Calculus Maps

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Calculus Maps

Post by MIH-XTC »

Hi All,

I just finished making my first ever map using FlaME 1.28. Inspired by Feli's rainforest map found here

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10037#p112046

I used the perimeter of his map as a base foundation for creating mine. I hope he doesn't mind.

The purpose of this map is to combine the popular NTW playing style with the look, feel and strategies found in low oil maps. The 4v4 version is 70x95 tiles with a beach volleyball theme. It is intended to be played with full bases and scavengers on.

Here are some screenshots and the map face card:

Next up is to finish the 1v1, 2v2 and 5v5 versions. Then I'd like to make some more MINI maps using the different themes found here https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/disp ... n+Tilesets
Attachments
6c-VolleyBall3v3.wz
License is public domain
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
8c-VolleyBall4v4.wz
License is public domain
(35.4 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
Last edited by MIH-XTC on 25 Mar 2015, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Calculus Maps

Post by stiv »

with a beach volleyball theme
Major points for originality.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Hey all,

I made another 4v4 MINI map based off Feli's AuberForest map originally found here:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10037&start=15#p112171

I call this TropicalRush, it's 93x92, 8 players.

For the most part, all I did was copy one half of the map, pasted it to the other half and then lined up the two halves so that each side is “mirrored” straight across instead of the two halves being staggered like they originally were. This allowed the middle of the map to be less cluttered, more open and provided navigation paths straight across from one side to the other. From there I made a few minor alterations e.g. widened some of the narrow passages, added full bases, made some slight texture/height modifications and strategically placed oil but for the most part this map is just a quick “chop” of Feli’s map that only took a couple of hours to finalize. The map is intended to be played on T1 full bases. I played a few multiplayer games and I'm satisfied with the gameplay. Enjoy.

Attachments
8c-TropicalRush.wz
License is public domain
(45.28 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
Last edited by MIH-XTC on 25 Mar 2015, 03:50, edited 2 times in total.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

After being satisfied with the turnout of 2 medium oil maps I wanted to try my hand at making a high oil map. This map is a remix of NoQ's Aurora tileset originally found here:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9885&p=110120#p110120

I have attached two versions of my map to this post, the first is named AuroraVTOL and is my original version that I ended up scrapping. It's a massive 220x250 tiles that lags terribly. The map looks very nice but that’s about it. The game play is dull, boring and lame. I’m almost embarrassed to say how much time I spent making something that I ended up throwing away (30+ hours from Thursday until Monday). The map is so big that the left and right sides of the map are basically unaffiliated and really have no point in putting them on the same team. The biggest drawback of this map is that it in 4v4, 5v5 and some 3v3 games it begins to seriously lag down to 4 FPS after just 2 minutes of game play due to the excessive number of objects rendering the map unplayable. The only reason I’m posting it here is so that my work wasn’t a complete waste of time. It was intended to be played with full bases T3 tech but I did not enjoy playing this.

I knew I had to make the map smaller, less players and focus on micro’ing the unit control tactics. The second version I scaled down to 110x212 and named AuroraNTW. After playing a few multiplayer games on this 2nd version I’m VERY happy with how the gameplay turned out.

The 2nd version is 56 oils, intended to be played on T1 with full bases. The map is designed such that there are 5 avenues/lanes from the top to the bottom each of which has its own unique height and route challenges. I wanted to contrast this heavily against the classic flat map as an alternative to NTW. I like my games to start quick, but not such that “rush” tactics are overwhelming and last ~15 – 30 minutes, not hours.

As far as gameplay strategy/tactics go for this map, the weapon choice and research paths are balanced beyond what I had anticipated. I was originally going to make this noarty because groundshaker tanks usually dominate the gameplay once available but much to my delight that strategy doesn’t seem to work as well here. In the few multiplayer games I played, I was very pleased to see other players leveraging the advantages of the terrain. Hovers, VTOL’s, Flamers, artillery, cannons and minipods I believe are all equally relevant. I did place gateways on this map but did not test single player. Enjoy!

AuroraNTW:

AuroraVTOL

Attachments
10c-AuroraVTOL.wz
License is public domain
(637.47 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
6c-AuroraNTW.wz
License is public domain
(562.03 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Last edited by MIH-XTC on 25 Mar 2015, 03:58, edited 2 times in total.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Don`t worry-there are enough players, who like boring NTW high-oil maps. I like the idea you had. And Stiv said right: " extra points" I hope, you will continue in map-making :) Why don`t you try to make your own maps? Would be nice to see you again. I hope, that is not all :3

Regards
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

montetank wrote:Don`t worry-there are enough players, who like boring NTW high-oil maps. I like the idea you had. And Stiv said right: " extra points" I hope, you will continue in map-making :) Why don`t you try to make your own maps? Would be nice to see you again. I hope, that is not all :3

Regards

I will most likely only make 1 or 2 more maps. I only made these maps because I've always wanted to be able to make my own map such that I can customize the gameplay. Now that I've done that and made 3 maps, I feel content and at peace. I would like to make 1 or 2 more maps with similar characteristics to the last one. I'd like it to be 56 oil, full base, new/creative looking tileset with some strategic terrain and oil placement.

Thanks for the PM about how these forums work. I hope NoQ doesn't mind that I used his tileset. I thought stuff posted here was intended for sharing. I just want to make fun maps to attract more players. I don't mind what people do with the map.

As far as making my own maps from scratch, I think I read somewhere there is a terrain generator of some sort or something? Other than that, it seems too much work to start from scratch.

I need another set of cool looking tiles to make another map. I just started googling 64x64 PNG tiles to see if there's anything readily available. Again, I'm not about stealing credit for other peoples stuff, I just want to make fun/cool looking maps, no strings attached.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

MIH-XTC wrote:
montetank wrote:Don`t worry-there are enough players, who like boring NTW high-oil maps. I like the idea you had. And Stiv said right: " extra points" I hope, you will continue in map-making :) Why don`t you try to make your own maps? Would be nice to see you again. I hope, that is not all :3

Regards
Thanks for the PM about how these forums work. I hope NoQ doesn't mind that I used his tileset. I thought stuff posted here was intended for sharing. I just want to make fun maps to attract more players. I don't mind what people do with the map.

As far as making my own maps from scratch, I think I read somewhere there is a terrain generator of some sort or something? Other than that, it seems too much work to start from scratch.

I need another set of cool looking tiles to make another map. I just started googling 64x64 PNG tiles to see if there's anything readily available. Again, I'm not about stealing credit for other peoples stuff, I just want to make fun/cool looking maps, no strings attached.
No word of stealing-misunderstanding :)
Everything, what is offered here to download, should be free to use. Vexed and the other admins takes care about this.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

(1) This tileset is not by me; i merely converted the old Aurora map in this thread; and because it was uploaded into the old addons (before this site was hacked), i assume it is distributed under liberal license terms (in fact it is stated in the stickies that whatever is uploaded to the forums *must* have a remark of how freely it can be used and re-used, a.k.a. the license). Whatever tilesets are actually "mine" are mostly mentioned in my signature, and also the funny "marble" experiment found on some of my maps, like this one.

(2) No, making a map from scratch is actually not hard; creating a full-featured realistic (i.e. not geometric, not flat) terrain on a not-too-large map usually takes a couple of hours for me, with a bit of practice. I also made a speed-painting thing here. Of course a large (256x256) map would take a few days, and also when you add a custom tileset, it gets even harder. But it's still nothing compared to how much patience it takes for an artist to paint a picture, or for a programmer to code a program.

(3) Terrain generator exists in FlaME (the tools thing), but it's style is too easily recognizable and, well, isn't very beautiful. In its current state, the better purpose for the generator is actually to supply the player with an unlimited set of unknown maps to explore, rather than to help people make solid maps of their own.

(4) 128x128 tiles are also fine. Unfortunately, the original game had only 64x64, but we now support twice as much. And, of course, you can use custom big ground textures as well, not just decal tiles.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

The map looks very nice but that’s about it. The game play is dull, boring and lame. I’m almost embarrassed to say how much time I spent making something that I ended up throwing away (30+ hours from Thursday until Monday). The map is so big that the left and right sides of the map are basically unaffiliated and really have no point in putting them on the same team. The biggest drawback of this map is that it in 4v4, 5v5 and some 3v3 games it begins to seriously lag down to 4 FPS after just 2 minutes of game play due to the excessive number of objects rendering the map unplayable.
Not a waste of time, you learnt from this. Maybe didn't go to plan but gives you more experience. How have you proven the lag is caused by many objects rendering? What objects? Any code i.e. to add an oil drum has almost no impact from what I've seen
swirusek
New user

Post by swirusek »

Nice oryginal maps :)
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

I just finished my 4th map, it's 166x132 tiles and took about ~12 hours to make. I combined the nice features I liked from my previous 3 maps and added some new tiles to differentiate the base in the middle. The theme is that there are 3 different architectural designs (civilizations if you will), each with their own unique aqueduct system. Hey, every civilization has to have a source of fresh water right?

I didn't intend for this theme, it just happened when I was trying to make obstacles out of water and then I just got carried away with putting water around the perimeter of each base. Hovers are definitely relevant on this map.

This map is intended to be played 2v2v2v2v2, half base, T1 but can be played with several different combinations of players and teams. I always liked 2v2v2v2v2 games. Each player starts off with 12 oils in the base, 8 oils on the perimeter of the base and 2 oils in the center.

I tried to strategically place the oil and distance between bases to make for interesting game play dynamics. The players in the center base have slightly more oil and fewer pathways into their base to compensate them for being in the middle.

Also, there is a "max" mod in this map, meaning there are no limits on how many base structures can be built.

I did this for 2 reasons:
1. If playing 2v2v2v2v2 and your ally quits or gets disconnected you will be able to get his oil and make however many research centers to stay competitive.

2. Unlike no limits in NTW, you have to put in work to capture this extra oil :). It puts incentive on capturing oils in the middle and attacking in general as there are no limits on how much power you can acquire. Each player would have ~25 oils if all of the oil on the map was distributed evenly but on average I think players will have around 18 - 20 during a real game. Turtle maps are boring.

Attachments
10c-Complications.wz
GPL 2+ License
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 515 times
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

After playing the map, I didn't realize just how weak the scavengers were. 5 flamer cyborgs basically takes out all of the scavs and this map is too rushed. I had to significantly strengthen the scavengers to make this map playable. The revised version is attached, I can no longer remove the copy from the post above.
Attachments
10c-Complications.wz
GPL 2+ License
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 420 times
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

I like this design, I'll await the finalised product

"Also, there is a "max" mod in this map, meaning there are no limits on how many base structures can be built." can this be enabled or disabled prior to playing? Incase I want the limit to remain?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Tzeentch wrote: "Also, there is a "max" mod in this map, meaning there are no limits on how many base structures can be built." can this be enabled or disabled prior to playing? Incase I want the limit to remain?

Make the map without mods
I do dislike mapmods prefer the mod and the map separate
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Tzeentch wrote: "Also, there is a "max" mod in this map, meaning there are no limits on how many base structures can be built." can this be enabled or disabled prior to playing? Incase I want the limit to remain?
No, this limit modification cannot be enabled or disabled but I think my statement is misleading as to how this effects the game play. Although it is true there are no limits on structures, this statement essentially just means you can build more than 5 research centers, factories, cyborg factories and unlimited oils/generators.

Since each player would average about 18 - 22 oils throughout the game, there is not enough oil to make use of a 6h factory or 11th generator.

The only reason I put this no limit modification was to allow players to build more than 5 research centers in the event their ally quits, disconnects, not researching or is eliminated. If someone loses their ally, that person would still be competitive if they were able to make 10 res centers and capture their allies oil. Keep in mind, this is a 2v2v2v2v2 with 10 total players.

I intended for players to be able to continue playing a fair game on their own. This is also part of the reason why I chose ~20 oils per player because that player can make use of their allies oil. Otherwise, they might quit too thinking it's pointless to even try.

Another scenario I think this will benefit is if only 2 teams are left in a prolonged game. Being able to make unlimited oils + generators will help avoid stalemates.

This no limit mod is not intended to modify game play or strategy in anyway nor do I think it will even have a noticeable impact (remember this is a 20 oil map). It's just a mechanism to allow for uninterrupted game play.
Berg wrote: Make the map without mods
I do dislike mapmods prefer the mod and the map separate