Questions about Textures and Models

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
alaska
New user

Questions about Textures and Models

Post by alaska »

Hello, I have been interested in modding warzone; but I have came across some questions in the process.

My big question is about the textures. I see that the texture pages contain the team colors, ect. I am wondering if I would need to mimic the layout used for say, the weapon textures to have colors work properly. I would then assume the PIE file holds the coordinates for the colors?

I am also not having luck getting models into the game. All I have done is added my .pie models into the proper component folder, and edited an existing stat entry to use my pie model. The confusion I am encountering is that the original model (say the machine gun) displays. I do not receive any errors. It seems as if warzone loads the default model?

I used base.wz to add my model and edit the stat file. I zipped the file and renamed the extension and moved it to my autoloader folder.
Warzone states "modtest.wz" has loaded, so the mod is loading.

I'm not really skilled when it comes to modding, but I can do a lot of basic things. I feel I'm missing some basic steps and information.

If anyone is curious I want to make a mod that adds a few weapons. Mainly as alternatives to existing weapons. Like a rocket/missile equivalent to the HVC, or a "shotgun cannon" to give the cannon line a effective tool against cyborgs.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Questions about Textures and Models

Post by Per »

You are correct in assuming that the PIE file gives the team color coordinates. Did you see http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/PIE_format yet?

When it comes to adding models, first please say if you are using 3.2 or 3.1. Some of these things became a lot easier in 3.2, so that is what I recommend using.

Please attach the mod you made that does not work, and I'll have a look.
alaska
New user

Post by alaska »

Thanks for the reply. My internet usage is limited to my phone, so uploading files can be a challenge. I mainly only receive EDGE.

Regardless I can simply say I only changed the machine gun body and barrel pies I'n the weapon stats file. And added those pies to weapon component folder.

For the pie model itself, I created them I'n wings3D and used 3DS to pie converter.
Without actually being able to see the model I'm game, I can't say if it works out.

I did not see the pie format wiki, that is helpful to know. I do have to ask what kind of editor do I need for them?

I believe im using 3.1, but I can't imagine any reason not to upgrade to 3.2, especially if it makes modding easier.

Life keeps me pretty busy so I haven't attempted any other approaches since my original posting.
I'm hoping this weekend I can work on it some more
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi
The .pie models are human readable text files. I personally use notepad++, but any decent text/code editor will work (avoid notepad becaues it sometimes doesn't handle line endings correctly)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-