New Campaign Content...

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

New Campaign Content...

Post by Lixtan »

This is probably a few years in the future, as it's probably a low-priority idea, but I was thinking...If we are redeveloping the game, what do we think about redoing the voices, video sequences, maybe even adding new missions, and technologies to the campaigns?

My thinking is: If we add new technologies, we're going to need to do briefing sequences for those missions. The voices we have are most likely not going to sound the same as the old ones, so perhaps we'd be better off redoing them entirely? Just a thought..

PS: I think we should redo the voices anyway, because all of the voices (Except for Team Gamma) eventually get on my nerves. That's just opinionated, though, so I won't say that we absolutely have to.
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Re: New Campaign Content...

Post by C01eMaN »

so basically you want a new game made?

if it ever was to be done it would more than likely be a mod addon rather than in the main game tho
Im Addicted To Warzone!!!!!!!
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

a bit offtopic,I think the units need voices when selected/given order to attack,move etc,because the current effect sound is not very impressive and noises of the oil derricks are rather anonying...
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

As long as it only comes to sounds/voices: Go on, do it... Record something, show it to us. We can include that into the game.

What we currently can't do is any kind of video sequences (and we probably wont do that either).
What we will be able in the (far) future is ingame sequences like in Warcraft (at least this is the top favourite when it comes to discussion about cutscenes replacement: Small, no actors needed, doable with relatively low effort compared to integrating a crossplatform video player).
But I wont invest any time into anything video/cutscenes related, since we currently don't even have a clear design, API, or even editor for that.

And about the original voices: I don't think they came with the GPL release, did they? So we can't use them anyway, no need to discuss this. ;)
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

You're right, they didn't.

But you see, myself, and I'm sure alot of other people, have original copies of Warzone. We're going to miss all the video sequences, and voices, etc.

I would do some revoicing, but I think my voice is not suitable for the job. Perhaps if I use my voice-masker program I have, and force it to sound better...Hmm, interesting.

I'll see if I feel like doing it in my spare time. :P
Solitaire
Trained
Trained

Post by Solitaire »

I'd be no help with revoicing: living in Ireland over a decade and I STILL have a godawful english accent to make your face turn blue >:( Not much use for a scenario acted out in what's left of the good ol' US...

But I agree, retouching the campaign and adding some sparkle would really be great, and its on my list... well, pretty far down the list still... meh...
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I love british english. :)
(If that's what you meant with "english accent".)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

C01eMaN wrote: so basically you want a new game made?
lol! that was almost poetic
Watermelon wrote: a bit offtopic,I think the units need voices when selected/given order to attack,move etc,because the current effect sound is not very impressive and noises of the oil derricks are rather anonying...
it'd be great if we could somehow outsource to chojun for this: he made, perhaps, the most amazing mod i've ever seen, and it was an audio-update mod (forget what it was called -- "chojon's sfx mod" or something like that) -- when i played warzone with that mod, it was like i was playing it again for the first time, except with a much sweeter ambiance.

heh. if chojun was too busy to work on something like this, i'd almost be inclined to start a fundraiser to hire him for his services: he's as good as they come.
Solitaire wrote: I'd be no help with revoicing: living in Ireland over a decade and I STILL have a godawful english accent to make your face turn blue >:( Not much use for a scenario acted out in what's left of the good ol' US...
it's not like players really pay attention to the voices anyways -- if you click to send a unit somewhere and you hear a voice immediately afterwards, it's a given that the unit is replying with something like "affirmative" -- don't worry if no one understands you. in fact, it's probably better that we get a whole lot of different sounding voices, if possible male and female, as realizing that everyone in each one of your tanks sounds exactly the same as every other is just about as drab as not having any voices at all.

also, the real interesting thing would be if you start hearing "commander? commander... *static* we're really getting the sh*static* beaten out of us over here" (of course with rated "e" filters, if you don't want to hear the reality of what people say when they're getting the crap beaten out of them.

this is a good contrast to the typical "ahhhh! nooooooo!" sounds you inexplicably hear in most games *after* a vehicle has exploded, as in most spoken languages, it's not possible to talk when you consist of 300 little pieces and two unidentifiable large chunks.

also, there are plenty of people in the us that have strange accents: we call them texans, and the texans call them "everyone else" (no offense to texans, and from a texan perspective, no offense to "everyone else"). actually, there are enough people with foreign-ish accents in the states (and in the military too) that it wouldn't be that out of place, though, i just realized, that after being trapped in a bunker for 100 years, the accents would probably all be those of the area in which the bunker resides (i don't remember where the storyline says this happens to be). who knows? maybe the military installation had a chinatown and a british embassy during that "nuclear winter".