New player, stuck in alpha campaign due to game freeze

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
Necromanrius
New user

New player, stuck in alpha campaign due to game freeze

Post by Necromanrius »

Well, first of all hellow everybody. I'm a pretty old players of Warzone 2100, having reached the final alpha mission back when I was a kid, lost the CDs at some point and only just rediscovered the game here!

Thought I'd play the campaign, and this time complete it, only to have run into a few bugs.

First of all, I had gotten stuck on Alpha 2 (the mission which ends with discovering the power plant upgrade) because the mission didn't end even after I had researched the upgrade and killed every enemy on the map (when it didn't work the first time I restarted the game and carefully combed the map, leaving no enemy alive).
I ended up cheating to pass that level...

Next bug, I realised I could build the relay during the first mission against the New Paradigm (the away mission in which you meet them. Hmm, I didn't remember our side was such assholes that when someone tells us not to cross on their borders we invade and destroy their bases... Always thought we were the good guys!) leading me to research the Commander units
This leads to my next bug. I cannot design a Commander unit. Whenever I try, it doesn't get saved. I can make any unit, modify any unit, but if I put the commander turret, it will not be saved. Well, that's annoying, but whatever, I'll make do without.

An hour later I wiped out their forces from MY map (take that peaceful coexistence!), I had to build a base on the plateau, while their transports would occasionally drop extra xp for my troops.
Nothing to report there, until the mission ends. I get the mission accomplished screen, press continue and then... then.......
well, then nothing. Game freezes. I restart, reload my save and... it freezes again?....
I restart again, load another save (one that was back in the second mission), and that one freezes again!!!
I copy my saves, delete the Warzone folder in my documents, launch warzone, place my saves back, Saves work again. However, attempting to finish the plateau defence results in the game freezing again and all saves freezing as well.

Hopefully this is a detailled enough summary posted in the right place, otherwise, please let me know, I'd really like to finish this game at least one...
Radiosity
Greenhorn

Re: New player, stuck in alpha campaign due to game freeze

Post by Radiosity »

I also have the commander design bug, stuck on that mission now.

edit: Well... now the save won't load, it locks the game up, same as for Necromanrius above.

edit 2: So I can't load ANY savegame, they all lock the game up completely. Sort of expected the game to be a bit more stable after this long, guys...

edit 3: Decided to try new campaign to test... yep, crashed again. Looks like the whole game is broken and simply won't start any game, new, saved, or otherwise :(
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Thought the game was stable, since there weren't many new bug reports.

Would one of you attach a savegame which stops all other savegames from loading to a new ticket? (Need both the *.gam file and the directory with the same name.)

http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

I will test the whole campaign and make a list. Seems a little bit to much bugs :-(
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Radiosity
Greenhorn

Post by Radiosity »

Here you go: http://radkatsu.uk/campaign.rar

And sorry if I seemed a little annoyed in the previous post, I have minimal free time and can't really afford to waste 5 hours because a bug destroyed my saves (though even starting a new campaign doesn't work any more either...)

edit: Sorry, forgot to say, 2.gam is the appropriate save (the mission where the Project region map fully opens up and you have to research the command turret). 1.gam also doesn't load any more, however, so it seems whatever broke did something catastrophic. I noticed during the mission that I was getting regular errors as well, every few minutes, so I've added my logs in addition: http://radkatsu.uk/logs.rar

edit 2: Also, unrelated but seems weird: Is it just me or do you get an insane amount of oil in the campaign compared to the original game? I had like 6000 by the end of mission 2 and I wasn't even trying. I also noticed that it seemed to jump by double between missions (6000 > 12000). Think I have around 25000 oil in the mission I was currently on before it went wrong, and that doesn't seem right. Playing on Normal difficulty.
Necromanrius
New user

Post by Necromanrius »

hmm, seems by the time I managed to get home and actually access my saves someone else sent his already!!
Radiosity, while I do not know how to fix the error itself, deleting the warzone folder in your documents, the one which houses your saves, the error that prevents you from starting another campaign or load another mission disappears. I recommend keeping a backup of the saves and of the settings of course. At least that would allow you to load another mission, do another campaign, etc...

I'll upload my own save file, the one which doesn't work at least.
For more information, I can load it as is. Though, as soon as the mission ends (a few seconds after the game is loaded)... Well, try to launch next mission and you'll see!!!

Hmmm, now that I look about, seems like enemy units take a while to respond. The enemy units dropped by ship did take over 5s to move from their landing spot. Not sure if this is a bug or not....

Here's to hoping this gets fixed. I'll be waiting patiently, but I'd really like to finish this campaign properly at least once...
Attachments
campaign.zip
save which cause total game freeze
(86.49 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Radiosity
Greenhorn

Post by Radiosity »

Necromanrius wrote:Hmmm, now that I look about, seems like enemy units take a while to respond. The enemy units dropped by ship did take over 5s to move from their landing spot. Not sure if this is a bug or not....
Nah, that's been a thing since the original, unlikely to be related to this :) And thanks for the tip, will give it a try and hope it works, guess I'll just have to make regular backups of the saves and hope I can restore in the event it happens again.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Thanks, I could reproduce a freeze if loading any campaign game, then loading another without restarting the game. I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but it should be fixed in a394991dd19e93248ef3c409a4147c23ed7cc3b4.

Would someone test if it's fixed? You can use warzone2100-master-*-*-*.exe in http://buildbot.wz2100.net/files/ . But not the one called warzone2100-master-20160729-162748-640f6c2.exe, if it says that, then you read this comment too soon, and should wait for the buildbot.
Rodders
New user

Post by Rodders »

I can confirm level Alpha 2 does not finish after all the required tasks have been completed (and I've completed the Campaign many times previously), also had a crash on that level during save and noticed error messages appear at the top of the screen periodically.
Last edited by Rodders on 02 Aug 2016, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Radiosity
Greenhorn

Post by Radiosity »

Okay, installed and moved saves over, yep, works now, thanks. Command turret template I created is there and buildable where it wasn't before.

edit: still getting huge numbers of errors, though.

"error |08:58:24: [callFunction:186] 1 : <global>() at -1
info |08:58:24: [callFunction:189] Uncaught exception calling function "eventDroidBuilt" at line 2229: TypeError: Result of expression '__camOriginalEvents[eventname].apply' [undefined] is not a function.
info |08:58:24: [callFunction:189] Assert in Warzone: qtscript.cpp:189 (false), last script event: '<none>'
error |09:22:06: [callFunction:186] 0 : <anonymous>([object Object], [object Object]) at script/campaign/libcampaign.js:2229"

This, every few minutes while building new units and while the game is idle (currently paused, error still popping up regularly).
Necromanrius
New user

Post by Necromanrius »

sry for the late reply, I didn't have time to test the game recently, but yes, I can confirm on my end the mission ends without crashing this time and I can make the commander turret.

Though, I went ahead and loaded a save from the second mission (the one which has the scavenger base with the power plant upgrade) and that ones still seems stuck. It's not a major issue since there is a cheatcode to end the mission (that's how I passed it), but it may end up bothering others...

Thank you very much for the help! and now, twenty years later, I will finally finish this campaign!!! *insert full blown evil laughter*
mabrownmab
New user

Post by mabrownmab »

3.2.1. Running portable apps version.

I'm getting similar error as this topic. I can load my save games, but mission doesn't end. I can't use the cheat codes to end mission either. Just stuck on it.
Sorry if I'm reporting in the wrong area.

--- Starting log [..\..\Data\settings\logs\WZlog-1122_144509.txt]---
info |02:45:09: [realmain:1140] Using ..\..\Data\settings\logs\WZlog-1122_144509.txt debug file
info |02:45:24: [loadLabels:952] Unit 3236 belonging to player 7 not found from label group_2
info |02:45:24: [loadLabels:952] Assert in Warzone: qtscriptfuncs.cpp:952 (psObj), last script event: '<none>'
error |02:46:12: [callFunction:186] 0 : <anonymous>([object Object]) at script/campaign/libcampaign.js:2229
error |02:46:12: [callFunction:186] 1 : <global>() at -1
info |02:46:12: [callFunction:189] Uncaught exception calling function "eventDestroyed" at line 2229: TypeError: Result of expression '__camOriginalEvents[eventname].apply' [undefined] is not a function.
info |02:46:12: [callFunction:189] Assert in Warzone: qtscript.cpp:189 (false), last script event: '<none>'
info |02:55:06: [seq_Play:510] unable to open 'sequences/end.ogg' for playback
SexViperWheels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SexViperWheels »

I made a post about this as well regarding the Alpha 2 issues, submitted a bug report also. Seems to be pretty consistent with 3.x downloads. Skip level cheat doesn't work for it either.