Is it so hard to have the latest mac version on SF?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Is it so hard to have the latest mac version on SF?

Post by Rommel »

Really there are a lot of people with macs and you are missing out by not even trying to support the platform...
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Is it so hard to have the latest mac version on SF?

Post by Per »

Mac is really the hardest target to support for a cross-platform project. And it is all Apple's fault.

We need someone to do this job, as none of us active developers have a Mac to build on or much experience (or desire) working with the Mac build system.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Mac is really the hardest target to support
I wasn't aware that it was so hard to support, I can remember only a version back asking about mac support and a kind fellow generated a dmg for me within a day or so - it did not seem like a big deal to him...

I have played WZ exclusively on a mac quite some years now without any real problems, what has changed that makes it so difficult now? I thought it was just a matter of compiling it to some kind of mac dmg wrapper.
Seems to me absurd
~
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Postby belgarreth1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:43 am
When trying to build versions 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 on a Mac running OS Sierra, the build fails with the following errors:

error: /Users/gmacbook/Desktop/warzone2100-3.2.2/3rdparty/miniupnpc/bsdqueue.h: No such file or directory

and

error: /Users/gmacbook/Desktop/warzone2100-3.2.2/3rdparty/miniupnpc/declspec.h: No such file or directory

Could anyone please advise of a possible solution.
Seems it wont compile.
The devs did add new libs maybe that is the issue for mac build.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Rommel wrote:I wasn't aware that it was so hard to support, I can remember only a version back asking about mac support and a kind fellow generated a dmg for me within a day or so - it did not seem like a big deal to him...

I have played WZ exclusively on a mac quite some years now without any real problems, what has changed that makes it so difficult now? I thought it was just a matter of compiling it to some kind of mac dmg wrapper.
I am at loss to understand which part of my answer above was hard to understand, so I must guess that you think that we can somehow crosscompile to Mac, but this is not the case. To build for Mac, you need a Mac. And Mac is its own world, with its own build system and ways of doing things.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

what has changed that makes it so difficult now?
The last person on the team who had a mac no longer has time to contribute.

Many free cross-platform projects, even those noticeably bigger than ours, suffer from that.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

I know Mac people don't like being behind, but, this is completely out of our hands, since, as was already mentioned, nobody has a Mac and only a Mac can make the game because of Apple's idiotic rules. We would love to add a Mac specific target to our cross-compiler that we use to make Windows builds (from a linux box), but, Apple will NOT allow that, hence the idiotic rules statement.

The people who did the Mac builds in the past for us are either too busy, or not motivated, or ... to make those builds again. Sorry, but, they are contributors.

That said, since obviously you have a Mac, I suggest you dig in and make your own builds. :)

Please follow the discussion here: https://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12702
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Per wrote: I am at loss to understand which part of my answer above was hard to understand, so I must guess that you think that we can somehow crosscompile to Mac, but this is not the case.
I understood you perfectly well thank you very much. I just stated that it seemed like it was easy because someone did it quite quickly for me a few versions back.
vexed wrote: That said, since obviously you have a Mac, I suggest you dig in and make your own builds. :)

Please follow the discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12702
I would try but:
Postby belgarreth1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:43 am
When trying to build versions 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 on a Mac running OS Sierra, the build fails with the following errors:

error: /Users/gmacbook/Desktop/warzone2100-3.2.2/3rdparty/miniupnpc/bsdqueue.h: No such file or directory

and

error: /Users/gmacbook/Desktop/warzone2100-3.2.2/3rdparty/miniupnpc/declspec.h: No such file or directory

Could anyone please advise of a possible solution.
It seems like there could be issues...

For what it is worth, I actually contribute a small amount of money to the project each month as I do really like the game and appreciate the work that is done keeping it alive. So big thanks guys, I will just be patient and hope for a mac version sometime soon.
Seems to me absurd
~
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I think I have offered the team to use one of my Mac's via remote control to compile a Mac version if the only big reason why not getting Mac versions right in time or anymore is because they don't have a Mac. Unfortunately nobody replied and I am not familar with compiling on the Mac. All I remember is that when you throw the source code onto Apples XCode tools it dropps a bunch of compiling errors.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

themac wrote:I think I have offered the team to use one of my Mac's via remote control to compile a Mac version if the only big reason why not getting Mac versions right in time or anymore is because they don't have a Mac. Unfortunately nobody replied and I am not familar with compiling on the Mac. All I remember is that when you throw the source code onto Apples XCode tools it dropps a bunch of compiling errors.
That would take lots of work to fix it, it isn't as simple as using remote to that machine.
The Xcode hasn't been updated in years, and unless you know your way around Xcode, getting it back to working order is going to take a lot of time--something that we (devs) don't have an abundance of.

I also think you need to have a apple ID, and the latest SDKs to make builds these days, and then you got the whole OS version stuff.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Both the Apple ID and the SDK you get for free I think. I know I have a Apple ID and SDK maybe. :)