feature object request

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
tmp500
Trained
Trained

feature object request

Post by tmp500 »

hey guys,

i wanted some road signs for quite a while now... people keep complaining bout where the damn oil is on my maps, and in general on low oil maps i guess.... so if someone would be so kind and implement those symbols, i would be very appreciative! dunno bout the scale, how big they have to be to be recognized. i think those map items are called features? think it would be nice if one can shoot those symbols down. thanks, tmp
sign_rnd.jpg
Attachments
signs000.obj.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
sign001.tga.zip
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 274 times
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: feature object request

Post by Berg »

Nice signs tmp500 the sings can only be viewed from the front as there is not back face texture you need to have back facing poly with a texture on.
The size is so tiny in wmit you have to zoom in 1000% to see them.
If you add back faces to the actual sign part i will scale them up and convert to pie2 when done the game only uses PNG format for textures too so I converted yours to PNG no drama there.
when you fix them gimme a yell in irc.
object format # This file uses centimeters as units for non-parametric coordinates.
PIE2 format # This file uses Pixels as units.
So in a scale of -64 to 64 is 1 tile width on the map the average scav is is about 30 pixels high so sign??? not sure how tall to make that so you can actualy read it.
Maybe Trial and error for scaling up.????

Good Stuff
Berg
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

For the back face issue, either just duplicate the faces and flip normals, or, if you want a plain metallic backside, like on many real signs, you can use the same texture as on the pole.
As for texture itself, it's quite large. I think you could fit the same detail in a 1024 texture by simply rearranging the elements to eliminate the black space. For a working prototype, the current one works just fine, but if you want it included in the game, gpu memory needs to be considered. Also for map-mods it's good to keep the download size low.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
tmp500
Trained
Trained

Post by tmp500 »

hey,
1- i extruded the the sign plates, or did u guys just want opposite polys without a poly for the depth?
2- i stacked the uvs more closely, had to downsize the texture to 1024.... no idea how big the textures are, that are provided with wz... i can redo the textures for a bigger res if that is necessary, but hard to imagine that those signs with 1024 would pixelate ingame...
3- bout the ingame scale.... hard to say... guess thats an error and trail process? real world would be smaller than a derrick, tree, but then u wont see the symbol. too big could look strange... no idea. :idea:
Attachments
signSingle000.zip
(13.2 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
signs002.obj.zip
(11.14 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
sign002.png.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 289 times
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Looking good :)
I can make them into .pies, but I'm not sure how to include them into the game (I only have experience of replacing existing stuff, maybe just let Berg handle it)
1) Either way goes I guess, polycount is pretty low anyways.
2) With the current zoom levels available in wz, no chances of ever spotting a pixel (unless you have an 8k screen, but I'm not sure we support that high resolutions anyway)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

In 3.2/master, adding new features is really easy. Just put your new PIE model into data/base/features/, open data/base/stats/features.ini, copy an existing section that seems similar, change what you feel like, and change 'model' to the name of your new PIE file. Next time you recompile, it will be in the game.

Of course, making it appear in the game is a bit more complicated, since we do not have an up to date, maintained map editor. But you can use ctrl+o cheat to place it and see how it looks in-game...
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Well, adding custom features to FlaME is as easy as adding them into 3.1.
tmp500
Trained
Trained

Post by tmp500 »

ok great, guess the basics are solved. berg already converted the signs to pie, thanks for offering jorzi. guess it still needs a test ingame so we can see how big they should be.

i dont need them right this moment implemented as a hack, but would like them integrated normally into the game some time in the future... no idea what is needed to make this happen...