that it did based on observations but wasn't sure.Per wrote: Keep in mind that in the original game you only had the dice roll accuracy. We also have hit box intersection, meaning you can literally dodge bullets by moving around and hit stuff that accidentally gets in the way.
To test accuracy in general, I would use a light cannon vs a hardpoint at varying distances and count the number of misses and hits over a minute time interval.Lord_Kane wrote:No offense, but can we implement and test a new accuracy system in a new branch maybe after this release?
To do this,
1. I would go to /stats/structures.json and make some random hardpoint have many HP's (say 50,000)
2. Then go to weapons.json and set light cannon max range to 10 and note the long hit value.
3. Then go into game and count how many times light cannon fires in 1 minute (we'll just guess 28)
4. Note how much damage light cannon does to hardpoint (How many HP's does it remove per hit)
5. Record how many HP's are missing from the hardpoint after 1 minute of attacking from light cannon. Divide missing hp's by light cannon dmg to determine number of hits and misses.
6. Repeat step 5 at varying ranges to see how accuracy changes with distance.
bug or something: units dont do anything if enemy's range longer than yours. they just stay and receive damage, like nothing happens.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !
Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Done in 64c1b8cd4b2ea1101cfa23fcd6012c57becf312a. I also made the command turrets depend on a command relay being built.Per wrote:Ah, the great HQ discussion. Now that is a trip down memory lane (and not a pleasant one). I had totally forgotten about all that. Long story short: It went missing somewhere during the CSV -> INI -> JSON conversions and the back and forth HQ changes we did before 3.1 was released. It does not seem to have been terribly missed? There is a ticket, but it seems to have been mistakenly closed: #3437
Until someone volunteers to re-implement removed unit orders in time for the upcoming release, such discussion does not belong here, and posts on that topic have been moved to the relevant thread instead.
Alright fair enough.Per wrote:Until someone volunteers to re-implement removed unit orders in time for the upcoming release, such discussion does not belong here, and posts on that topic have been moved to the relevant thread instead.
I already made this point and Berserk Cyborg made some adjustments to campaign mode to make units that get hit react, its not brilliant and the reaction is still a bit slow but at least they do seem to react now so its a step in the right direction, not sure how this affects multiplayer haven't tested that.bug or something: units dont do anything if enemy's range longer than yours. they just stay and receive damage, like nothing happens.
Although this does still needs a bit of work to make enemy units react instantly when they come under attack regardless of whether they can see you or not.
You can see this quiet well on alpha 6 use a single mortar and then bomb 1 member of a group from beyond sight range and the rest of the near by units will come after you even though you attacked them from beyond there sight range, apparently part of the issue was to do with the fact that groups that had no units where not removed which caused a lot of lag time in the units response which usually resulted in the units just siting there taking damage till it died.
Per wrote:So what is the current status for campaign - good enough for release now?
What about other issues - which ones absolutely need fixing before release?
- The keys F1-F6 still do not work correctly (see ticket #4715)
- The display scaling patch has made it impossible for me to use this game. And for how many other users, I wonder?
I'd like some more time to test at least the most popular Linux distributions. Current problems:
- Window size can no longer be chosen without trickery.
Previously, it could be set via command line (using the '--resolution' option), config file or in the game (using the 'Video Options' menu).
Now the game maximises the window, overriding the chosen screen resolution. That new resolution can cause the game to crash for anyone sharing my graphics driver.
- In windowed mode, the screen resolution can no longer be changed in the 'Video Options' menu, which is a terrible and illogical UX choice. Instead, the user should be informed that applying a new resolution will require a restart -- if the operating systems is affected by resizing problems in the first place.
- Fullscreen resolutions can also no longer be chosen freely: Any resolution not in the list of recommended resolutions will be overruled by a false "default resolution" of 640x480 pixels.
- The game now crashes when failing a mission, as Berserk Cyborg has just discovered (read this post)
- The game now crashes when cancelling repeat build orders, as OFelix has just discovered (see ticket #4734)
- Window size can no longer be chosen without trickery.
- Due to buildbot problems, `configure` lacks dependency checks:
- SDL >= 2.0.5 (you added this check, but reverted it)
- Qt Script >= 5.4 (see ticket #4637)
- The minimap changes I introduced are too radical, and it is my responsibility to accomodate more users (read this review).
- Templates are still broken in multiple ways, especially in the campaign. I have started to work on patches.
- VTOL rearming behaviour is still far from ideal.
- Despite countless requests, unit orders have yet to be reinstated.
- The documentation is very much out of date. I know what needs to be done, but am unwilling to commit to a deadline right now.
- The ChangeLog is out of date. I have attached an improved version. We should habitually update it with each important commit.
- Translations could be improved. How about a shoutout in the translations coordination thread?
For all readers, here is a list of changes so far, taken from my updated ChangeLog (see ticket #4736):
2018-03-XX: Version 3.3.0
- Add: New challenge "Two-Faced" from forum member Forgon (commit:2535b921a40afc0a760a54f9efe31494d95dcc7b)
- Add: Chat link to main menu (commit:6797cf4681ebe35f50785f08f54c4da8d42e432e)
- Add: New save game file "main.json" (commit:6670ce187a559dbed0fcbd7a0b49ee61488801fb)
- Change: C++11 modernization (commit:9d0f604d5ac7a5968d3b8582ed5934eb4117bee4, commit:8aa07d1939c8e66759828df7b524f9b4854cebb4, commit:4c4b2845f95901245d5d90153d55a5d3db7b3b80)
- Change: Only scroll one tab when pressing Tab Scroll Left and Tab Scroll Right (commit:8bac137cf94252241e20f667b9e60639d19e5641, ticket:4643)
- Change: No longer show the game credits screen upon exit (commit:cf1c3fbf4706f7a3657ba369db235af8b6f3e981, ticket:3322)
- Change: Abolish a slight camera rotation at the start of every game (commit:c83236b788f3decae8843d3480f64ed91f14316e, ticket:4642)
- Change: Factories being destroyed could cause annoying asserts. Now set to quiet warnings (commit:616f142c6a031fc36aceb05f8c40156c563225bb)
- Fix: Trying not to crash on loading unknown templates (commit:44a1e1085d4811a0ceeeac8406457098f190c4a3, ticket:4581)
- Fix: Always show template designs (commit:20c70fd00a5f155a5ff465866841591e4a23946e, ticket:4440)
- Fix: Do not desync when destroying droids with animations (commit:123ded59aedc53dc2344be9807c321774613946f)
- Fix: Mods not read properly on save-load (commit:bd2bac6a5a81205f131b2bbe6efb41b6129b0c4c)
- Fix: Can create Mac builds again (commit:32d4fb46776bbf4f30b99f36f3534d06ea23477e, commit:e4491400c34902ee992adbe43fed95f0d401382f)
- Fix: Player properties names and AI (commit:18ec97beb53fb5c0677e2ccaaec4686edca25fd1, ticket:4628)
- Fix: Do not try loading videos if none are available (commit:81bf12847181ce7ddc7b096f2049e2c8bb949e35, ticket:4631)
- Fix: Primary hold order working (commit:27460ef00625c9c2d8594892bd5263896f1afcfb, commit:561bbbc7653927d9326a43657648ccec9a2a34d7)
- Fix: Try to store designs when they are created (commit:c693e7c11249692bd111c8d51acf024aa107c52e)
- Fix: Do not show resolutions below 640x480 (commit:3312e06e84f22a2d9c3b2687b9aeda99b8dbe1fc, ticket:4623)
- Fix: Music not playing on save-load or not playing the right music in skirmish (commit:b016f609d704ce4df022e3a89f4f70f6eaabbee7)
- Fix: Being put in cheat mode on loading saves (commit:4b91398c86a8d3e1e9c05787768508ad5929dcbc, ticket:4612)
- Change: Improved Windows installers (ticket:4748)
- Add: Wrap texture objects (commit:ac08585f245b1dd36bbd8d0a9f88b2352418f845, commit:d3b81130ae12006f54f7a8cd17846ff42ac01398)
- Fix: Make shaders compile on more systems (commit:3ec60e361e6bab478af77b51f79ab88f1ceac6db, ticket:4584)
- Fix: Rename similar variables in shaders (commit:c1131be441afa534f9ec5be76baeb6137dc94844, ticket:4589)
- Fix: Graphics driver warning when building structures (commit:f2d71eea0e03a6c2f7afcc8698a3883796f09346)
- Add: Introduce display scaling with new configuration option, live window resizing and high-DPI support (ticket:4720)
- Add: Dynamic difficulty making missions significantly easier or harder based on difficulty. Adds Insane difficulty (commit:cb19c7672fe915b95795e3af33c63c9d567faccc)
- Add: Power limits for Hard and Insane difficulty (commit:45abd912e08d0802edc5aaf6d591370ec95682ba)
- Change: Do not store or load templates which are already saved in the save file anyway (commit:d935f57c26d48fd5b431075ac0b7c6bec1315da8)
- Change: Research uses one file instead of three (commit:a696594896c9ec605d29bc58eb9b77af13e822f4)
- Change: Rename stats for scavenger weapons (commit:25de2991b2da64125c8c863aeaafe4bec50ad81d, ticket:4674)
- Change: Nexus uses more sounds in the home base defend mission (commit:acc508e0478558d0809d18f146b56d6f5a310ab6)
- Fix: Overall script stability is much better than before (too many commits)
- Fix: Limbo droids lost on save from the Gamma 2 mission (commit:8125a4098d3e73990e69d8e8b0738e837d4ff2e1)
- Fix: New Paradigm plateau transporter not arriving if all LZ's occupied with droids (commit:bd752be52f1c4d8d755c7bad3c9953b4eac0af8b)
- Fix: Mission end backdrop displaying after winning (commit:9efc45a48b6ef906d628d80a2a57cae998d6f1e1, commit:9d3c2ce8dcc1c7fafcacce9d94c3661350365b7f)
- Fix: Do not share ally vision with player (commit:8c9e7260333d6388438a091aad493bd2e11a965e, commit:e36ebcf38e76a4992878dec18f040f7db41851c7, ticket:4673)
- Fix: Show droid rank in transporter when not off-world also (commit:4cfa002cecd071406a18dbf7046b9ebfd1466f83)
- Fix: Race condition with danger maps (commit:9f25071068dd2edefb0f9fc9e17873a7c5e7a230, ticket:4633)
- Fix: Show the correct options for mission fail when in debug mode (commit:1595decca92330bd1c00b14bb884b23ae5c2b0d1, ticket:4683)
- Fix: Do not use the Arizona sky texture in Beta and Gamma campaigns (commit:5f9aa021e8e719b1705f135b39042f22641b540c)
- Fix: Beta scavengers use the civilian texture again (commit:fa6e0cb16c7d2a1b08c3a94e25dcc191eb3e3c8d)
- Fix: Being able to build Command Relay in off-world missions (commit:bb0ce5fd50a0a596e18895ef4955d31a0823d9d0)
- Fix: Potential power exploit in Alpha 3 before building power module (commit:33bea183138c4836abd9342dc11dd03200ea2a45)
- Fix: Campaign library not warning player about incoming enemy transporter (commit:c39da0858ba7f1926b8633859e85ade8166610d9)
- Fix: Droids placed in the corner of the home map when producing them and then loading a save off-world (commit:fc172d8338f16ca4ef79747c04625e5e2fb2751d, ticket:3907)
- Fix: Potential temporary lockup on sudden vision field increases (commit:800c1b6df440670f45f595e49fb83ff7ee7f724d, ticket:4644)
- Change: Move structure limiting into structure.json (commit:924135c98d630d638fcee74b8ebf85d10af2dfa1, commit:9c272aa528bab38fb8d598a7f2676745ca347a4b)
- Fix: Do not assert on loading skirmish saves when the player has lost or won (commit:77f9e5cada8469948c66ca9c3851e6991f533142, ticket:4590, ticket:3928)
- Fix: Score and kills not showing in skirmish (commit:a74041b99442caa1c7e14c0ff409fc120c20e666, ticket:3491)
- Add: Add a way for a script library to register a namespace (commit:19d37399c3fcb31fbb87cb1419125c6cb133aa16)
- Add: Function useSafetyTransport() (commit:d511cad4d15ca7ae5ecefc678527bb0a253cafde)
- Add: Function setObjectFlag() (commit:6ea98200a90304a7dd54cdddb6a11910ad57cc39)
- Add: Events and functions for alliances (commit:3670bbdb5b193a8ff59342e171810fe44415d9bb)
- Add: Function fireWeaponAtLoc() (commit:3c907bd4e4cd6290b306e847c81c060656a45fcd, commit:1cdd7bdb91fd99c7a5c9db73333c29bb76e32ff5)
- Add: Function clearConsole() (commit:e26b9516d3e065527e41fe5006f9f94983653882)
- Add: Function restoreLimboMissionData() (commit:8109d46e619fd5ca5f1220a5858b513db4114d6c)
- Add: Functions hackPlayIngameAudio() and hackStopIngameAudio() (commit:e26b9516d3e065527e41fe5006f9f94983653882)
- Add: Function getMultiTechLevel() (commit:d31f6a2c704ada8f46957a34279af78deafdeec7)
- Add: Function setCampaignNumber() (commit:b016f609d704ce4df022e3a89f4f70f6eaabbee7, commit:d60d6559c8fd930963b66bb6c3929f703b5d70f6)
- Add: A lot of events for menus (commit:629d43771b4ab621fcedb8403165f7557b235bdf, commit:b5f8a07af0f1cbad8379dfa11724ceacc9f50ce8)
- Change: Allow mods to use more than one HQ before removing the radar mini-map (commit:590434843c202e92d7ab7e5488f31de9e196ecfa, ticket:3465)
- Fix: Function removeTimer() (commit:4a24e8e2753d02775b6732d59c23a75a79b83f72)
- Remove: Base game wzscript files (commit:2999513e057beae4940209a18de2b74cfa5026dc, commit:76ac44c84b7f89a860c743202bb002586d137e63, commit:88cb1b6123bbd5fd9d3a66ea6dfb0e5eca15e6c3)
- Fix: Improved SemperFi-JS (commit:7af101472e0d66c4a73e684f17edf79f8d52505c, commit:6ed849c61a927184095fe7cbf3faa039e1f78860, commit:5b0de613a973ba96faab14ccf7f19a96c10c6a61)
- Fix: Cyborg engineer and Cyborg mechanic having nothing but legs (commit:490b91d4420ba0985289955520229a1b8b022096, commit:a856dea5afb52fc4436304f66d1fa375293110e0)
- Fix: Nullbot can research Super Pulse Laser cyborgs without asserting (commit:52db9416a8fbb7984165bbdc58b4b96efe872c33, ticket:4639)
- Add: Docker file for cross-compilation (commit:b866f11b48c9043a505a8444b295b1c22aeffb6c)
- Add: Basic CMakeLists.txt structure (commit:fa0bde7ab818174ea09505d4fc6b560588522146, commit:ae921a9ca922434ce0ad445d1dfc52e36059ff39)
- Add: Configuration option to enable or disable radar north arrow (commit:c5db25a75ea34d263ce3243f04ba4110b936ac52)
- Change: Use datarootdir as prefix for non game-Specific system paths (commit:65152d8110d02357202941b21b819f047d2f1536)
- Change: Print console message when re-aligning direction (commit:e8718ea80464e8768c12261a06c277cf3d153dcf, ticket:4620)
- Change: Replace OpenSSL with micro-ECC and SHA2 libraries (commit:f1c474153f7c55b5b39a9fdb805a7a7a4c1819c8)
- Change: Make zip file creation reproducible (commit:714399bfd5c9effa0a9b1bba8f26b625eadeb1da)
- Change: Play music in intelligence screen (commit:92722cb9726b8a1eb094b217857fc0a14f430741, ticket:4632)
- Change: Create all configuration folder subdirectories on program start (commit:2007f14910d36b4a05e1a308a0b2b720634d4c40, ticket:4664)
- Change: Improved debug menu (commit:9765b31136f18f21eb11627a7a705260d3d70641, commit:c3ef25159a0e4eae0ba3bfa68d34d303b124d1a8, commit:ad70d31cb77212ec215b907bf8c46ff52b8fcc52)
- Change: Clear information messages after game end (commit:9edf1e646ce99fd99a895b771b63678710d2378a, ticket:4621)
- Change: Address player as Commander in campaign and tutorials (commit:3a871f21d8bbc5a660d5ce996a56e65761905fe5, ticket:4612)
- Change: Allow exiting the main menu "Campaign" with the escape key (commit:c64a9a3430b45aa6879241c53f42a62d4db084d7, ticket:4648)
- Fix: Clang build fixes (commit:3e224b79a8c2ea98603444ac9827670f55db8004, commit:7b022c5a6c359f4053b314b3ee750c2b5561c41f)
- Fix: Spaces in folder names breaking autorevision (commit:178dd3f1f15e02ad7fe8e1266379448550eaf55f)
- Fix: Crash when opening debug menu in tutorial (commit:c0c20ab39965f4c062dc51d34ad8367d0e2b88f3, ticket:4681)
- Fix: Logging or source code spelling corrections (commit:d0dd6cf6b801918cba042b65bdc56e183fb675fd, commit:2ce9492056d84846a07174770cfc2c46abf44e7b, ticket:4612)
- Remove: Unused sensor turret properties in design menu (commit:c6b628e2c0c815467f0799c6c65e2f88d31585d3, ticket:4619)
- Remove: Do not save showFPS configuration option twice (commit:55c77847e4137c219170fff80d0342a0742499dd, ticket:4645)
- Change: Simpler minimap size calculation (ticket:4689)
- Add: Configuration option to quit a game without confirmation (ticket:4692)
- Change: Increase default radar size to 32 (ticket:4699)
- Change: Increased maximum VTOL rearming pad limit to 99 (commit:be03e188ba4b2661e175b4875b2a0be9898c279f)
- Add: Configuration options to set default map size, map zoom rate, default minimap size, camera speed (replaces scroll speed), turn off camera acceleration, turn off delay when jumping to new location by clicking on minimap, functionality of the scroll wheel (ticket:4629)
- Add: Ability to make weapon have no friendly fire with NoFriendlyFire (commit:d75ccdea67fb48f41b370a0c15cea3b6703f344e)
- Change: Increase capacity of design, build and research screens (ticket:4677, ticket:4721)
- Change: Droid ranks are now a brain property and can be upgraded (commit:e760917fef73e172f0149a632a7505303b25080b)
- Change: HitPoint handling in stats (commit:b1cb129247bca05fb35e50b15e8bedee2d6f4a8a)
- Change: Jammer tower and droid balancing (commit:0e78612aebdf738677bfb1d5986771667373e354, commit:6f919d4d87b32aa72b8ea65e20460795c8cbbc1b)
- Fix: Autoreplace cyborg flamer with thermite flamer (commit:8dca9a6bbabd0ff0923a088a9d0ee95d078d8ad3)
- Fix: Autoreplace cyborg rocket for cyborg scourge missile and heavy gunner for hyper velocity cannon (commit:55f5998c52a0cb2e889aa60c92e79167fc6dc8ed)
- Fix: Structures not having initial thermal armor (commit:3dd4cdbe548e64ad18c3e06ad427e90fd00c1aa8, ticket:4616)
- Add: Indonesian (commit:3c050b0cc0a909eaa73d540bffa5224f2631f149)
- Fix: German translation updates (commit:e5d7e20d49a5737a69365bb5b5e96c959e03ac9d, commit:4bc390378c90e807b31775b5e59c845d0398789e, ticket:4597)
- Fix: Turkish translation updates (commit:013f6a95415f61232d137cf415b93cb9c8652f93, ticket:4608)
- Fix: Polish translation update (commit:64bd5a1c5b984e62ddca87d542d53f9ab909cfbf)
- Fix: Greek translation updates (commit:0490eaa237b0fd8f3a0e8bac722fbb12ff67d5b2, commit:13270626cdfb4304e38e4096a75c25c34998b96c, ticket:3703)
- Fix: Russian translation updates (commit:19b767af2354a69b1d21199763188f44689c548f, commit:314a90469f38b4391ac17671f323b4b32c91ce5f)
- Fix: Chinese translation update (commit:600eff0af390810582c5362b8d29ce93b9cd1080)
- updated ChangeLog, with extension '.txt' added to bypass a restriction imposed by the forums software
- (217.44 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by Forgon on 19 Feb 2018, 01:21, edited 7 times in total.
This works fine for me, here?Forgon wrote:Previously, it could be set via command line (using the '--resolution' option)
Can you push your Changelog changes, and make tickets for bugs above that don't have tickets yet? Thanks.
I think you can run something like "ac_variable=yes ./configure" to make it use that value without running the actual test. Or maybe have a newer Qt in /usr/local/ instead of using the packaged version.
We want information... information... information.
Does executing `warzone2100 --resolution=800x600 --window` create a window 800x600 pixels large?Per wrote:This works fine for me, here?Forgon wrote:Previously, it could be set via command line (using the '--resolution' option)
Done, albeit with a bad mistake. I miss force-pushingPer wrote:Can you push your Changelog changes [...]
Not done yet.Per wrote: [...] make tickets for bugs above that don't have tickets yet? Thanks.
Still, could you explain to me how to set up MXE builds and which environment buildbot uses?
Forgon wrote:You have suggested skipping dependency checks for MXE builds. I would also like documentation on creating these as well as buildbot's environment, so that developers could test more rigorously and avoid broken builds in the future.
I wonder if we should write a script that checks out a tried and tested version of MXE and cross-compiles Warzone with it, and put that script into git. Vincent made something similar to that using Docker, but I'm not too familiar with that (see docker/Readme.md). And whatever we make, we should use with buildbot a well, so other people can reproduce whatever we do for releases on their local machines. Ending up with too much "secret sauce" on the server is not a good thing.
For now, the best documentation we have is http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/Compil ... dows/Cross
For now, the best documentation we have is http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/Compil ... dows/Cross
Yep.Forgon wrote:Does executing `warzone2100 --resolution=800x600 --window` create a window 800x600 pixels large?Per wrote:This works fine for me, here?Forgon wrote:Previously, it could be set via command line (using the '--resolution' option)