Split Community! Make 3.1.5 the official supported version

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
KillerChinchilla69
Trained
Trained

Split Community! Make 3.1.5 the official supported version

Post by KillerChinchilla69 »

Look at the most used versions of WZ here: https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... edit-text=

The official WZ website is supporting 3.2.3 as the official version but it is not being used by the majority of the community. New players download the game and cannot find enough people to play with online.We thus lose that new player.

The website has to have the main download set to 3.1.5 because its throwing new players into wrong version causing split in community. This is a super important issue to help sustain the communities numbers.

Please fix this issue. The website must support the most recent stable release being used by the community.

I am posting this here, as I do not think that enough people will see Berg's bug report in the dev section. http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4660
Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N9DDhoAV5EnwuogOI7M1g
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/killerchinchilla69
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Re: Split Community! Make 3.1.5 the official supported versi

Post by alfred007 »

KillerChinchilla69 wrote:The official WZ website is supporting 3.2.3 as the official version but it is not being used by the majority of the community.
That's only true if you say the majority of the online community. Nobody of us knows, how many players are using 3.1.5 or 3.2.3 offline. And if you want to unite the online community convince the developers to make a sticky post in the skirmish/multiplay forum so that new players that are interested in online games see what version they should use to find enough players to play with.
da_BOSSwz
New user

Post by da_BOSSwz »

I think killer brings it well on the poin,
in comparison to all other versions the current version is rejected by the most active and experienced players. which means that players who are not on the irc cannel or social media miss the main online aciviti. wich coast a split comunity .

sry for my bad eng.
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Post by JimmyJack »

I have 4 versions of the game and I play 3.2.3 the most and I only play offline. (really bad connection speed) I like 3.2.3 best for offline games because it's AI cheats less then other versions. I have tested it on no oil maps. 3.2.3 is the only one that uses up it's power then just sits there until I come and kill it. The other game versions come at me with a string of tanks that they have no way of paying for. This game is all about the oil. You can't cheat that. Why fight to take oil away from the AI if the AI don't really need it?

When I look for online games in the lobby I mostly get "can't find any games for your version" and sometimes I find 1 or 2 games but that is all. So, yes, Killer has a good point. But. The aim of this project is to bring the game forward and not to move backwards. That is why I also think that Alfred has a good answer but I say go one step more and make a forum branch for new players with info just for nubs. I know that you can get a lot of answers by digging through old posts but that takes hours and what new player is going to do all that for a game that they just downloaded?
Transmission ends ...
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

JimmyJack wrote: 3.2.3 is the only one that uses up it's power then just sits there until I come and kill it. The other game versions come at me with a string of tanks that they have no way of paying for. This game is all about the oil. You can't cheat that. Why fight to take oil away from the AI if the AI don't really need it?
It seems, you play with the wrong AI. Nexus is a "Cheater". You should choose Nullbot as Opponent. Nullbot doesn`t cheat and is much more intelligent.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

JimmyJack wrote:I have 4 versions of the game and I play 3.2.3 the most and I only play offline. (really bad connection speed) I like 3.2.3 best for offline games because it's AI cheats less then other versions. I have tested it on no oil maps. 3.2.3 is the only one that uses up it's power then just sits there until I come and kill it. The other game versions come at me with a string of tanks that they have no way of paying for. This game is all about the oil. You can't cheat that. Why fight to take oil away from the AI if the AI don't really need it?
Try MIH-XTC's Enhanced Balance Mod (download here), which includes an improved Nexus AI that plays smarter and no longer uses cheats for more oil and faster research.
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Post by JimmyJack »

Forgon wrote:Try MIH-XTC's Enhanced Balance Mod

Downloaded it. Where is the best place to put it? autoload? global?
Transmission ends ...
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

JimmyJack wrote:
Forgon wrote:Try MIH-XTC's Enhanced Balance Mod

Downloaded it. Where is the best place to put it? autoload? global?
Put it into the subdirectory 'global' of the 'mods' directory inside your configuration directory.

Afterwards, run `warzone2100 --mod=EB.wz`.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

You ask for forum posts you have plenty as you did not answer this you also got a ticket http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4660#comment:11
The idea was that you address this issue urgently for the good of the community.
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Post by JimmyJack »

Berg wrote:Remove 3.2 releases from downloads and give the players only one lobby version
The community is split because new players can only see 3.2.3 release in downloads and the main body of players are using 3.1.5.
I don't care for reasons this is happening but this is a fact you need to re-unite the player base and remove the latest releases as they are not being taken well by the larger community.
Please act on this quickly.

I do not see the choosing of one version over the other as the way to go. The reason is you/we are trying to make the decision for others. What needs doing is posting both versions 3.1.5 & 3.2.3 on the same page and then spell it out for the user 3.1.5 is for online play and is more stable. 3.2.3 is the newest but still an ongoing work and therefor not supported for online play. And let the user decide the version he/she wants.
Transmission ends ...
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

JimmyJack wrote: The reason is you/we are trying to make the decision for others.
The choice has already been made by the most popular game played
Being 3.1.5 and the choosing has been done by the community.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Berg wrote:
JimmyJack wrote: The reason is you/we are trying to make the decision for others.
The choice has already been made by the most popular game played
Being 3.1.5 and the choosing has been done by the community.
As I said before this is only true for online community. Nobody of us knows how many people are using 3.2.3 and 3.1.5 only offline. And if you want other players to play only 3.1.5 online convince them, instead of like JimmyJack said making the decision for others. You are still able to download 3.1.5 and I think it would be not very difficult to make a sticky topic for informations for possible online players. And I say it again: convince them. If you have good arguments they will follow you. If not, think about better arguments.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Maybe this topic not clear it refer to online play only I have no idea what skirmish players want.
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Post by JimmyJack »

I don't know if this data helps any thing but I just ran 10 games looking for online games. (just after midnight in the same time zone as Mexico city)

I found no online games for 3.1.1 , 3.1.5 ,or 3.2.3

I did find online games for both 2.2.1 and Warzone master.

I also don't know if it has anything to do with it but 2.2.1 and Warzone master are the only 2 versions that I have that are portable. The other 3 are installed.

Just some food for thought. :hmm:
Transmission ends ...
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

JimmyJack wrote:but 2.2.1 and Warzone master are the only 2 versions that I have that are portable. The other 3 are installed.
All of our releases going back years have been portable.