Warzone 2117

For code related discussions and questions
atoi2017
Greenhorn

Warzone 2117

Post by atoi2017 »

Guys, lets work on a new project. The sequel to 2110. Let's make it available on iPhone and android, and even Raspberry Pi.
I'm going to start my own project from scratch and try to learn from 2110. I could use your help, I am a brand new programmer, I can buy the books and look up the APIs obviously but as you know there is a crazy amount of overhead to learn.

However, if you are interested, I have created a blank repository on GitHub, and I want to keep this spirit alive. And with any luck maybe we can monetize it somehow so our efforts are paid out. We work hard for it.

[it is a private repository, and that has to be refined/developed yet, but you are welcome to PM me for an invite to the GitHub repo, I'd love to have community support]
Last edited by atoi2017 on 11 Mar 2017, 18:01, edited 2 times in total.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone 2117

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

Interesting idea. I have heard of(but not played) many 'sequels'. My only comment is that you should look at the end of the very last cutscene on campaign and incorporate that in.
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

1. Take a single bug of your choice in our bug tracker.
2. Make a patch to fix it.
3. See how much time it took to perform steps 1 and 2.
4. Multiply by around 20000.
5. That'd be the amount of time you'd need.
6. Still think it's a good idea?
atoi2017
Greenhorn

Post by atoi2017 »

Yeah I know it's an insane amount of work, like any program. especially if you are new like me. I just barely only have SDL initialized so far and I'm learning as I go, and there is a lot to learn.
I would guess that the quickest workflow would be to use CryEngine or UE4, or something as a jumping off point and not have to reinvent the wheel for all the eye candy. That alone takes a lot of work and learning. I'm still leaning on trying to do it from scratch, but I haven't gotten as far as trying to work with meshes and renderers yet. :)
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Well, he is eager! :)

Just work every hour of every day and you will be sorted out. Why 2117?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

atoi2017 wrote:Guys, lets work on a new project. The sequel to 2110. Let's make it available on iPhone and android, and even Raspberry Pi.
I'm going to start my own project from scratch and try to learn from 2110. I could use your help, I am a brand new programmer, I can buy the books and look up the APIs obviously but as you know there is a crazy amount of overhead to learn.

However, if you are interested, I have created a blank repository on GitHub, and I want to keep this spirit alive. And with any luck maybe we can monetize it somehow so our efforts are paid out. We work hard for it.
Erm, if you are in it to earn $$$, then, you really won't be earning much, if at all.
Not to mention that getting stuff on the Apple store is a minefield because of the their insane license they make you sign, and trying to get GPL content up there and so on, and getting permission from content owners to try to do a dual license for you, and all that good stuff.
Won't be fun.

Since you are just starting out, I would also say to take it one step at a time, play around with the code, some stuff is logical, most isn't immediately logical, if at all.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
atoi2017
Greenhorn

Post by atoi2017 »

Tzeentch wrote:Well, he is eager! :)

Just work every hour of every day and you will be sorted out. Why 2117?

I figured 2117 since it's 2017 now and it'd be 100 years from now, and our current state of world events almost makes me think of something like that at that time. hope not though. also it'd be 17 years later in the ongoing war of wz2100.

I work a full time overnight job, and I spend all my free time trying to work on coding, but I'm not making as much progress as I like. Seems every time I start to get started, it's either time to sleep or go to work lol. I'm still stuck on barely drawing a window and a textured triangle. hopefully today I can figure out how to load meshes from obj files.

Perhaps I should really get to familiarize myself with the existing codebase more, and understand how things are done there, but it seems overwhelming because there is a lot of stuff there. I also use VS2017 and I get lots of errors that are annoying,

"E2926 There are too many errors for the IntelliSense engine to function properly, some of which may not be visible in the editor. Warzone2100_msvc_2015 c:\Users\gds\Source\Repos\warzone2100\src\init.cpp" omg lol.
atoi2017
Greenhorn

Post by atoi2017 »

vexed wrote:
atoi2017 wrote:Guys, lets work on a new project. The sequel to 2110. Let's make it available on iPhone and android, and even Raspberry Pi.

Erm, if you are in it to earn $$$, then, you really won't be earning much, if at all.
Not to mention that getting stuff on the Apple store is a minefield because of the their insane license they make you sign, and trying to get GPL content up there and so on, and getting permission from content owners to try to do a dual license for you, and all that good stuff.
Won't be fun.

Since you are just starting out, I would also say to take it one step at a time, play around with the code, some stuff is logical, most isn't immediately logical, if at all.
I imagine you have some experience with this, whereas I don't. But I do see a lot of games/apps out there now that pay their bills with premium upgrades or timer beating playing on the impatient. I also haven't seen a good RTS out there on the app store/play store or the like. I don't mean to sound naïve to the community or anything I'm just really getting my feet wet in to all of this, but I think that would be cool for all of us. One step at a time is good, I'm in way over my head :)
atoi2017
Greenhorn

Post by atoi2017 »

Some if not almost all of you guys know what you are doing, I can devote my time to help.
I've learned programming patterns and practices and modern c++ 11/14. I can buy some books. I'd like to take the lead, but I don't have that experience, so I rely on all of you... Everyone has their strengths and something to offer.

Heck, I better get started working on a bug first ;)
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Time is the biggest enemy of lots of FOSS projects. :(

Still don't see how you will solve the Apple dilemma though.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yep, essentially, even if i had a few years of life to invest into this, i'd request a lot more proof that the author of the thread would be anyhow helpful, and that a few other people would join. Either the author starts alone and produces a large portion of working code before calling for cooperation, or at least i'd expect to see a few years of experience in gamedev, ideally making simpler games from scratch, to consider cooperating.

It's so strict because either the project reaches some sort of completion, or i waste a few years for literally nothing. An empty github repo and a few books read wouldn't quite convince me or other people around.

Note how few real-time strategies were actually developed the way you propose. I'd recall 0 A.D. which is still in deep pre-alpha after 15+ years of development, with an impressing list of contributors [1]. There's also a small community around the Spring engine. Also glest. Anything else?

That's why i stick to people who have already done a lot of work on this game and are still actively working on it. This way whatever i do, it's not wasted. Hence the advice above.

That said, i'm happy to see you enthusiastic. I guess you don't need a blessing to try to play around with the code and share what comes out of it. After all, the internet is about sharing rather than requesting.
nulldev
Greenhorn

Post by nulldev »

I would be very willing to make a Kotlin/Java port of this game which I could then port to Android as I have extensive experience with both Kotlin/Java and Android.

The problem is again: "Time". It is literally the single roadblock preventing me from doing this. I love this game and have played it since I was 10 years old.

In the case I do begin doing this, I will probably just convert the C++ code into Java line by line. There is an OpenGL implementation for Java and QT can be replaced with Swing or JavaFX or something like that.

It's not hard work, anybody could probably do it. It's just repetitive and very time consuming and I don't have enough time.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

nulldev wrote:I would be very willing to make a Kotlin/Java port of this game which I could then port to Android as I have extensive experience with both Kotlin/Java and Android.

The problem is again: "Time". It is literally the single roadblock preventing me from doing this. I love this game and have played it since I was 10 years old.

In the case I do begin doing this, I will probably just convert the C++ code into Java line by line. There is an OpenGL implementation for Java and QT can be replaced with Swing or JavaFX or something like that.

It's not hard work, anybody could probably do it. It's just repetitive and very time consuming and I don't have enough time.
Hello nulldev!
I also think about it. If there was a separate engine.
Warzone Engine.
Then it would be easier to create for the IOS and Android.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

It is necessary to change the name.
Because of the license.

The beginning of the plot.
At the end of the video, Nexus sent himself to the Martian base.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTz7_x2rt2M

Nexus laughed at the end of the war.
The virus struck the Martian base.
Nexus found new space technologies.
And Nexus will create an army of robots and attack the earth.
The war will end on the planet Mars.

Martianzone 2100 :wink:
getmam
New user

Post by getmam »

Good idea!
I had a rpi3. And I had tried to run warzone2100 on it. In fact, It was ran pretty on it.
Some background:
  • Hardware: raspberry pi 3B
    Config: Use vc4-kms-v3d and vc4-fkms-v3d (Don't recommend) both working.
    Config: Use 'gpu_mem=256' at /boot/config.txt
    Distro: Raspbian 4.9.79-v7+ #1091 SMP Tue Feb 6 13:18:45 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
    Result: Working at 800 x 600, and it was smooth. XD
    Result: Not working at 1280 x 720 and more. :roll:
I think the limitation of this game is video memory on opengl. If it add opengles support, the game shoud be run better.

Do you have other idea? 8)