Oil Driller Unit

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Oil Driller Unit

Post by Rommel »

I talked about this in another thread, but thought it might be better split here.

I would propose a discussion about an oil driller unit (or someway to place oil wells where you want). This in effect could negate rush type attacks by allowing you to build your oil where ever you want. Without a working prototype it is hard to know if it would be feasible or not so it really has to be a thinking type exercise.

Lets say the oil driller unit is like a truck, ie available without research. The oil driller could also be made to only work for one well so you would need to output one for each oil well you make (thus creating a price for oil wells as has been talked about for derricks).

Maps could then be freed up from the requirement to position wells in a fair manner, rush type attacks could be negated a bit as it would be hard to know where a player might be putting their base and also with the idea of having a MG on the derrick it could also give a quick way to make early defenses.

There could be a cap also on how many oil drillers (therefore wells) a player could have - maybe a setting determined at the start of the game or some such IDK.

Just like any idea it could be worth exploring or not...
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Oil Driller Unit

Post by NoQ »

Why would anybody drill oils anywhere but near their starting position?
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:Why would anybody drill oils anywhere but near their starting position?
Maybe if there were only certain terrain types that could be drilled, idk - then I guess we get back to the main distribution problem.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
richard14110
Trained
Trained

Post by richard14110 »

His ideas are favored by me.
Last edited by richard14110 on 16 Jan 2014, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Being able to gather oil where ever you want makes early scouting pretty much useless. But back to being able to drill only on certain terrains... Could bring back a bit of strategy.
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Would you need a seismic exploration truck to locate likely places to drill?
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

This minds me of "Machines" by Acclaim, a game as old as Warzone. In Machines you had to seach for Oil derricks with the "locator". The locators were quite slow. :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Could bring back a bit of strategy.
I'd rather not throw it away in the first place, so that i didn't have to bring it back.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

I have to agree on that. :3
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

I like this idea. I support it.
This could open up for some new strategies and mapping.

I have a number of ideas, so I will list them.

Let's keep the oil derrick and have the oil drillers. The wells are still important strategic points and then you could build these drillers but at a limited number of them.

Then there is an option to research and increased limit of these drillers, ex. base limit is 3 and increase it to 5 and so on.

Another option is to make them have a "life span", from when they start pumping up oil they will only work for 5 min and the they will be depleted.

Drillers could not be build within 5 squares from another driller or derrick, just to hinder stacking them together in a "safe zone" with heavy defenses.

Drillers can be weaker, in order to reduce the impact on the game. Like 0.5 oil output of an derrick.
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Ubermad wrote:I like this idea. I support it.
This could open up for some new strategies and mapping.

I have a number of ideas, so I will list them.

Let's keep the oil derrick and have the oil drillers. The wells are still important strategic points and then you could build these drillers but at a limited number of them.

Then there is an option to research and increased limit of these drillers, ex. base limit is 3 and increase it to 5 and so on.

Another option is to make them have a "life span", from when they start pumping up oil they will only work for 5 min and the they will be depleted.

Drillers could not be build within 5 squares from another driller or derrick, just to hinder stacking them together in a "safe zone" with heavy defenses.

Drillers can be weaker, in order to reduce the impact on the game. Like 0.5 oil output of an derrick.
If this were to happen then this could be adding too much micromanagement in the game (Which Warzone 2100 is trying to avoid in order to focus on the action and combat itself) with the constant searching for new positions for the drillers, or it could shift the focus when researching, so instead of trying to research new weapons or improving them and all that, player would be putting in more focus on increasing and upgrading the drillers.

Just a question, after the oil drillers lifespan runs out, would you need to find a new position and if so, what would happen if they run out, like in some other RTS games? :?
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

Well yes, the micromanagement problem.. Always a pain in the ass of people with ideas.
But I think that if a player chooses to research upgrades or focus on placement of drillers is going to benefit them in the battle then that is up to them. Either it works or not is up to them to discover a balance.

After they run out and become depleted you would need to find a new place to place a driller. The old and depleted driller is going to sit there and prevent any more drilling there. When drilling is no more possible at the map it's over with it. The point with these drillers is to give a small boost, not replace the derricks.
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*