Has this been looked at/tought about?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Has this been looked at/tought about?

Post by AWarZoner »

Iluvalar wrote: In real life, the inaccuracy is materialised by an angular variation from the intended angle. For different causes : Experience of the shooter and quality of the weapon mostly. It's because you have limited ammos that you have an "Effective range" beyond which it you can't try to shoot.

That would mean that your chance to hit would be strongly correlated to the size of the target. And that's how it work in real life. However there is another very important factor : Armour. And in real life, even if there is still engineering for an absorbing armor that slow down the projectile or use other approach to reduce the damage, most efforts are put into deflective armor. Which deviate the projectile or entirely stop them. That's what make the most plating of a tank. You could "hit" the tanks for a lot more longer range with your rifle, but if you can't aim for weakness in the plating, you will most likely waste your ammos.

In Warzone2100, we don't have deflective armours and nobody plan to add it. We have a fixed accuracy and a fixed range instead. That mean that you have just as much chances to make relevant damage to a cyborgs than a python tank at the same range. And we have a weird HP system that compensate the remaining. Like big enormous factories that only have the HP of 3 single man-sized armour. (try to explode an entire building with 20 bullets in real life... :lol2: )
Jorzi wrote: Now the cross section area is a*b which is equal to a rectangle of sqrt(2)*a * b/sqrt(2).
At first I tought just interesting!
Now the more I think about it the more I get absessed with it and the more I wonder how to implemented it in the game?

P.S.
First Quote by Iluvalar
Second Quote by Jorzi
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Re: Has this been looked at/tought about?

Post by AWarZoner »

Adding this would probably require rewriting the in game engine? Or can this be modded (using a mod) into the game?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The best way to make any rts game that does this, is probably to use the World of Tanks engine and implement AI:s for the tanks.
That said, Ground Control did have a basic system with different armour levels in front, rear and sides, which was quite nice.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

Men of War series implemented this, in theory it could be implemented by adding an "armor" value to each model face and a "penetration" value to every weapon but it would be better to design a system from the ground up.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Zarax wrote:Men of War series implemented this, in theory it could be implemented by adding an "armor" value to each model face and a "penetration" value to every weapon but it would be better to design a system from the ground up.
Spring Engine allows similar features to this, especially shown in Spring 1944 where each side of a vehicle has varying armor thickness and different tanks and guns have different penetration values that decrease with greater distance. There is also the implementation of fear for troops but I doubt that would be useful for this topic :wink:
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

Well, deeper customization would be fun indeed, problem is finding the coders for that...
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

The game is open source, but the problem is that I doubt the features are possible with the Warzone 2100 engine.
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

Well, as long as you just stick to 4 faces (front, sides, rear) it wouldn't be too hard to code but the problem lies in design as it would fundamentally change gameplay.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Would be interesting if they also added top armor for artillery and air attacks, but I agree that the problem would lie in the design. And what would the thickness be based on?
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

That's another issue but as it would be likely restricted to mods we could easily use it for WWI and WWII based projects...
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

IIRC, Warzone had values for front, back and side armor. They were not being used and got ripped out rather than implemented.
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

I see, too bad the idea hasn't been followed.
however, if someone would pick this up I could raise interest in the world of tanks community as I collaborate in one of their most popular blogs.

Since their community is huge it may turn into a possible source of additional manpower for wz2100.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Zarax wrote:I see, too bad the idea hasn't been followed.
however, if someone would pick this up I could raise interest in the world of tanks community as I collaborate in one of their most popular blogs.

Since their community is huge it may turn into a possible source of additional manpower for wz2100.
Possibly, but WOT is a TPS I think. I doubt they would be hugely interested in an RTS but who knows :)
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

I play both, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out there...
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Hesterax wrote: The game is open source, but the problem is that I doubt the features are possible with the Warzone 2100 engine.
Yes WZ needs a new game engine!
Zarax wrote: I play both, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one out there...
I want to play WOT and WOWP but my PC dosen't have a graphics card!