Tornado Towers

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
richard14110
Trained
Trained

Tornado Towers

Post by richard14110 »

When an opponent's VTOL(s) are next to the tower, it will pull the vehicle(s) to the top of the building. This would prevent the enemy VTOLs from being repaired because those units cannot return to a repair facility and those vehicles are unable to be rearmed by a rearming pad.

Man-made tornadoes are possible. Click http://www.geek.com/news/energy-from-ma ... g-1532607/ for information about the Atmospheric Vortex Engine.

Each tornado tower with at least 1 prisoner must be destroyed first, then the opponent's VTOL(s) may return for rearms and repairs. A tornado tower should have an appearance similar to a cooling tower except larger:
Regular tornado towers can hold 2 VTOLs. After a research, tornado towers may bind 3 air vehicles.

Four enemy air units can be absorbed by every tornado tower after the final research.
Last edited by richard14110 on 22 Jan 2014, 17:54, edited 9 times in total.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Re: Balls of Yarn

Post by Cyp »

When you launch a ball of yarn, a kitten should run across the map towards the ball of yarn, knocking over any tanks in the way. If it sees any VTOLs, it would run after them and swat them, before going to the ball of yarn. After π research upgrades, each ball of yarn should attract 3 kittens. If the enemy destroys the ball of yarn, the kittens start meowing, and then walk away again.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Vacuum Towers

Post by Berg »

Call it a dyson anty vtol tower and it dont loose its suck till it dies.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Why use vacuum towers if you could destroy them instead. :?
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
_Cody
New user

Post by _Cody »

I suggest King Kong smashing the enemy VTOL to the ground.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Ok Richard, you seem like a nice guy and I think you mean well, but these sort of ideas are wasting your time because they are just not going to happen. You have to understand that making any sort of changes to this game takes considerable time and effort on the part of the programmers. It is not just a matter of pressing a button and BOOM the feature just magically appears, these types of ideas can take literally months to implement.

The game has been under development for years and it is now basically "what you see is what you get" in regards to units and stuff. This means that it is better to think about enhancements to the existing feature set things like: if you notice something wrong with balance or a way an existing unit/structure can be made to work better.

Like I said before, I know you mean well, but posting really outlandish ideas is probably doing to irritate people and also confuse the suggestions pool.

Note to those it may concern: Maybe it is better to police the ideas and suggestions pool a bit better and actually remove those ideas that are not a possibility - or have an "Accepted Ideas List" where appropriate suggestions can be moved.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Just a few questions about the vacuum tower:
If the vacuum tower reaches its maximum limit of VTOLs held it is pretty much useless. So can you release any of the VTOLs? And if so, can you choose which VTOL to release?
Just wanted to ask.
richard14110
Trained
Trained

Post by richard14110 »

Hesterax wrote:Just a few questions about the vacuum tower:
If the vacuum tower reaches its maximum limit of VTOLs held it is pretty much useless. So can you release any of the VTOLs? And if so, can you choose which VTOL to release?
Just wanted to ask.
Why would you want to allow your opponent's VTOL(s) to return for repairs and rearms? My vision is the opposite of yours and the more units a tornado tower holds, the greater its usefulness should be.

Tornado towers should be built somewhat close to each other because if at least one structure absorbs to the maximum capacity, another tower can pull the remaining vehicles.
Last edited by richard14110 on 22 Jan 2014, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
richard14110
Trained
Trained

Post by richard14110 »

Rommel wrote:Ok Richard, you seem like a nice guy and I think you mean well, but these sort of ideas are wasting your time because they are just not going to happen. You have to understand that making any sort of changes to this game takes considerable time and effort on the part of the programmers. It is not just a matter of pressing a button and BOOM the feature just magically appears, these types of ideas can take literally months to implement.

The game has been under development for years and it is now basically "what you see is what you get" in regards to units and stuff. This means that it is better to think about enhancements to the existing feature set things like: if you notice something wrong with balance or a way an existing unit/structure can be made to work better.

Like I said before, I know you mean well, but posting really outlandish ideas is probably doing to irritate people and also confuse the suggestions pool.

Note to those it may concern: Maybe it is better to police the ideas and suggestions pool a bit better and actually remove those ideas that are not a possibility - or have an "Accepted Ideas List" where appropriate suggestions can be moved.
Rommel should post his own "Accepted Ideas List" within the "Ideas and suggestions" forum and then his ideas may be the foundation for my suggestions. Anyone else who submits a similar list can have the support of the members of this forum.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Brainstorming can be big fun and sometimes useful ideas come out of the wackiness. Maybe we should create a CalvinBall 2100 thread to concentrate (and isolate!) the silliness in one place.

It is worth remembering that Warzone has a backstory, a theme and certain features, like unit design, that make Warzone different from other games. It also has a certain 'reality'. Sure, it is sci-fi, but things in the game both make sense in that world and obey the laws of physics (in a Warzone-ish, gamey sort of way).

Vacuum towers are certainly novel, but they fail the 'laws of physics' test. There is something called the Inverse Square Law, which you may learn about later in Physics class. You might have noticed when you turn on your home vacuum cleaner that everything in the room is not immediately sucked into the machine. In fact, the further away something is, the less force it feels. Not to get too mathy, but if you are twice as far away, you feel 1/4 the force, 4 times as far away and you get 1/16 the force. This makes vacuum towers a poor weapon once you get out of knife-fighting range. And very unlikely to end up in the game.
richard14110
Trained
Trained

Post by richard14110 »

stiv wrote:Brainstorming can be big fun and sometimes useful ideas come out of the wackiness. Maybe we should create a CalvinBall 2100 thread to concentrate (and isolate!) the silliness in one place.

It is worth remembering that Warzone has a backstory, a theme and certain features, like unit design, that make Warzone different from other games. It also has a certain 'reality'. Sure, it is sci-fi, but things in the game both make sense in that world and obey the laws of physics (in a Warzone-ish, gamey sort of way).

Vacuum towers are certainly novel, but they fail the 'laws of physics' test. There is something called the Inverse Square Law, which you may learn about later in Physics class. You might have noticed when you turn on your home vacuum cleaner that everything in the room is not immediately sucked into the machine. In fact, the further away something is, the less force it feels. Not to get too mathy, but if you are twice as far away, you feel 1/4 the force, 4 times as far away and you get 1/16 the force. This makes vacuum towers a poor weapon once you get out of knife-fighting range. And very unlikely to end up in the game.
My topic has been updated because a vacuum does lack the range and absorption of a tornado.
Last edited by richard14110 on 22 Jan 2014, 17:54, edited 2 times in total.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Re: Tornado Towers

Post by montetank »

I don`t want to waste my time to read this silly ideas. It is enough. It was a real torture for my curiosity, patience and nerves. But now my patience run out. Stop it-please. :evil:
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
richard14110
Trained
Trained

Post by richard14110 »

Calm down. Sorry and I didn't intend to initiate your madness.

Why would you consider my post to be offensive? Please explain.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

montetank wrote:Stop it-please. :evil:
It is better you start to think realistic about your suggestions it maybe fun to have your text exhibited on the internet but please put more thought into it.
Thank you
Berg
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

So you think that it is useless for the vacuum tower to have the capability to be able to release VTOLs. What if the vacuum towers have reached their maximum limit of VTOLs held and the enemy has researched and upgraded their VTOLs and are now sending heavily upgraded VTOLs which are now destroying your base. The reason I wanted the vacuum towers to be able to chose and release VTOLs is so that you can release VTOLs that will harm you less in order to free space in the vacuum tower to suck in VTOLs that would cause more harm.
Of course this assumes that this tower will ever be made. :wink: